Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Calipers and scratched interior ...?

If the exhaust/wheels are non Porsche then does anyone know if this would be an issue for buying an extended warranty? Neither was flagged by Porsche in the 111 point check and I understood this checklist would form the basis of what needed to be done prior to a warranty being offered.

Separately, has anyone come across an impartial review/forum link of the S vs a standard 997?

Thanks a lot (and BTW - I have no issue with the dealer on this ... I should have known something wasn't right).

Robertb said:
I don't think you can over-rev a tiptronic.

My error. Totally right. :wack:

MJ99 said:
If the exhaust/wheels are non Porsche then does anyone know if this would be an issue for buying an extended warranty? Neither was flagged by Porsche in the 111 point check and I understood this checklist would form the basis of what needed to be done prior to a warranty being offered.
MJ99 said:
MJ99 if you have hand a 111 point check done by an OPC, then the things mentioned above should have been check already. Was the OPC aware that you where doing this, as you intended to take a warrenty out? Did they have any concerns?
The exhaust and alloys may have been options from new. Have you checked the codes in the log book? Some one on here will be able to tell what the codes refer to.

MJ99 said:

In short the answer is yes, it will or should I say it is likely that they won't offer an extended warranty on it. They may have said this to the independent dealer who may have not relayed this back to you. Have they given you a copy of the 111 point report by any chance. (Unlikely, as k to see the original report and if they don't have it go to the opc that did the inspection)

Something to consider and trying to understand what "could" happen in the future. Lets say you are provided with a warranty. Then later you have a claim which is say engine related. If the exhaust is non standard and say a performance exhaust and used as a reason why they decided not to honour your claim, you may find yourself arguing the fact that the exhaust was on the car when you bought it. They could argue that the 111 point inspection would have picked this up and their records show that nothing was, therefore the exhaust was fitted after the warranty was issued.

I'd certainly get any non standard part fitted to the car confirmed by the Insurance company/opc that these items will not have any bearing on any future claim. Of course what you'll be doing here is possibly identifying areas which the opc will insist is put right before the warranty is sanctioned. A cost I doubt the independent will want to incur.

I believe you have to own the car for at least 3 months before a warranty can be purchased for the car in any case, if indeed it doesn't already have one!

MJ99 said:
Separately, has anyone come across an impartial review/forum link of the S vs a standard 997?

I remember an early Total 911 mag ran an article about the standard 997, saying it was a great car, and he actually preferred it to the S.

I had a nasty scratch on the leather on the centre console of my XKR- the dealer got one of the 'smart' repairers in, who did a fantastic job.

my own view is when you drive the two
the first thing you notice is the brakes
The 'S' has the 996 turbo brakes and are so much better

the 3.6 certainly drives better than a 996 C4S

But you soon notice the extra torgue in the 3.8 S

i must confess that i personally dont like the PASM, the sport mode is too stiff
the standard suspension on the 3.6 is nicer

BUT strangely i like the 20mm lowered lsd option on the 3.8 S which a lot of people say is too stiff

i personally think it tighten the car up nicesly and i think it sint as stiff as a PASM equiped car in sport mode

Well again in the interests of balance it looks like a nice car with a nice spec and at a pretty good price.
Although I have never dealt with them, Hagley sell a lot of Porsches (and other more exotic stuff)
See if you can get an extended Porsche warranty following the 111point check.(get the report too) Or if not, a good aftermarket one.
I think if it passes the 111 point check then the warranty should be available.
As said above it will not be the first time someone has modded a car with a different badge. Lots of Carrera 2s have S wheels as an option, and the quad exhausts look much better than the boring oval ones. So both could be Porsche parts.
Just ask the dealer to sort out the leather.
Good luck whatever you decide.

You have to own a car for 90 days and give Porsche a copy of the reg document to prove it in order to get an OPC Warranty
( otherwise all my cars would come with one)

Didn't realise that Mark. Useful information.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back