Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2009 Race 15 & 16 Silverstone

Porsche News

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2009 Race 15 & 16 Silverstone

Silverstone next for Porsche Carrera Cup GB

The contests for all three drivers' titles in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB are really hotting up as championships moves to Silverstone for rounds 15 and 16 over the weekend of 29/30 August. Tim Harvey currently heads the overall title race, while Robert Lawson tops pro-am1 and Robin Clark leads pro-am2, but all three battles are very finely balanced.

Over 20 examples of the stunning 911GT3 Cup car will gather at Silverstone for two more races, and the Northampton circuit is something of a home venue for Porsche as it plays host to the superb Porsche Driving Experience Centre.

In the overall standings, Tim Harvey (Red Line Racing) and Tim Bridgman (Team Parker Racing) are the key title contenders and they head to Silverstone split by only four points – in Harvey's favour. Bridgman clawed just one point back in the course of the previous race weekend at Knockhill, so it is going to be a tense run-in to the title. "As each meeting goes by, it becomes tighter and history suggests it will probably go down to the wire," said Harvey.

However, Michael Caine (Motorbase Performance) and James Sutton (Red Line Racing) are still chasing the title and a bad weekend for Harvey and Bridgman would bring Caine and Sutton right into contention. Meanwhile, young Carrera Cup scholarship winners Tom Bradshaw (Team Parker Racing) and Lewis Hopkins (Red Line Racing) are getting quicker and quicker and could yet join the big four over the closing races of the season.

In the pro-am1 category, the competition is just as intense as Robert Lawson (JHR) battles to hold on to a series lead he has held since Oulton Park at the end of May. Lawson is having a superb debut season in the Carrera Cup, but he has a gaggle of rivals and it is Glynn Geddie (Team Parker Racing) who is coming up strongly. A superb double win at Knockhill has brought Geddie to within 13 points of Lawson. At the end of round 10 at Croft in June, Geddie was 39 points adrift of Lawson.

But the pro-am1 battle is not just about Lawson and Geddie. In particular, Ollie Jackson (Motorbase Performance) and Tony Gilham (Red Line Racing) are well in contention, while Derek Pierce (JHR) will be quick and Michael Leonard (Team Parker Racing) rejoins the battle after missing the Knockhill weekend. New into pro-am1 this weekend will be Liam Griffin in another car from the Motorbase Performance squad.

The points' situation in pro-am2 is also attracting a lot of interest and there has been some great racing in the category over recent race weekends. Robin Clark (Parr Motorsport) continues to head the standings, but his lead is under attack from Bob Lyons (Celtic Speed), Paul Hogarth (IN2Racing) and Glenn McMenamin (Parr Motorsport) and with scores to be dropped, it's going to be a close battle to the title.

Round 15 of the Carrera Cup GB is scheduled for 4.20pm on Saturday after qualifying on Saturday morning. Round 16 will start at 1.15pm on Sunday and is expected to go out live on ITV4 during the afternoon's BTCC programme.

Attachments

• ccgb1_534.jpg
    ccgb1_534.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 15,640
This was bound to end in tears...

Last lap and a race-long duel between these two...

Attachments

• dsc_7457_1_383.jpg
    dsc_7457_1_383.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 15,700
  • dsc_7456_1_151.jpg
    dsc_7456_1_151.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 15,700
  • dsc_7455_1_196.jpg
    dsc_7455_1_196.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 15,700
  • dsc_7454_1_124.jpg
    dsc_7454_1_124.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 15,700
  • dsc_7453_1_829.jpg
    dsc_7453_1_829.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 15,700
  • dsc_7452_1_933.jpg
    dsc_7452_1_933.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 15,700
The outcome...

Attachments

• dsc_7471_1_195.jpg
    dsc_7471_1_195.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 15,692
  • dsc_7468_1_138.jpg
    dsc_7468_1_138.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 15,692
  • dsc_7467_1_260.jpg
    dsc_7467_1_260.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 15,692
  • dsc_7463_1_577.jpg
    dsc_7463_1_577.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 15,692
  • dsc_7461_1_190.jpg
    dsc_7461_1_190.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 15,692
  • dsc_7460_1_211.jpg
    dsc_7460_1_211.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 15,692
  • dsc_7459_1_116.jpg
    dsc_7459_1_116.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 15,692
Great pics Wattie - you must have a great camera too -

LOJO

I'm not sure 36 was entitled to go for that. It's a classic move for sure but the 36 car must have been dreaming if he thought he was going to get through there.

It looks like it paid off in the end though...

ResB said:
I'm not sure 36 was entitled to go for that. It's a classic move for sure but the 36 car must have been dreaming if he thought he was going to get through there.

It looks like it paid off in the end though...

Last lap 's**t or bust' move... :thumb: Don't know whether there were any penalties applied or anything :dont know:

LOJO - The camera is a Nikon D200 (old hat these days) and the lens a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 with a 2x teleconverter. The lens is a bit slow focusing though, so a couple are not sharp, but necessary to show the sequence of events!

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2009 Race 15 Silverstone

Sutton wins Carrera Cup round 15 at Silverstone [Saturday 29 August 2009]

James Sutton scored a last gasp victory in round 15 of the 2009 Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Silverstone, passing race-long leader Tim Bridgman in traffic on the final lap of the race. Glynn Geddie took a resounding pro-am1 victory while Karl Leonard clinched pro-am2 spoils.

Bridgman (Team Parker Racing) led from the start as second qualifier Michael Caine (Motorbase Performance) was jumped by Red Line Racing team mates Sutton and Tim Harvey off the line. With Sutton his ever-present shadow, Bridgman drove a faultless race to lead all the way to the final lap. Then, as they raced into Copse they caught the battle between Paul Hogarth (IN2 Racing) and Glenn McMenamin (Parr Motorsport) for second in pro-am2. Bridgman was held up just enough for Sutton to get a run on him out of the corner and dive ahead into Becketts.

"James went round me on the exit of Copse; there wasn't anywhere to go," said a very frustrated Bridgman. "It's something you've got to contend with," said Sutton. "But I'll take a win any way it comes," he added, before shaking hands with Bridgman. Despite losing victory within a mile of the finish of the race, Bridgman moved into equal lead of the championship with Harvey as a result.

For most of the race, Harvey had run with the leading pair, but then as Caine recovered from his slow start he was able to build pressure on Harvey for third. "I think Michael had the fastest car and I had to defend," said Harvey. "Once I was defending, I lost touch with the first two."

Fifth overall and a dominant pro-am1 winner was Glynn Geddie (Team Parker Racing), who ran ahead of Caine in the early laps before making certain of pro-am1 victory. "I didn't fight too much with Michael; all I needed was the pro-am1 points," said Geddie after a mature performance. With Robert Lawson (JHR) out of the race after an early clash with Tom Bradshaw (Team Parker Racing), the result put Geddie to the top of the pro-am1 standings.

Second in pro-am1 was the subject of a race-long battle between Tony Gilham (Red Line Racing) and Ollie Jackson (Motorbase Performance). The places changed twice as Jackson got ahead mid-race, only for Gilham to retake second. "I had a lock up into Becketts and that let Ollie past," said Gilham. "I was slowly catching Geddie before that." "It was very even," said Jackson after taking third in pro-am1. "He just had a bit more drive out of Copse, but it was an excellent race."

There was a dramatic finish at the head of pro-am2 after Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) clashed with pro category racer Lewis Hopkins (Red Line Racing) on the final lap after a long battle. Leonard managed to get his car over the line as he bounced along the grass. After the race, their finishing positions were reversed to put Hopkins into eighth overall and Leonard into ninth.

Meanwhile, the battle for second in pro-am2 was the subject of a big struggle between McMenamin and Hogarth. They were seldom more than a few yards apart as McMenamin withstood relentless pressure from his rival to secure the place. "The pressure was unbelievable," said McMenamin. "That was the hardest race yet." "An absolutely fantastic race; I just couldn't get past him," added Hogarth.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2009 Race 16 Silverstone

Sutton wins Carrera Cup round 16 at Silverstone [Sunday 30 August 2009]

James Sutton completed a weekend double with an impressive victory in round 16 of the 2009 Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Silverstone today (Sunday 30 August 2009). Tim Bridgman took second on the road but was later excluded from the results for his part in an incident that sent his title rival Tim Harvey out of the race. Glynn Geddie took another superb pro-am1 victory while Karl Leonard clinched a weekend double in pro-am2.

Light rain arrived just before the race and sent the cars back to the pits to ponder tyre choice. Eventually, most drivers opted for slicks, but front-runners Michael Caine, Ollie Jackson and Tony Gilham went for wets, which later proved the wrong call as conditions improved slightly.

Bridgman (Team Parker Racing) dropped to fourth off the line behind Sutton (Red Line Racing), Harvey (Red Line Racing) and Caine (Motorbase Performance). However, into Becketts, Bridgman attacked Caine and the cars touched, with Caine spinning. Up front, Sutton went clear as Bridgman set about catching Harvey. As the track got more slippery, Sutton drove a superb race to win as Harvey spent many laps defending from Bridgman. Down to Brooklands for the final time, Bridgman launched a move on Harvey and the cars touched, with Harvey spinning into the gravel. Bridgman took second on the road, but was later excluded from the results and docked eight championship points over the incident.

Ahead of the drama, Sutton completed a fine weekend and earned the 'driver of the weekend' award. "I'm just out to collect as many race wins as I can," said Sutton. "But I had to set the pace in the wet and a little bit of rain on the screen looks like a monsoon!" With a frustrated Harvey in the gravel and Bridgman out of the results, it was Geddie who moved up to a superb second overall and victory in pro-am1.

"That was mega," said Geddie. "But as the race went on the conditions were getting harder," he said. Into a remarkable third overall and pro-am2 victory came Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing), having battled ahead of Robert Lawson (JHR) and John Gaw (Team Kinfaun) as the race developed. "I'm delighted," said Leonard. "I had a great start and good pace; the car was great thanks to Team Parker Racing." The Parker squad was later confirmed as 'team of the weekend'.

Lawson claimed second in pro-am1 after a good race, while his team mate Derek Pierce ended a run of bad luck with third in the category. Splitting them in the overall results was Gaw after an impressive Carrera Cup debut. "I didn't take any chances," he said of a measured performance. The final pro-am2 podium place went to Paul Hogarth (IN2 Racing) but only after a sterling recovery drive after stalling on the grid. "I gave myself a big handicap and I can't believe I caught Glenn," said Hogarth after passing his title rival Glenn McMenamin (Parr Motorsport).

Glad to see Bridgeman was excluded from Sundays race, his move on Harvey was ridiculous and was always going to end in tears

917k said:
Wattie,

Thats a seperate incident and doesnt feature Bridgeman or Harvey

Oops... :oops:

That'll teach me to actually READ posts properly (and concentrate on the race instead of watching it all through a camera viewfinder!)

Still should have been penalised though... disgraceful bit of driving, IMO

911uk News said:
There was a dramatic finish at the head of pro-am2 after Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) clashed with pro category racer Lewis Hopkins (Red Line Racing) on the final lap after a long battle. Leonard managed to get his car over the line as he bounced along the grass. After the race, their finishing positions were reversed to put Hopkins into eighth overall and Leonard into ninth.

Leonard was penalised

Tim Bridgman Angered By Porsche Carrera Cup Rival's TV Rant During British Touring Cars

Tim Bridgman has hit out at Porsche Carrera Cup championship rival Tim Harvey after a controversial weekend at Silverstone.

Having secured two pole positions and was second in Saturday's first race, but was then disqualified from round 16 on Sunday and docked eight championship points.

Bridgman dropped down to fourth spot off the line in the second race of the weekend, but into Becketts the Team Parker Racing driver attacked Michael Caine and the cars touched, with Caine spinning off.

With Saturday's race winner James Sutton leading the pack once more, Bridgman pushed Harvey hard for the remainder of the race. Into Brooklands for the final time Bridgman launched a move on Harvey and the cars touched, with Harvey spinning into the gravel.

Bridgman took second on the road, but was then excluded from the results and docked vital championship points over the incident by the Carrera Cup clerk.

"To be deducted eight points and be taken out of the results is harsh," said Bridgman. "With anyone else there wouldn't have been a penalty as it was a racing incident, but because it was with Harvey and we are fighting for the title, they docked the points as well.

"I got the nose down the inside and it was obvious I had done that, but he turned in as normal, probably knowing the outcome if I did hit him.

"If it had happened in Touring Cars I would have got clapped, but the clerk likes to get involved in everything. It isn't the first time the clerk has made a controversial decision and everyone complains about him."

He is furious Harvey was allowed to discuss their racing incident during his role as co-commentator for the British Touring Cars on ITV4.

"It's not right he comments on our incident on national TV during the Touring Cars," he said. "If he was a gentlemen or had any integrity he would have declined to comment. When I was asked about Harvey on live TV by Steve Rider I refused to comment.

"I can't stand him and between now and the end of the season he won't get an inch. He has laid down his marker with his comments and if that's how he wants to be, that's fine with me.

"I am the quicker driver and he knows it. The way he behaved has given me 2000 per cent motivation for the rest of the season."

Bridgman, who now trails Harvey by eight points, has vowed to use this setback to drive him on to championship glory with just four races remaining.

"It could have a dramatic affect on the championship, but the best way to look at it will be to put absolutely everything I have into winning the next four races," he said. "If I do that the championship will be mine, no matter what Harvey or anyone else does.

"It's still in my hands which is the most important thing and if I perform to my maximum, I will win the championship. I am super pumped up and have just got to concentrate on winning the races now."

The weekend had started so well for Bridgman with a double pole position. He then led round 15 of the championship on Saturday right up to the last lap, but was held up by backmarkers at Copse which allowed Sutton to dive past and take first place.

"It was incredibly frustrating," said Bridgman. "Some of the guys at the back don't pay attention to their mirrors."

Next up is a trip to Rockingham on September 20.

Bridgman added: "I like the circuit and will be looking for maximum points.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back