Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sports exhaust without switch?

mrbon007

I have just put a deposit on a 2006 C4S which has a "sports exhaust" but the sport switch doesnt make any difference to it?

The dealer says this is beacuse you could choose not to have the switch - it was factory fitted and is listed on the original invoice as "sports exhaust system" at a cost of £1160 inc vat.

Is this the switchable system or are there different types available from the factory? Did people really not get switches, and should it be noticably loud as the exhaust didnt seem to be too aggresive on the test drive!

Hi, if the car has sports chrono (you will know from the lap timer on dash) and sports exhaust from new i.e. factory fit then the 'sport' button has nothing to do with the exhaust. The exhaust isn't switchable - it just kicks in at higher revs unless you do the simple modification in the engine bay to make it always loud.

The Sports button on such a car, simply switches on Sports Chrono which remaps the ECU to give quicker throttle responses, PSM kicks in later and also turns PASM to sport.

I would guess that the switch isn't making any difference because the wiring to dissable the PSE has been unplugged in the engine bay. This is easy to do and very common.

It should be easy to tell - is the car loud ? PSE should be.

I should add, the windows really need to be down to get the full effect of the PSE. 8)

hi
yes it has sport chrono plus and basically all other options that were available at the time, however i was of the belief that the exhaust could be turned on/off like on the 996 sport exhausts?

does the specs of the car mean it has been set up without a switch or is this the case for everyone with the exhaust?

as for loudness it is very loud when you start it up then gives off a low rumble, at moderate speed it has a growl to it but not what i have heard from the old 996 exhausts which were crazy loud.

i am coming from an E46 M3 which obviously has a very tinny exhaust note so thought the C4S exhaust note would stand out a bit more when driven?! unless of course someone has downgraded the exhaust for some reason, but it has one small tip and one large tip each side which i believe is how it should be...

Jamie, are you saying i will only notice it when i really give it some? this may explain it as it didnt tear the life out of it on the test drive!

Hi,

I too came from an M3... the sound is very different. The PSE is noticably louder...not ear splitting - just sounds very nice. I think it switches automatically when doing between 10mph-30pmh , so it is not too loud when driving in suburban areas etc...
Nail it above 35mph and you should be able to tell whether it is a PSE!

As Jamie said, you can disable this'auto-quieting' feature very easily... then it just stays on loud - Nice!

Enjoy!!!

hiya, ive got a 2006 4s with sport ex too good choice! mine does have the switch. massive difference with it on and off. the car sounds quite refined and almost too quiet with it off. As for when you turn it on, it makes a good growl when cold, this calms down a bit when its warm. Ive been told however that it is much much much louder outside the car. My best mate has an m3 csl - which has an awesome sound to it inside the cabin and out - he could hear my PSE over his own exh system whilst we were both gunning it!

Enjoy

exhaust

i have a 997 C4S cab the vacuum switch in engine bay kept sticking as there was a problem with the exhaust. you can pull the lower air pipe off the grey switch and it should change the note of the xhaust straight away. Had the exhasut leak sorted so my switch in the car does what it should do. can you find another 997 to compare it with? at a dealer maybe

Jamie said:
Hi, if the car has sports chrono (you will know from the lap timer on dash) and sports exhaust from new i.e. factory fit then the 'sport' button has nothing to do with the exhaust. The exhaust isn't switchable - it just kicks in at higher revs unless you do the simple modification in the engine bay to make it always loud.
The Sports button on such a car, simply switches on Sports Chrono which remaps the ECU to give quicker throttle responses, PSM kicks in later and also turns PASM to sport.

Hi Jamie,

I havea 997 c2s sports chrono, now how would i go anout having in loud mode all the time please?

cheers robin.

Jamie said:

Hi Jamie,

I havea 997 c2s sports chrono, now how would i go anout having in loud mode all the time please?

cheers robin.

DON'T pull the vacuum pipe off, that will just leak your vac system. There is a plug that needs disconnecting, search the interweb, some kind soul has posted the how to somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back