Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Example of a Scam Advert on Autotrader

Will Statt

Updated by the a site moderator to show a good example of an Auto Trader Scam Advert

Example of a Scam Advert on Autotrader

HPI CLEAR===BUY IT NOW FOR 15,000 GBP! !Carrera 4 S 3.8 Litre 355 BHP model with 6 speed manual Superb Arctic Silve metallic Black leather heated seats, alcantara roof lining and multi-function steering wheel and grey dial faces Porsche factory sat nav with telephone built in and 6 disc CD multi player and single CD and Bose upgrade sound 19" Porsche Carrera S alloys with gold coloured crest centres and Bridgestone Tyres (6mm + all round) On board computer and factory cruise control, Climatronic air conditioning.Air Conditioning, Climate Control, Cruise Control, Electric heated seats, Leather Seats, Parking Sensors, Power-assisted Steering (PAS), Power Locks, Power Windows, Tilt Steering Wheel Safety Features: 4-Wheel Drive, Alarm, Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), Driver Airbag, Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Immobiliser, Passenger Airbag, Rear seat belts, Safety Belt Pretensioners, Side Airbags, Xenon headlights. £15,000.

Attachments

• scamadverta_629.jpg
    scamadverta_629.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 24,807
Unless I am missing something what would be the object of this advert, nobody would part with money upfront or unless they were sure of the situaution would they? Can anybody expand on what this thread means please Mike

Few things that makes this an obvious scam
1. Price too good to be true
2. Too many repeated descriptions to make the add look impressive and detailed but a lot of them are actually wrong i.e ESP rather than PSM
3. Contact is only an email address so you never know the real identity

And of course when you read it again you will find more details that are wrong...

Theo

mike brown said:
Unless I am missing something what would be the object of this advert, nobody would part with money upfront or unless they were sure of the situaution would they? Can anybody expand on what this thread means please Mike

Mike in short the thread means watch out you do not come a cropper and lose money on an advert that 'seems to good to be true'. The object of this advert is to scam you of your money. The car may be stolen or it my be the usual Nigerian scam where someone owes him money and so could that person passes you a cheque so that you can cash it and pass the £15k plus the cheque value to the seller.

The cheque clears but later on down the line the bank realise it is a stolen cheque and withdraw the funds from your account. Unfortunately the banks cannot lose as a 'cleared' cheque is not what it seems.

Pip

I learnt loads on scam spotting when I spent months looking for a VW Transporter for a campervan conversion.

The must useful and often overlooked, was look at the photos. They'll always be stolen from an old advert somewhere if dodgy.

Are they in season? i.e. it's mid winter, are there leaves on the trees, does it look like winter with the low sun and long shadows?

Most Ebay scammers are large operations of many, many staff so they can work quickly and get hundreds of fraudulent ads on before being closed down. Often the seller account will be selling hundreds of under priced desirables, from campervans, to Land Rovers, to sports cars, to jet skis and speed boats, all added within hours of each other.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back