Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I'm thinking of buying 997

There is Gen1 C2,C4 & C2S,C4S and Gen2 C2,C4&C2S,C4S and the Gen2 was released in 2008. I would say the primary difference is the new generation of engines & the PDK. The latest engines are new design and are now Direct Injection thus lower emmissions

Theo

I'd make sure you drive the C2 and C2S before making a decision. However, if your like me I felt the C2 felt better to drive than the C2S in terms of experience. The S didn't feel as nimble and I really did think I felt the extra weight. You soon get used to the S though. ;)

However, by the time you specified all the bits you want that come standard on the C2S like Xenons etc the price of the C2 pushes you into C2S territory and it's hard to ignore the extra power, second hand values and the like of the C2S. You still have extras you need on the C2S and this is called the "slippery slope of must haveness". :grin:

Firstly, I went thru the S or non-S question - decided on the S purely for the added bits as standard, the badge and also desirabilty when coming to sell.

Secondly, I use mine as a daily drive and dont have a 2nd car, tho sometimes I do wish...! And the 997 has been fine - very little in mintenance costs thus far, and I have an indy warranty - tho hopefully wont need to use it!

Its been the best thing that I have ever owned - I just love it!

Hello!

I've had mine as a daily driver for 2 and 1/2 years and hasn't cost me anything apart from routine service, tyres and additional warranty at 2 years old.

Cracking car! Buy well.

It has got to be................ :D

Attachments

• 4009_thumb_150.jpg
    4009_thumb_150.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 8,292
X2 makes you go tingly at the very sight of it 8)

My annual mileage is pretty low, about 7000pa. I've been advised that I should definately NOT consider owning any 997 without a Porsche extended warranty costing £1250pa as although brilliant cars they are prone to blowing engines at 7k a time.

For someone driving higher mileage each year then the warranty is more reasonable vfm but less so for me. Bit like all Insurance it only comes into its own when you need it, and again I suppose I am comparing it with BMW offerings.

Are there any other warranties, ie 3-4 year 3rd party warranty, that could be considered .. or are they useless and its Porsche warranty or nothing?

It has also been suggested that a 993 4 wheel drive model should be considered as the air cooled engines are "bullet proof" and owners don't need Porsche warranty on those cars. Apparently, although they are down on the 997 S2 power, they are a lot lighter and still pretty nimble. My only comment is that even if you get a low mileage 993, its still a 12 year old car with a c£22K price tag, but may depreciate slower than the 997 ?

Oh, just to be clear, its not a money thing, its a value for money question.

Any suggestions ?

thanks

I'm no 993 expert but whilst the engine is more bullet proof, I think you will find that on an annual basis a 993 will cost you more to maintain than a 997 which you pay for a warranty on.

The 993 will obviously depreciate much less - if at all.

You say 997's are prone to engine failure, yes I agree and that is why everyone recommends a warranty however will point out that the vast, vast majority of them are OK.

Jamie said:
I'm no 993 expert but whilst the engine is more bullet proof, I think you will find that on an annual basis a 993 will cost you more to maintain than a 997 which you pay for a warranty on.

The 993 will obviously depreciate much less - if at all.

You say 997's are prone to engine failure, yes I agree and that is why everyone recommends a warranty however will point out that the vast, vast majority of them are OK.

Actually a good* 993 is cheaper to run than a 997, even discounting the depreciation, IMO. No need for warranty, much cheaper road tax, and Insurance is probably lower too. But OP is right, 993 is 12+ yrs old and really if you are liking the 997 then that is the one to go for unless value for money really is the clincher over modernity/practicality then a 993 Tip offers bags of v-f-m.

*Assumes well maintained and has had suspension renewed.

Hi!

I have had a 2005 997 C2S from Jan this year, which I use every day for work - so far without any problems (I don't like tempting fate though) :nooo:

It was my husband's choice of car and my only proviso was that we could fit a baby seat in the back for my grandchildren :) It is also our only car as Roy rides his motorbike to work, but it has really been amazing, almost like a mini tardis with the amount of 'stuff' you can pack in it, especially with the rear seats folded down.

The reason we went for the C2S (apart from the fact that my husband preferred the ride) is that there is much more room in the boot than with the C4S and that's pretty important when it's your only car. We also decided for the saloon over the cabriolet for the same reason (more room in the back).

I do hope this helps, but I also agree with everyone else, that no matter what you buy - as long as it's a 911, you will LOVE it :thumb:

2S or not to 2S?
May be also Gen II vs Gen I?

Its mainly heart vs head (while yr wallet sits whimpering in the corner).
A few points to consider:
> The Gen II C2 is only 10 bhp down on the Gen I C2S
> With a PDK it is probably quicker
> Also lighter on road tax and fuel, if that matters
> Many C2 cars come with 19" wheels which look better but the standard 18" give a slightly softer, quieter ride (from a few brief tests)
> Twin tail pipes can be retrofitted.....what does an "S" badge cost?!
> The C2S sits lower (due to PASM?) which is quite noticeable around the wheelarches, to my eyes
> The S is only 10 kg heavier - about 1/4 of a tank

So for all of these good, logical reasons I bought a C2S because I knew that, if I went for the C2, I would have to convince myself all over again each time I saw an S!

Whichever you choose, they are just brilliant cars.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back