Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

NEW LIGHT WEIGHT LI-ION LITHIUM BATTERY

manogh

Hi, does anyone have any info oin the new lithium battery being fitted on the 2010 RS. I believe its 10kgs lighter and given that its mounted quite high up in the car, its sure to assist (in combination with several other weight saving steps) to improve handling. Who makes it for POrsche, What do they cost? etc

Re: NEW LI-ION BATTERY

manogh said:
Hi, does anyone have any info oin the new lithium battery being fitted on the 2010 RS. I believe its 10kgs lighter and given that its mounted quite high up in the car, its sure to assist (in combination with several other weight saving steps) to improve handling. Who makes it for POrsche, What do they cost? etc

All I can give you is that it is 1600Euro + VAT on the German price list, has a capacity of only 18AH, saves 10kg and doesn't function very well if the temperature outside is below 0 degrees (this is all in the German ordering guide and paraphrased as I had to babelfish it).

Frankly I think that a lead gel racing battery is a better bet and way cheaper if you were really desperate (though that would void the warranty of course). But lets face it - this is the kind of option that will only ever be specified by the kind of people who also delete their Xenon headlights (saves 6 more kg)...

1600 Euros and arctic weather... :? ...much rather follow your advice and enjoy driving in the sunshine 8)

And, do you really want this going on under your bonnet...

....WOW...no thank you...especially not near my fuel tank. I would much rather use my boring and heavy battery. Perhaps that the reason why car manufacturers have not been using them?

manogh said:
....WOW...no thank you...especially not near my fuel tank. I would much rather use my boring and heavy battery. Perhaps that the reason why car manufacturers have not been using them?

TESLA has about 1800 of them IIRC :eek: :eek:

remember folks these batteries are everywhere now;
following on from the video, do you put your mobile phone in the front trunk ? or laptop ?

Quite correct, we all carry cellphones in our pockets and we fall asleep sometimes with our laptops in our beds. We carry highly combustible fuel in our cars yet we push them to the limit on the track....but for the price tag i would fit the battery to mine....but perhaps its also the cheapest way to shed 10kgs without ruining the car. I spent a greater fortune on my Manthey BBS magnesuim wheels to lose 18kgs of rotational mass.

david_yorkshire said:
remember folks these batteries are everywhere now;
following on from the video, do you put your mobile phone in the front trunk ? or laptop ?

Yes, but they are not working at full capacity and generating heat at the time. Li-ion batteries are lethal if they overheat and overheating can be caused by over-charging, rapid discharge, impact or shock. There have been quite a few cases of exploding mobile phones, iPods and laptops (just Google it if you don't believe me) and these are very low voltage, low capacity cells.

I'm sure Porsche have done substantial research and testing, but I wouldn't pay that much extra, with a little extra safety risk, just to save as much weight as you could save by just eating a few less pies yourself :grin:

IMO that falls into the same category as the ridiculous carbon-fibre roof on the M3: Something to boast about - because "Oim considerably richer than yow", rather than actually making any appreciable difference to performance or handling... :grin:

not wishing to perpetuate this, neither is the car battery running at full stress all the time !

Li-ion or li-po exhibit thermal runaway when their voltage per cell exceedes a limit, and you contnue pumping charge into them, or you short circuit the cell.

I have used cells that will discharge in excess of 600A without damage; all it takes is the correct charging & monitoring circuitry.
which, for the premium that Porsche is 'charging' (LOL) I'd hope it should be sorted correctly!

there are lithium cells that also don't exhibit this issue, but they can't currently handle such high discharge / charge rates.

battery technology is proceeding at a rapid rate of knots at the moment - and becoming all the better for it.

I still think I'd go for the lightweight gel cell at the moment, and put the cash saved into hydrocarbons..

David

Personally I find the cost and that it is only 18Ah to both be good enough reasons to ignore it completely. Surely that means daily medium range drives or permanently plugged into a battery maintainer just to have the thing start reliably?

Another footnote to this thread. Just noticed on the UK configurator that there is an option on it to completely delete the entire audio system if you really want to put it on a diet... :what:

10 kg drop in weight is definately worth it...esp when one arrives at the track....but only time will tell if its the best way to lose 10kgs...lets see what the future unveils for us all.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back