Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

NEW LIGHT WEIGHT LI-ION LITHIUM BATTERY

manogh said:
10 kg drop in weight is definately worth it...esp when one arrives at the track....but only time will tell if its the best way to lose 10kgs...lets see what the future unveils for us all.

If you were looking for the lightest specification available, you want the lightweight seats, lightweight headlights, delete air con, delete audio system, without clubsport (i.e. ditch the cage - it is heavy) and then the lightweight battery. While 50-60kg lighter, you will have then spent over £111k on something with a crippled residual value though...

(What use and RS without cage and harnesses, but even if you left those in, the lack of air con has been proven to make then unsalable at anything near book price in the past).

Oh - anyone else notice that on the configurator the nasty logo on the front right wing is not there? [The one on the left rear still is though].

You seem to have taken my point. Its a great way to shed weight (even if only 10 kgs) without ruining a great car. A 996 RS will become a sought after POrsche in time to come. Its the last pure machine...no electronic interface between the driver and track. Making an RS better (by making it lighter) without ruining it means you have limitations to what you can do. 10kgs from the battery, 20kgs from the exhaust, 18kgs from the wheels, PCCB, 2kgs from the quarter glasses, 12kgs from the doors, 6kgs from suspension...your RS is still every bit an RS but something a whole lot better. My RS tips the scales at 1290 kgs and has 410 BHP from the Manthey K410 mod. To me, losing the 10kgs from the battery makes immense sense....as i said, let time guide us on whether or not its a good option.

Guys...check out www.braillebattery.co.uk .... :lol: they have batteries that weigh as little as 5kgs for cars....i am definately buying. Just getting the techno-gurus to give me guidance on the right one for a 996 RS...will keep you posted.

manogh said:
Guys...check out www.braillebattery.co.uk .... :lol: they have batteries that weigh as little as 5kgs for cars....i am definately buying. Just getting the techno-gurus to give me guidance on the right one for a 996 RS...will keep you posted.

They aren't as light as the voltphreaks as they use a traditional battery chemisty.

http://voltphreaks.com

Yep, i saw the volphreaks battery....looks more like a laptop battery but can it be used for an everyday application? Looks frightfully expensive too. What info do you have about them?

manogh said:
Yep, i saw the volphreaks battery....looks more like a laptop battery but can it be used for an everyday application? Looks frightfully expensive too. What info do you have about them?

Tony from Voltphreaks here. The model recommended for Porsches is the VPH750 (though the VPH450 will work also). In practice, what we've found is that you can park the car for 2 or 3 weeks and still start the car. This of course depends on what type of alarm you have.

In any case, if you do leave the car parked for longer than 2 or 3 weeks, you still will be able to start the car, due to the auto-cutoff feature, that will cutoff the battery before it's completely dead, leaving you enough power to still start the car. Here's a video demo (shows the situation of leaving the headlights on, but it's similar to leaving the car parked for a few weeks):

The battery also can be supplied with a remote on/off switch, so you can turn the battery back on after the auto-cutoff without having to physically get to the battery. The VPH750 weighs 5 pounds, so it's lighter than the Porsche lithium battery, and cheaper (though still expensive).

Tony...i am goining to try your product and have convinced a buddy of mine here in SA to buy one for his car as well. GLad you realise its frighfully expensive....so will you discount your price if we take 2. I am certain that dependant on the feedback we give you may get further orders from the forum and SA. I look forward to your response.

Yeah they are expensive. I was all excited until I looked at the price ;)

Tony how much do they weigh compared to OEM GT3 battery? Also are you shipping models with standard mounting sizes yet - saw something about them on our website (endurance model or something). Drop in replacement is nice as it saves messing.

who supplies the Porsche OEM unit and how does it compare to your ones?

p.s. Tony you must google voltphreaks a lot as I see your name all over these threads.

How Much?! (rhetorical) you could have a few spares in the garage for that.

Nice technology tho'

this seems like a pretty good way to shed pounds on a track car for a reasonable price - (as in i'm not particularly shocked by the numbers):

For example compare to some of the weight saving measures on my R26.R (so there is likely no or minimal brand premium):

carbon bonnet, must be well over £1k
titanium exhaust £2250 factory-fit (maybe more as a dealer supplied item)

and saves just a few kilos...

My point exactly...the perfect way to shed weight without ruining a car and most helpful on any trackday. I have committed to buying the voltphreaks unit (just waiting for a pal to do likewise-so we can save on shipping) and will post my feedback regarding the quality and performance of the unit and what my bathroom scale says...my RS has magnesuim wheels (Manthey BBS), carbon fibre doors, the Manthey Ti exhaust and the intrax Ti suspension by Oakley design all in an effort to shed weight - each of those cost an absolute fortune ... the battery (as expensive as it is) is the cheapest weight shedding step that i will be taking to date. I also learned that the bi-xenons are 6kgs heavier than the halogen units....I cannot recall when i last drove my car at night...so i suspect that i may be swapping those in the future....does anyone know if its a direct swap or does the wiring need to be changed

Everyone is saying this is good value weight loss, but whats the actual amount of kg shed?

I was under the impression the exhaust was the cheapest weight loss (and from a good place to lose it).

Having said that how many 10ths does a passenger add to a lap time and thats 70+kgs...

Thats the wrong approach to the matter. Easiest and cheapest way to drop the weight is to throw just about everything out the car - its also the best way to ruin a car. You could buy a Cup car, but then you could never drive it on the road. To answer your question about the passenger ...consider 2 cars each with a 70 kg passenger, only your opponents car is already 60 kgs lighter....i will wait for you at the finish line.. :bye: ...and the weigh saving in kgs is 18kgs depending on the weight of your current battery. Mine is 21kgs and the voltphreals battery will weigh 2.2kgs. :worship: :worship:

I have ordered and paid for a Li-Ion battery from Voltphreaks. They call it a VPH750 and say it weighs 5 pounds. I will post my feedback regarding the product after it arrives in SA and i install it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back