Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake Noise

jezzar1

Hi All,

I have developed a rather annoying squeaking (metal on metal rubbing noise, cant think of a better word!) noise when braking, obviously coming from the brake discs. Does anyone know a fix for this? Would it be something that is covered under my warranty?

Thanks for your help.

jezzar1 said:
Hi All,

I have developed a rather annoying squeaking (metal on metal rubbing noise, cant think of a better word!) noise when braking, obviously coming from the brake discs. Does anyone know a fix for this? Would it be something that is covered under my warranty?

Thanks for your help.

Like brake squeal when light braking? Probably your shims have detached themselves from the pads...

I noticed a bit of brake squeal developing over a week or two. Normally I'd expect a bit of spirited braking to break up any glaze on the pads, but not on this occasion.

I decided to clean the car inside & out and as usual during the hour and a half it took, the discs showed a light coating of rust. It seems the abrasive quality of the rust was sufficient to clear the glaze during the first drive and the squeal never reappeared :thumbs:

I'd be a bit worried about the "metalic" sound you mention. If it's a grinding noise, the first thing I'd check is the brake pad thickness. You might also check that you don't have a stone chip stuck between a caliper and disc.

Cheers,
Roy :bye:

brake squeal

I've also noticed a squeal in my brakes under light braking but the squeal is not continuous but an intermittent one which makes me wonder if one of the discs is warped or at least not perfectly flat...I've only got 17k kilometers or 10k miles on my newly purchased 2005 997. Anything serious to worry about?

I had exactly the same thing happen to my '07 C2S.

I was miles away from any OPC and so took it to a general brake and tyre place and went under the car with a decent guy who 1) seemed to know what he was talking about and 2) told me from the outset that he wouldn't touch it (so he had no "angle" as it were).

We examined the pads and discs together. These looked fine (extremely light wear) and so he recommended that I clean the holes cooling holes and internals of the discs to remove the build up of pad material.

I went around each disc and used a steam jet on each hole, then jet-washed around the circumference of the disc. I don't think the steam jet is actually necessary - a good domestic jet wash unit will do the trick - just remember to keep away from the caliper piston seals.

Voila - no noise.

Took about 20min per wheel, so I took the opportunity of cleaning the inside of each rim as I went.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back