Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Solar power battery charger

cowan3.6c

hey folks,
im not able to drive the 911 so much these days as ive a kid now, so when i jumped in the car for a run i found the car struggled to start, looks like the battery! ive been looking on here and found a few people have trickle chargers and ive found this solar one (as mine is parked on drive) which im going to try out, only problem i have is that my cigar lighter is not live when ignition is off, is this something that i can fix myself or will it need OPC??
http://www.nigelsecostore.com/acatalog/Solar_car_battery_charger_2W.html

Many thanks

Alan

I've been looking into this for my 993 as it's going to be spending most of the winter off the road and I don't have power to my garage. I'm fairly sure the 993 cig lighter is not active when the ignition is off either, so I've been looking at one with crocodile clips that connect direct to the battey...ok so a bit more hassle to disconnect on those sunny dry winter days, but better than a flat battery.

Should be doing more research this weekend and then hopefully purchasing one next week. I'll let you know how I get on!

nice one, i might just go the croc clip route aswell if its going to cost an arm n a leg to have power on all the time to cig socket!
how do you route the cable to the battery? although will be different on 993.

c.afsar what 911 do you have and how have you connected to battery?

thanks

It came with both cigarette adapter and the croc clips.

- I use the adapter connected to the cig adapter and leave the charger resting on the dash.

I think there was a recent post here about one of the members fitting an adapter to the battery for easily charge, connected directly to the battery.

A few points to note,
-The internal cable to the cig adapter is about a metre in length.
- The actual solar adapter is designed for internal use, however there is a note that by sealing the connection can make it fit for external use.

I have seem cheaper brands on ebay, but I can't recommend this product enough! Two weeks of standing, saturday AM, turn and the key and go, knowing it will turnover = priceless IMO.

c.afsar said:
I can't recommend this product enough! Two weeks of standing, saturday AM, turn and the key and go, knowing it will turnover = priceless IMO.

:thumb:

Good call Afsar!

~ Maxie :)

My intention is to put the solar panel on the roof of the garage and run cables through a hole down to the bonnet of the car. That way I can keep the car garaged over winter and not worry about the battery. Am thinking that I just need to get a long enough cable, and weatherproof the solar panel.

Alien Ghost said:
I've been looking into this for my 993 as it's going to be spending most of the winter off the road and I don't have power to my garage. I'm fairly sure the 993 cig lighter is not active when the ignition is off either, so I've been looking at one with crocodile clips that connect direct to the battey...ok so a bit more hassle to disconnect on those sunny dry winter days, but better than a flat battery.

Should be doing more research this weekend and then hopefully purchasing one next week. I'll let you know how I get on!

Worth checking as it seems to vary - mine is powered all the time, and I use a solar trickle charger and just lead the cables out through the door.

cowan3.6c said:
just ordered one from this site as the powerbee site didnt work and was £4 more.

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=SE170

how long do people expect to get out of a porsche battery? mine is 4 years old now.

Typically 3 years is a fair life out of a battery so if you're at 4 you're doing well but it could fail at any time. It will typically lose a cell and just not start one day. If you don't want to entertain the idea of getting stuck, at 4 years I'd change it but I'm not one who enjoys getting stuck waiting for help.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back