Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice for a soon to be Gen1 997 C2S owner.

jfb1977

Monza
Hi guys,

After many years I will be realising a dream and finally getting my hands on my first Porsche 911 in January. It's the car I've wanted since I was 10 years old and despite having driven some "nice" cars (Boxsters, TT, SLK350, M3) they've all really been stop gaps until I could afford a 911, which now I can.

I'm going to be getting a 55 / 06 reg C2S in either Balsalt or Atlas.....the search starts now. It's all very exciting, although (even though I won't have the funds in my account until December) I'm struggling to sleep thinking about picking her up!

One thing I'm pretty sure the car I end up buying won't have is bluetooth or an ipod interface as the MY I'm looking at didn't come with these options and the thought of taking my SIM card out every time I get in the car is a non-starter, so that's something I'll want to do straight away. My understanding is that Connect2 make and "all in one" BT and Ipod interface. Is this the way to go? Does it give phone control through the key pad on the dash etc? And do playlists / track titles etc appear on the PCM display with this unit? Any advice appreciated.

Also, I'm an engine noise addict, and unless I'm very lucky and find a car with the switchable PSE, the exahust is likely to be another instant modification I make. I've read a few posts that talk about a simple engine bay mod that can "open up" the exahust (I'm guessing this is like in my mate's Aston Vantage, you remove a fuse and the butterfly valve in the exhuast defaults to always open). Is this right? If so, can someone describe the process for doing this on the early Gen 1 cars. If that's not an option I'm thinking about a Tubi style exahust from Scuderia Systems. Anyone got one on their car (or similar)?

Sorry for the "war and peace" post - just got a lot of things I need to find out about!

:thumb:

Joe.

hi,

options for BT / iPod are moBridge and Dension/Tooki. Both integrate well with the PCM and you can use the buttons on the kepad as well as the steering stalk. make sure you budget £800 for this.

I have the moBridge and am happy with it. Preferred the all-in-one solution rather that 2 different products. Got JZM to fit it for me.

This topic has come up a couple of times now. might be worth gauging interest in a group buy.

mines also a '55 plate MY06 model. I'm not sure if the telephone module was standard so make sure the car you're looking at has it or it may work out even more expensive to fit the BT.

Welcome, yes there is a simple mod for the PSE so its always noisy as mine is. Do a search of the item as Mark Pearce from Stirlings has described it from memory!

Thanks for the swift replies guys.

Jamie - you've got PM.

Quick question...if a car has the chrono thingy (i.e. stopwatch on the dash) - does this mean it will also have a sports exhaust or could those options be spec'd individually?

jfb1977 said:
Quick question...if a car has the chrono thingy (i.e. stopwatch on the dash) - does this mean it will also have a sports exhaust or could those options be spec'd individually?
they can be specced individually. its called sports chrono plus if it has the sports exhaust as well as the stopwatch.

you can tell i'm bored at work 'cuase i don't usually post this much :D

And you can tell I'm "working" from home today! :wink:

I thought that there was another solution to the phone system whereby you buy a pay as you go phone, take the simm out, pop that in the tray and leave it there and when you get in your car divert all calls to the pay as you go number. Not ideal for making calls as you will have to top up but maybe better than risking warranty with an aftermarket set up.

Sports Chrono has NEVER included a sports exhaust, but if a car has a PSE & Sports chrono there is no separate exhaust noise switch as it is incorporated into the sports chrono switch
The sports chrono plus was a £550 option a PSE was an £1100 factory option price, i know theree is alot of talk about how desireable it is but i bet most people dont use it after the first month unless they track there cars.

The cost of a PSE is now £1600 + vat + fitting and you no longer get the polished tips. I do have one exhaust in stock at the old £1100 price which some lucky buyer can have at cost but i'm sorry its only available if you buy a car from me.

it takes 20 seconds to unplug the connector in the engine bay and you have the permanent loud setting, and you'll never plug it back in , or at least none of my customers have yet!!

I personally wouldn't bother with a mobridge or dennison why not burm some MP3 discs in an afternoon and use the £500 to go towards an PSE?

I wouldn't worry too much about a blue tooth phone or divert to sim cards etc,
the microphone on the Porsche phone is in the wrong position and over 50mph no one can hear you anyway
The Mobridge shows spurious faults in the PCM come service time and you then have warranty implications.

spend £70 on a good bluetooth headset its easier.

in my humble opinion the extra you'll get the most pleasure from is probably a PSE, if i had the choice of Nav or a PSE I'd go for the PSE, In my opinion BOSE is over rated and why do people spend more on BOSE in a car than they do on a HI Fi at home which has far better accoustic properties, if you look where the rear BOSE speakers are, behind and almost touching the rear seat uprights you'll see what i mean, i can hardly tell the difference of a car with and without

I've bought one of these iPOD Fm transmitter and it works pretty well. I'll find the references for you.

xave

Good points worth thinking about there, Mark.

~ Maxie :thumbs:

+1 for Marks comment

I agree the BOSE is over rated....also a total waste if you are pumping compressed MP3 music through it. It would be a want rather thn a need if I was looking at another 997.

I've got an FM transmit for my I-Pod but its a pita on long journeys I find myself changing the station every 50-100 miles in some areas of the country. But I can live with that knowing I save £500! :lol:
Might start a thread on 'what station do you use on your FM transmistr?'

PSE is nice but if I bought I car without it I would consider 3rd party like a Danske over the Porsche OE (if you are out of P warranty)

My Boxter has a standard Stereo, and the 911 a Bose.

The Bose is a world apart. :thumbs:

The proper iPod setup is, also, a world apart from heinous, crappy FM transmitters, which frankl;y, should be banned as they are dangerous, taking your eye off the road.

FFS guys, buy a Porsche, and spend £2 on the HiFi???? :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back