Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which 911??

jettdt

I have been running a C63 AMG for nearly two years now and am thinking of changing it for a 911 cab. around March. If I went new I would be looking at a standard car, which performance wise is down on my C63. But I have seen a few second hand turbos out there for similar money to a new gen 2 model, which would then be better performance than the C63.

I guess I am struggling with the fact the gen 2 turbo has just come out and it will probably bug me as I prefer the look of the faeclifted 911. What is the concensus on the facelift would people go for that or go for the performance and get a two year old turbo? I would be keeping it for at least three years and by then looking at a car out of warranty, needing MOTs etc if I went the second hand route.

Lifes hard with decisions like these to struggle with!!
:?

For the sort of money you are looking at, you should be able (dependant on spec) to get a later turbo which will come with the daytime running lights and probably upgraded satnav PCM 3. They are different look wise anyway. Keeping it 3 years will have you looking for Porsche warranty year on year of which there are numerous threads on. You may not be aware that Porsche only offers a 2 year warranty from new, so you will be in that situation from purchase unless you get it from an OPC to start with where a year will be included. Shop around as Its around 1300 big ones a year for peace of mind, although I have yet to hear of a turbo going bang on this forum.

Great car though and very different to your present steed :thumb:

Performance wise why should you see a loss?

My 911 C2 is capable of 4.8 to 60, and 188mph. I sell new Mercedes, and am unaware of a C63 being any quicker point to point!

You'll certainly lose the kick of the fuel guzzling V8, but gain in terms of traction and chassis finesse. You won't have to stop for fuel so often either....LOL

£215 road tax and 22mpg is nice too...

The ridiculous running costs put me off a (Staff discount!!) C63 to be honest, as much as I like them, and it's nice to own a purpose-built machine rather than a modded saloon car.

Thats what I was wondering, on paper the C63 has the edge on acceleration, (autocar test 4.4 secs) but lower top end, but realistically the top speed becomes unusable anyway on the road so its the acceleration I like.

I was thinking that I probably would not really notice any difference as they are so close and as you say the porsche is more sport car than my AMG. Its just I was thinking with the Turbo I would get the feeling of another jump in performance, that said I prefer the styling of the newer C2 and it would have longer warranty so as long as that feels as quick as my current car I would be more than happy.

I was just a bit concerned that I would find the C2 slower which would feel strange going form a saloon to a sports car and it feeling slower. From what you are saying this wont be the case, have you driven the C63's at work out of interest?

Guess I will go and test drive soon, but I am still about 6 months away from buying and don't want to get drawn into changing too early and know what I'm like sitting in a showroom of shiny cars!!!

"I was just a bit concerned that I would find the C2 slower which would feel strange going form a saloon to a sports car and it feeling slower. From what you are saying this wont be the case, have you driven the C63's at work out of interest? "

Never driven one but passed on few on track(they are barges).

A well driven 997C2S/C4S will simply leave it for dead on an a-road.

You can pick up a 2006/2007 low mileage/nice spec GEN-1 C4S coupe for £45/50k if you shop around. Most 2007 cars have the OPC warranties

Get yourself to an OPC, jettdt, and borrow a C2 or C2S on 24 hour extended test drive. Obviously not a PDK one (quite a few loaners seem to be PDK) unless you want a Gen.2

I think you would definitely notice the difference with a turbo. I used to drive a regular Carrera Cabrio and switched to a turbo and the difference is awesome. The massive surge of power that you get when the turbos come on stream is completely addictive and like nothing you would get in the Merc or a non-turbo Porsche. I'd go with the second-hand turbo every day of the week and twice on Sunday!!

One other point...what do you want to do with the car? If you want to go for track days then frankly any current generation porsche will prove an awesome car and you'll soon get hooked as much on going round the bendy bits as giving it full beans on the straights!

As somebody else said, get yourself down to an OPC and book some test drives. Have fun!!

Thanks for your replies, will go for the drives, definitely want to go the porsche route as it seems a natural progression. I like the fact it has 4 seats as I have two young kids.

The car will be for everyday use plus I would not mind the odd track day, but am a little concerned re Insurance and warranty issues.

Hmmm....

The AMG is a bit of an animal for sure, which is great when you want coarse thrills, in the manner of other over-powered and under-developed monsters, and I'm not knocking it, us blokes like a bit of excess power.

But...

The Porsche is such a docile beast by comparison, without the rear end flappiness or plough-on understeer that beleaguers the vastly over-engined Mercs.

While the C63 will be punchier, the Porsche rewards smooth and skillful drivers with a breathtaking ability. The light front end is capable of swift directional changes, while the well, laden rear wheels offer phenomenal grip whatever power is forced upon them.

In old money, think of the difference between an MR2 and a Sierra XR4i. Both fast, but only the MR2 showing any signs of finesse!

Both great beasts, but differing flavours. The 911 should hang on to most of it's value, and almost certainly cost less to run... :thumbs:

Can't lose with a Turbo. Sounds like you may as well go with the newer, especially if already favoring its changed appearance. Fun fun fun :thumbs:

If straightline speed is the only factor! Go for the turbo. Even the Gen 1 Turbo will eat the C63 or even the nutty RS6 alive! Autocar quote 50-70mph in 6th <6sec. Not many cars can live with that. Can't imagine what the Gen 2 turbo can do!
Although the gen 2 997 C2S (0-100mph around 10seconds) is a fair bit slower but I really find the performance is more than enough for everyday driving. Take a look at some youtube video from Gustav, that meteor grey PDK 997 beats the E55 AMG, a tuned M3 and embarrass the R8 V8. It can also keep up with a tiptronic 996 turbo and a tuned M5 estate. Sadly, it got smoked by a Gallardo!

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back