Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 battery problems

Many thanks.
It was quite hard to get the leads to reach the back of the luggage compartment, so good to know there is a better option at the back!
RTFM!

Batery problem

Hi people,

I have a 996 1999 and it seems to have problems with the battery. I went for a drive yesterday for an hour and the meter was between the 12 and 14 marks but then after a frosty night it just about turns over the car, is this normal or do I need a better battery. I looked and have an 067 battery which I am told is better than recommended. To be honest I am bloody tired of this car and the Porsche word, I thought I'd bought the best in German engineering and have bought trouble.
It's a gorgeous looking car but boy it has got me in debt. Sunroof next, leaking. Really guys , the battery does seem to drain very quickly indeed.
Any ideas. I do not drive very big distances but even when driven for an hour it still seem to lose the charge quickly, much moreso than any other car I have had.
I wish I had stuck to my Alfa, really, People say Alfas are trouble but this is a bad joke. I saved 15 years to buy my dream to find it is a nightmare.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 05e8_3_137.jpg
    05e8_3_137.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 479
Re: Batery problem

joolspirog said:
Hi people,

I have a 996 1999 and it seems to have problems with the battery. I went for a drive yesterday for an hour and the meter was between the 12 and 14 marks but then after a frosty night it just about turns over the car, is this normal or do I need a better battery. I looked and have an 067 battery which I am told is better than recommended. To be honest I am bloody tired of this car and the Porsche word, I thought I'd bought the best in German engineering and have bought trouble.
It's a gorgeous looking car but boy it has got me in debt. Sunroof next, leaking. Really guys , the battery does seem to drain very quickly indeed.
Any ideas. I do not drive very big distances but even when driven for an hour it still seem to lose the charge quickly, much moreso than any other car I have had.
I wish I had stuck to my Alfa, really, People say Alfas are trouble but this is a bad joke. I saved 15 years to buy my dream to find it is a nightmare.

Thanks in advance

Mate, your car is nearly 10 years old: If it's still on the original battery that is absolutely outstanding! I got a Bosch Silver when mine finally gave up the ghost at 8 years and 95,000 miles.

As for your sunroof - have you checked the drain holes? If they are blocked, the water has to go somewhere!

996 Battery

Thanks everyone for the help and advice, both in the FAQ and in reply to my question. Thought I would feedback my experience in case it helps anyone else.

My March 04 996 Targa Tiptronic had its original battery, which had died on me. Jump started in London off an old military landrover (battery to battery, didn't read the handbook!!) without any problems, drove 2+ hours to Worcs (voltage meter up around 13.5+ so alternator fine and should I think have been sending charge to the battery even with lights on etc?). But was completely DOA, would not start again 30 secs after switch off.

So jumped again, using the rear connections, from the wifeybus (no problems again) and zipped off to Halfords in Worcs. Their bloke was brilliant. He said he did not have specific instructions about 996 and so could not be 100% certain what was the right procedure for changeover. So I said I would buy a battery and take it home, then when I did the changeover if it went bad I was at least on my drive, not his car park.

Turned engine off (no choice really) and went in to do the deal. 4 year guarantee Halfords Calcium HCB096, about £97. No doubt there are cheaper options, but I needed a fix there and then, and the guarantee may be useful! The plan was to jump the car from the old battery then take it home for the changeover.

But when we tried that (rear contacts) it just wouldn't turn over. Tested the new battery, even tried another, both tested fine and when the leads went on the boot light got brighter, but the car wouldn't turn over at all. Alarm went off every time we tried (probably sensing voltage crash?), but no turnover.

Finally I wondered could the problem be the exisiting battery draining the current instead of it going to starter motor. So with nothing to lose, I put the key in the ignition, turned to first position (as per advice elsewhere on the forum), and we changed the batteries over. Alarm did not go off, and when we reconnected the new battery the car started first time and there don't seem to be any issues with radio or anything else. Job done.

In fact the car turns over noticeably faster now than when I got it (6 months ago), so the battery has probably been duff ever since then. Something to discuss with the main dealer it came from. But I did notice the Halford battery says 680 amps startup power (same as CCA?) whereas the OEM battery said something in the 300s, so maybe things have moved on in four years?

One day later I went on hols for a week. On return after sitting 8 days on the drive the car started good as gold first time.

Sorry for long saga but heres the key facts summary: 1) Four year old battery is probably due for a change anyway (should be old enough to know this now!). 2) Halfords Worcs were super helpful even if not the cheapest, bloke spent 30 mins with me and wouldn't even accept anything for a drink. 3) Jump starting front or rear didn't seem to upset any electronics. 3) Changing battery over with key in ignition and turned to first position didn't set alarm off and didn't seem to upset any electronics.

Enjoy your cars over Christmas folks.

:lol:

PS anyone else had problems with Targa roof sticking (or was that a battery problem too!?), or with a slight hesitation in the accel when going from throttle closed?

Attachments

• cimg1661emailable_904.jpg
    cimg1661emailable_904.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 462
wagonface said:
9) The car 'goes to sleep' after 4 days of no action. Various systems shut down, including the remote alarm facility. Top tip for unlocking easily: Unlock using the key in the door. Immediately lock it using keyfob remote, then unlock it using keyfob remote. Much easier than unlocking using key and quickly having to jump in car and put key in ignition and turn.

What a brilliant post!

Due to the salty roads and icy weather plus not wanting to spoil my DIY detailing efforts the turbo has been parked up for 8 days. Went to give it a run around the block this evening but remote wouldn't open the locks. Thinking the battery had been drained and expecting the alarm to sound any minute I went in search of info and found this post which diagnosed th problem straight away ... top stuff :thumbs:

Rich.

cigarette lighter

Hi,
Does anyone know if the cigarette lighter in a factory 2002 996 C4 is live ?
I have just returned from a months holiday to a flat battery. I have ordered a CTEK 3600 maintenance charger and was hoping it could be charged by this way.

well push in the lighter, if it pops out hot, then its live !

I finally got around to posting pics of how I avoid a flat battery with my car parked on the street. Extra wire and plugs are available from Maplin, and the connector attached to the battery itself is available from most places that sell CTEK chargers (eg Vertar). I now have a 964, but for a 996 you can actually hide the black connector plug underneath the bonnet just near the windscreen wipers, so you never need to open the bonnet/doors etc.

Attachments

• and_into_the_car_via_a_permanent_lead_connected_to_the_battery_119.jpg
    and_into_the_car_via_a_permanent_lead_connected_to_the_battery_119.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 267
  • across_the_pavement_138.jpg
    across_the_pavement_138.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 267
  • ctek7200_going_out_the_door_141.jpg
    ctek7200_going_out_the_door_141.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 267

New Threads

Forum statistics