Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Luggage capacity

db01

Maybe a stupid question, but what is the luggage capacity of a 997 like? I do a lot of travelling, week long trips to the US, Japan etc. I normally take a folding suit carrier type thing. How much can you fit in the bonnet of the 997? I've started to have Cayman thoughts because reading the reviews, it seems the Cayman has a lot more storage room.

997 carrera 2 front tub is the same as a cayman
C4 is slightly smaller due to the front differential

rear room is fairly good as the rear seats fold, you could get a suitcase/ suit carrier there no problem and still have room for a briefcase & laptop bag under the folded down seats

As many will atest to on here, you can get a lot in the car. I took my son when he joined the RAF recently to Halton from Wakefield a journey of some 185 miles with all of his kit in. The front boot swallowed (just) a full size and very well packed out large bergen, inside was the rest of his required kit including a full size ironing board. This did stick into my shoulder a bit, but went in, as did my good lady. So 3 up with all that and no internal damage at the end. It is all about packaging. :thumb:

In my C4s I get a quinny fold up pushchair under the bonnet with a sports bag on top, my 5 week old son in a rear facing chair in the back, my wife in the front and I still have one rear seat free so id say a 997 has far more room than a cayman. And how cool is that parking in the mothers and babies spot in tesco in a 911??

:worship: :worship:

Never had any real luggage capacity issues with my 997 even with all the wife's clobber, just need to get the right size bags and a suit carrier folded will sit nicely on top of them in the front boot ( the rear boot is rubbish because someone stuck an engine in it!). Loads of useful space behind front seats as Mark says.
Why not visit a dealer with all your normal luggage and see which fits the best, drive both cars and then decide :?: . The Cayenne holds even more but would you want one? Good luck!

I think I have opened my own can of worms. I can get a fully loaded Cayman S for about 10k less than a C2S.

I've just sold an Exige because of the impracticalities. I have a car for ferrying around the wife and two kids. 'my car' is realy only used for work commute, too and from airports and taking my son to football and that kind of stuff.

I'm now beggining to wonder if the Cayman S is a more sensible option for me in terms of budget and intended usage.

I've never driven a 911 or a Cayman S. So I have no real world comparatives other than Autocar magazine rating the Cayman S over the M3, Evora, 370z gt ultimate and the new Audi TT RS.

I first 'thought' 911 because it's the ultimate Porsche, but if on the road comparisons between a Carrera and a Cayman are not that great and I can get the same luxury levels (if not more) for significantly less money, then maybe I should take the sensible option, enjoy the Cayman S for a few years and then upgrade to a newer 911 (can only afford a MY 04 997 at the minute) when the budget is less pressured.

db01 said:
I think I have opened my own can of worms. I can get a fully loaded Cayman S for about 10k less than a C2S.

I've just sold an Exige because of the impracticalities. I have a car for ferrying around the wife and two kids. 'my car' is realy only used for work commute, too and from airports and taking my son to football and that kind of stuff.

I'm now beggining to wonder if the Cayman S is a more sensible option for me in terms of budget and intended usage.

I've never driven a 911 or a Cayman S. So I have no real world comparatives other than Autocar magazine rating the Cayman S over the M3, Evora, 370z gt ultimate and the new Audi TT RS.

I first 'thought' 911 because it's the ultimate Porsche, but if on the road comparisons between a Carrera and a Cayman are not that great and I can get the same luxury levels (if not more) for significantly less money, then maybe I should take the sensible option, enjoy the Cayman S for a few years and then upgrade to a newer 911 (can only afford a MY 04 997 at the minute) when the budget is less pressured.

I owned a 3.2 987s from new back in 2005 and drove plenty of caymans so my thoughts are as follows:
1) Cayman is more nimble than 911.
2) Less room in Cayman if you are tall and the seating position is higher, much prefer sitting in a 911 but I am 6"3
3) Ride is firmer in Cayman, 911 PASM off is more in between GT and sports than out and out sports.
4) As an everyday car Id sooner be in 911 every day of the week, as a weekend car id still sooner be in 911 but im not that bothered about driving at break kneck speeds any more, if I was I think a Cayman would be a better option as a weekend car, especially when cost is factored in.
5) Cayman is in a different class to TTs etc.
6) Looks wise I think the cayman looks lovely but you cant beat the look of a fat arsed C4s.
Just a few of my own opinions and my advice would be try a few of each variant to see what suits the kind of driving you want to do. Definatley try a cayman with pasm and one without, maybe one with 18" alloys and one without. Non pasm cars definatley communicate better through the road but pasm is just brilliant at making our uk roads tolerable in a sports car.
Im sure others have different opinions but its good to get a whole spectrum of thoughts. Good luck with a rather pleasant dilema.

baxster said:
In my C4s I get a quinny fold up pushchair under the bonnet with a sports bag on top, my 5 week old son in a rear facing chair in the back, my wife in the front and I still have one rear seat free so id say a 997 has far more room than a cayman. And how cool is that parking in the mothers and babies spot in tesco in a 911??

I do the same... I have two identical car seats at the back for my 2 year old and 3 year old and when I park at parents parking people look at you with anger until the see the kids at the back.... :D
And the 911 is our main family cars for long trips!!!!! Kids love it!!!!

Have you tried looking at a Targa? They are a bit like a Cayman in that you have a rear opening hatch and is the most practical 911 available. Coupled to the folding rear seats, you have more room in there than the Cayman.

~ Maxie

db01 said:
...I've never driven a 911 or a Cayman S...
You can only decide for yourself when you have driven both. The Cayman has plenty of supporters, but the new Cayman S courtesy car I had for a weekend was IMHO much less satisfying than the 997.

Good luck and enjoy the process :thumbs:

baxster said:

Maybe I'll start pushing the Mrs for kids so I get a wider parking bay and don't feel terrified of my doors being banged while i'm shopping :floor:

On a more serious note, I had a problem with the Cayman cabin feeling too small and cramped compared to the 997. Probably due to a MASSIVE engine being right behind your head covered in carpet :roll:

I'm not a fat b*stard but I am 6ft 2" and it all felt a bit cramped.

The Cayman S is a fantastic motor but i'm so glad I got a 997 S instead. It's just a lot more car and I prefer the looks. The rear section of the Cayman looks like an after thought but side profile is almost better thn the 911 (shock, horror, flame!!). Performance wise the Cayman S was great around corners but lacked a bit of punch....well after I drove a 997 it felt like that.

As someone mentioned it still is practical. I can easily fit four or five shopping bags under the bonnet with room to spare. Putting the back seats down also gives a lot of space. Best thing I've done is got rid of the smaller hard suit case for weekend trips and gone for a nice soft bag which molds into the recess :puh:

Thanks for all the replies. Budget has dictated, so it's a Cayman S.

db01 said:
Thanks for all the replies. Budget has dictated, so it's a Cayman S.

You won't regret it. It's an amazing car - I've had a Cayman S for 3 years and am now waiting for a brand new C2S to be delivered. You'll also find that the Cayman can carry a surprising amount of luggage hidden from view (as much as a Mondeo!!), which may be a priority in certain districts.

I regularly go away for a week with a mate or one of my kids and we get all the luggage in easily (soft bags).

However, I need to get both children in now, having got rid of my 4 seater, so it's a 911 for me - plenty more room (and oomph!!) in the back.

Enjoy your purchase - most enjoyable car I've ever owned.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back