Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Essential options when buying 2nd hand

db01

So I'm looking for a 997, can probably only afford an 04 or 54 plate C2.
What options should I be looking for and what are the subtleties within these options?

For example, all cars have air con listed, can I take this to mean climate controll?
I would like sat nat. Are there variations of this option? I've seen some listings that say 'larger computer', is this significant?
I'd also like blue tooth so I can use my iPhone, what option do I need to look for to allow this?

So, what would be on your list?
I think mine is;

manual transmission (strictly speaking this is not an option but worth mentioning for completeness)
leather interior
electric seats
sat nav
blue tooth
iPod upgrade (is there souch a thing)
sport suspension (is this PASM?)
what is PSM?

Sorry if this has been covered before!!

All have a leather interior, but there are alcantra trim options too.
The different kinds of seats might be important to you - standard, sports, memory, bucket. "Electric seats" are possibly the memory seats, but it would be worth checking.
Sports suspension probably means PASM but again, do check since it might also mean someone's changed the springs/dampers.
PSM (Porsche Stability Management) was/is standard on all 997s.

When i purchased mine it had some great options, factory slide tilt sunroof, 19'' upgraded alloys, £500 Gateway Dension Ipod dock in glove box, sat nav, Phone, etc! The more spec the better in my opinion and very essential if your on a buget and looking for 997C2 and not the ''S'' !!

Not that i'm plugging mine but just an example..

http://911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=1065

:thumb:

Similar to mine but mine is an "S" and has white dials. Are these an option or standard on the S?

db01 said:
So I'm looking for a 997, can probably only afford an 04 or 54 plate C2.

Try and hunt for a C2S as the price variation will not be that much at this age.

db01 said:
What options should I be looking for and what are the subtleties within these options?

This is hugely subjective but the common denominator amongst this forum would include:

PSE
PCM with Sat Nav
Bose Sound system
Sport Chrono

db01 said:
For example, all cars have air con listed, can I take this to mean climate control?
Yes

db01 said:
I would like sat nav. Are there variations of this option? I've seen some listings that say 'larger computer', is this significant?

Sat Nav is an option but can be retro-fitted to a 997 at a cost (considered not worthwhile amongst many). It's always better to seek out a car with it fitted from the factory. A variation on Sat Nav is 'Extended Sat-Nav' which I believe includes a facility where you can retrace your steps back to the originating point of your journey without having to key in all details again. (Hopefully a 997 owner will correct me if I am wrong). I suspect that 'larger computer' merely means the large VDU unit in the centre of the dash which most 997s have anyway.

db01 said:
I'd also like blue tooth so I can use my iPhone, what option do I need to look for to allow this?

I don't think you can mate your iPhone to a Gen1 997 using exisiting Porsche hardware. Most likely, you'll have to go after-market for this.

I have to confess to being a bit of a luddite in this area.

I think if you buy an S model, then you already have a good spec - Xenons, Adaptive Sports Suspension, etc., so go for something that's low-spec but best condition/lowest mileage with complementary wheels (whcih a dealer will normally change to your taste). Over-specced cars IMHO just command more at the dealers but never realise that on resale.

My last C2S had what I'd consider to be basic, but generally on all:

19 inch Sport Design wheels
Satellite Navigation module
Cruise control
Manual Gearbox
Standard seat
Rear wiper
Windscreen with grey top tint
Porsche Floor Mats

I added a MoBridge unit for iPod/Bluetooth and then I was happy.

My new (Jul-09) car only has sports seats and sports exhaust on top of this, but that was just because they were pre-fitted to the car that was at the dealer.

Hope that helps.

L

Thanks everyone :thumbs:

So do all 997's have the large screen? I though this WAS the sat nav :oops: :dont know:

db01 said:
Thanks everyone :thumbs:

So do all 997's have the large screen? I though this WAS the sat nav :oops: :dont know:

Not all; the GT3 and GT3 RS don't come with it as standard. The large screen does not contain sat-nav as standard but most customers spec this option anyway (when inspecting a car, just press the 'map' button and check to see if a 2D map appears on screen).

~ Maxie

sooty said:
Similar to mine but mine is an "S" and has white dials. Are these an option or standard on the S?

The 2S and 4S come will alumininum coloured dials as standard (compared to the non S which I think come with black)

In all honesty the standard S ones look like a slightly off white to the untrained eye anyway. White dials (as in carrera white) are an option costing around £400 at the time of purchase.

As a retrofit you are looking at £££'s!

Extended sat-nav gives you Trafficmaster real-time traffic holdups reporting.

NXI20 said:
Extended sat-nav gives you Trafficmaster real-time traffic holdups reporting.
Yes, mine has TMC. It's by no means a "Must-have", as the reporting's often inaccurate or out of date, so you'll somwetimes find yourself driving on empty roads marked as slow and sitting in traffic on an apparently clear road.

As to db01's Bluetooth comments, yes, you'll need a 3rd party solution, but you'll also need a 3rd Party warranty on your car, as the Porsche one won't support 3rd party add-ons. :damn:

There's plenty of info here about the OPC Warranties if you do a search.

By "Electric" seats, you presumably mean Memory seats. Nice to have (I haven't :sad: ), but it will cut down your choice of cars, as not too many have it :nooo:

Cheers,
Roy

You might want to ask what he means by sports suspension. I have the Porsche Sports Suspension option which is NOT PASM. It sits 10mm lower than PASM, which is already 20mm lower than standard. You can't choose between 'soft' & sports modes, its just always hard. It also comes with a limited slip diff, not sure if its the same one as on a turbo.

Thanks to the posters from me also, I'm looking for a similarly spec'd model but maybe C2S....
Sorry, for hijacking, but do most owners run on super or 95?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back