Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 408bhp 2010 limited edition 911 [997] Sport Classic

EllisO said:
Everybody seems to have missed an important detail - it's the first 911 with a 911 badge since the 911SC.

presumably this powerhike will be available as a power kit?

not sure thats quite right, there have been various special editions with 911 badges in the 996 range, 40th anniversary i think etc

and the 964 had a 911 badged special edition

this is also a special edition,

Love those fuchs wheels - wonder how theywould look on a 993 :?:

I think the exhaust sounds great. To my ears, it sounds different (deeper) than the sports exhaust. Of course it could just be the recording.
I also like the simpler look of the twin exhaust tips. I never understood the false quad tips when there are only 3 cylinders per bank.

I wonder if the new induction system could be retrofit - probably too expensive.

EllisO said:
Everybody seems to have missed an important detail - it's the first 911 with a 911 badge since the 911SC.

964 celebration was badged as a 911

Since I don't think anyone has pointed it out yet - the eye-watering price is down in part to the entire interior being a showcase for the Exclusive department. If you specced all of the possible exclusive trim pieces you can push the price of any Porker many thousands over book price.

So it is mad, but for all practical purposes the price is just consistent with throwing the options book at a 911 with (reckless) conviction :eek:

Most disturbing of all - for some reason I think I actually rather like it. :wack:

I doubt that many will be seen in the UK though.

EllisO said:

presumably this powerhike will be available as a power kit?

The 993 GT2 had '911' badging on it too. The powerhike appears to be the Powerkit offered to the Gen 2 997 S models (their outputs are also 408bhp).

Other than that, absolutely love the car but do agree it is over-priced.

~ Maxie :thumbs:

I don't get it!

Sure it looks well , but I think Porsche have missed a trick here.
They point to the 2.7RS as if it's got the same DNA but this couldn't be further from the truth..
This ain't going to be a drivers car or an enthusiasts car , it's got more kit in it when it should have actually gone on a weight loss programme , the engine should have less power for more accessable raod going / track fun rather than the usual more and more (and it should be a track honed lump , ie fully dry sumped) and I would have thought a simpler suspension set up would have made for much more of a seat of the pants drive. The car should be smaller rather than bigger (AKA 4S rear)
And all this should have cost less , not nearly 50% more .. For a bloody shed load of exclusive programme bits that just make the car even heavier! :nooo:

Please Porsche , make us a real CS for heavens sakes!

ballcock said:
I don't get it!

They point to the 2.7RS as if it's got the same DNA but this couldn't be further from the truth..!

I wonder if they are confusing their ducktails ?

Attachments

• ducktales_852.jpg
    ducktales_852.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 19,240
:grin:

spot on and razor sharp!

ballcock said:
I don't get it!

They point to the 2.7RS as if it's got the same DNA but this couldn't be further from the truth..
This ain't going to be a drivers car or an enthusiasts car , it's got more kit in it when it should have actually gone on a weight loss programme , the engine should have less power for more accessable raod going / track fun rather than the usual more and more (and it should be a track honed lump , ie fully dry sumped) and I would have thought a simpler suspension set up would have made for much more of a seat of the pants drive. The car should be smaller rather than bigger (AKA 4S rear)
And all this should have cost less , not nearly 50% more .. For a bloody shed load of exclusive programme bits that just make the car even heavier! :nooo:

Please Porsche , make us a real CS for heavens sakes!

I agree with you but the trouble is it won't cost less if they put a dry sumped engine in it. The only NA one they have available is from the GT3 and that will cost waaaay more than a Carrera S engine with powerkit.

Moreover this isn't a CS in any shape or form its pure maketing and very successful it will be too. Personally this car does nothing for me - it looks very nice but I certainly don't want one.

As I'm sure you remember we had the discussion over on PH a while back over the ideal "CS" spec. As I recall it was something like:

- narrow body shell
- RWD
- no sunroof
- manual windows (if available)
- 3.6 DFI engine
- two bucket seats
- light 18 inch wheels (I voted for the Carrera 5 spokes ... )
- manual gearbox
- LSD
- Sports (-20mm) lowered suspension
- no hydraulic bonnet or engine struts (just thin rods)
- vinyl badging (a la RS)
- RS style plain door cards/door pulls
- minimal interior carpeting
- optional: cage; air con

With luck it would be 100kg less than a typical 997 Carrera and go like stink.

8)

I remember Tertius..

I agree a gt1 block would heft the price up , but look at the price of this car compared to even the RS!

To be fair I'd be happy with a 3.6 DFI in this one (no Intermediate shaft bearing !) , but as you say , Porsche are about marketing and profit , not enthusiasm for the sporting marque. It would be interesting if they found themselves with collapsing sales , would they suddenly consider the enthusiast market again and strip out a special selling it cheaper (like they've done in the past) aka 964 rs America?
.. I know this will never happen while Porsche remains a mass producer of prestige GT cars , but you never know the way things will go for the company in the next few years what with the VW upheaval..
I would not be sad to see that niche enthusiast sports car manufacturer of old returning to the market.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back