Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which tyres for comfort?

merv187

Can anyone recommend tyres which will give me a more comfortable ride on a Carrera 2?
I have only had had the car for 6 months, it is currently on Pirelli Rosso P Zeros. I find them noisy and consider the ride to be very harsh. They also seem to be prone to tramlining, and do not inspire confidence over white lines. I know all the arguments about N rated tyres, but I am prepared to consider non N rated for a bit more comfort.
I would be grateful for any comments/suggestions regarding tyre brands or patterns etc.

Hi Merv, I have the same tyres on my 19" Carrera 2S wheels and dont find them to be that much of a problem. Infact I think they've also done really well in this weather

My dad has Michelin pilot sports on his (which dont seem as good as mine in the snow/ice conditions)

I'm sure someone else can help with some other brands and info....

Cheers :thumb:

Most of the tyres for 19s will be very similar. The only exception I experienced was when I owned a 987s that came with Continental 19" tyres that I felt had reduced grip and made the car feel wallowy. I changed to PS2s and the difference was huge.
I am assuming you have 19s if yes then the only other way is to go to the standard 18s that the C2s came with which will give you more rubber at the side and soften up the ride.
One other idea, get some snow tyres for winter, they tend to be softer as come with more rubber but youll need to swap them back to summer tyres if temp rises above 7 degrees.

Are you completely happy with tyre pressures and the Geo setup before you go changing tyres at this stage. It makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I have tried experimenting with pressures, but noticed little difference, so I'm back to recommended.
I am considering going down to 18s, so there might be a set of good 19" carrera classics for sale soon!
Michelin Pilot Sports keep cropping up, they are a distinct possibility.

If the question is really about COMFORT then my experience over the years with all sorts of 911s (but not yet a 997) is that the P zero rossos seem to create the lowest road noise and softest (relative) ride but tend to wear more quickly.
But for grip and overall ballance I would go for Michelin or Continentals

Now I need to change and very likely I will put Pzero Rosso as those are the ones I have in the front and they have a lot of life left.
But what if I choose Contis or PS2 ?? Has anybody have different tyres on the back rather than the front or is it a no no in terms of balance of the car ????

Theo :?:

I think you'll find the biggest improvement would be to switch to 18" wheels if you have 19s. There is a clear difference. As far as tyres are concerned I've found the Michelins to be the pick of the bunch, offering the best balance of grip, comfort, wear and noise.

Every time I get a bit tired of the ride I remind myself that it's a performance car and the handling is better on low profiles, and for that I stick with the 19s.

Depends whether you want your Porsche to behave like a GT or a sports car.

Once again thanks everyone for your comments, they really are appreciated.
I am on 19s and think I will definately go for 18s, and I would consider a staight swap. Mine are 19" carrera classics and I would rreally like a set of 18" carrera S wheels (no other reason than I like the look of them).
If anyone is interested I can give more details and photos of mine.

Before you swap, be sure to check compatibility. Is yours a C2S or standard C2? The 18s are not recommended for the C2S, for example... and 997.1 and 997.2 fitments are not identical.

I'd be interested in your observations after the change, as will others fearing large dental bills after a few years on 19s so do post an update...

i have 3.6C2 gen 1 with 18inch original tyres and find the ride comfortable, only feel a bit of uncertainty when hard cornering but its not a track car so im well happy!

Also not sure if Insurance will be an issue... as in if its not original porsche spec (N rated) then will you need to inform Insurance. I would be pissed off if i crashed and didnt get a pay out coz i didnt tell them about the tyres!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a1jgh
Back