Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Your advice needed regarding warranty

David997

I bought my first Porsche last weekend and am now the delighted owner of a 2008 C2S with loads of lovely extras :thumbs:

I'm learning quite a lot about the marque and am finding this forum to be very helpful.

The car with PCM2 along with a multi-changer CD fitted, has two drawbacks for me. Firstly, the lack of an iPod interface and secondly, the issue over the SIM. I think that I may have a solution for the latter but still feel that a BT kit would be worthwhile. The iPod interface is something else!

I have had experience of Dension's products before now and would be happy to have a Gateway 500 fitted along with their BT module (BTA1500). I've compared this unit with the one from Mowbridge and would probably go for Dension simply because of a previous good experience.

Buying the kit and having it fitted isn't much of an issue; the charge for getting an OPC to configure it would have to been accepted BUT what about it being a non Porsche approved accessory and invalidating the warranty!!!

The Porsche approved option is a no go and I'm disappointed that the "official" version is so costly given it's lack of integration and performance (doesn't function via the PCM and the iPod's output is via the aux port).

What have you PCM2 owners done to overcome this issue? Do you really have to remove the unit for any future warranty checks?

Thanks for your input.

I'm not educated in this area but from the threads I've read the Mowbridge/Denison options seem to be the connoisseur's choice.

However, there is a warranty issue and believe me, my experience in this department is certainly first hand. You might have an understanding OPC who will be prepared to overlook the installation of such devices but in today's market the person that says it will be okay may not be there the week after. So I guess I'm saying you will have to remove it!! It's an Insurance product ultimately and we all know what Insurance can be like...

As you know the Gen II has what your after which doesn't really help you. :dont know:

Congrats in any case on the new ve-hic-le. :thumb:

ResB said:
clip....As you know the Gen II has what your after which doesn't really help you...clip

To be honest, I went in to spec a new Cayman S that I'd put a deposit on for a November build, when I saw the 911 (I thought that it was brand new).

I honestly think that I wanted a Porsche more than I simply wanted a Cayman, and I bet that you can guess which poster was on my wall when I was a boy! BTW, it wasn't quite a black and white print either. :grin:

What could I do :dont know:

David997 said:
ResB said:
clip....As you know the Gen II has what your after which doesn't really help you...clip

To be honest, I went in to spec a new Cayman S that I'd put a deposit on for a November build, when I saw the 911 (I thought that it was brand new).

I honestly think that I wanted a Porsche more than I simply wanted a Cayman, and I bet that you can guess which poster was on my wall when I was a boy! BTW, it wasn't quite a black and white print either. :grin:

Ah the childhood dream, we have all been there. :) I went in to the OPC to buy a Cayman S and came out with a C2S also...ridiculously infectious isn't it?

ResB said:
David997 said:
ResB said:

Ah the childhood dream, we have all been there. :) I went in to the OPC to buy a Cayman S and came out with a C2S also...ridiculously infectious isn't it?

No ResB, it's a sign that with age comes maturity, pragmatism, self-awareness, the ability to see the "big picture" AND being prone to ridiculous infections!

Don't you just love it!

MoBridge is the answer!

I'm from Scotland but picked up a 2007 C2S from Cambridge last November and drove it immediate to Cartronics in Surrey, where they fitted the MoBridge device in a couple of hours.

This is absolutely brilliant. BT phone reception is fantastic, iPod very good and there is no hint that anything after market has been fitted (I chose to have the iPod connector in the same place as the Gen II cars, in the centre console). Cartronics are the UK importer of the products and those guys are real pros.

As for warranty, they fit a very subtle (looks like Porsche OE) switch to the side of the transmission tunnel about half way down your calf (so it can't be seen unless on your hands and knees cleaning) which can switch the device out of the system.

Can't recommend this enough.

L

I gave up on the whole IPOD idea in the end, and still have a mObridge boxed after a failed instal. I am now too nervous to instal it given I paid a fortune for an extended warranty. I think the issue is that the warranty now covers PCM whereas it didn't before.

I ve just taken a Mobridge unit out of a car
two faults were found on a diagnostic check when the car was 111 point checked
Removing the mobridge cured the faults

I have been told previously that a car with mobridge would show up faults on the Porsche diagnostic PIWIS Lap top

Be warned come warranty renewal / inspection time

mark pearce said:
snip....Be warned come warranty renewal / inspection time

Mark, do you think that lp1967's solution to this with a concealed switch could be the answer?

depends on whether the faults are 'stored' or 'instantaneous'
i'm not a mechanic and the new PIWIS laptop are £10,000 each new ones were distributed to all OPC's a fortnight ago

The car that i had checked i asked the OPC to remove the mobridge, there was no i pod attached so i suspect the mere fact its plugged in shows the fault?
But as i'm no mechanic i cant say for sure

as most of you ipoders seem very computer literate is it not worth burning your ipod onto a dvd as an MP3 format and just play the mp3 disc as i thought the PCM played mp3 discs

said he with a dvd re writer that he doesnt know how to use!!!!! :pc:

The only thing I'd add to my experience of the MoBridge is the shortcoming with regard to numbers of contacts. This is 255, but is a limitation of the PCM; not the MoBridge system.

lp1967 said:
The only thing I'd add to my experience of the MoBridge is the shortcoming with regard to numbers of contacts. This is 255, but is a limitation of the PCM; not the MoBridge system.

That's interesting because I had a similar problem with the iPod interface on my BMW's iDrive which would only load a limited number of albums.

Are you aware of such a limitation on your MoBridge?

Thanks.

I didn't hit any limitation myself with the iPod; the only limitation was with the 'phone. I doubt the problems are related.

I now have a phone solution.

My business BlackBerry is supplied by Orange in the UK and a quick word with them led to another SIM card being sent to me.

I've just installed it in the PCM after copying over contacts onto the SIM from the BB. Now all I have to do is ensure that the BB is switched off while I'm in the car and all calls are instantly routed to the new SIM. Interestingly, when I call someone back from the car, it is my original BB telephone number that comes up on their display thereby overcoming one of the potential problems. :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back