Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayman anyone?

Ok i'm not a troll or trying to start a flame war but...

:oops:

I'm getting rid of my old 911 and thought I was going to go to a 997 but after seeing the Cayman with the aero kit on i'm now all confused. It kind of makes up for the bit I didn't like on the Cayman (rear) and now i'm thinking I could save a chunk of dosh and get a Cayman S. At least I'm going to give one a test drive. Girlfriend would like me to get a brand new Boxster but I think they look like a push me pull me :)

Anyone bought one? Anyone driven one? Anybody heard anything from friends?

I know all the mags and reviews say its great but thats because its a porsche :D

Only had Caymans for a day or two - when my 996 was being serviced.
While it was perfectly able - just didn't feel special enough - I know its very subjective.
You could certainly hoon around in the Cayman (of course I didn't it being a loaner!) - I couldn't wait to get mine back.

Equally you can chuck the 911 around it just feels a bit heavier - and the speeds with which you'll end up going backwards into the undergrowth will be higher.

911 is a bit more special - plus if you need those 2 extra seats, also personally I am not a fan of the new interiors (all getting a bit samey, 997, cayman, also ran repmobile).

I had a test drive in a new Cayman at my local OPC and went back to place a deposit on a Cayman S.

I saw a 2008 C2S and the rest is history!

The good and bad points for me were:

GOOD

- brand new
- I liked the new PDK gearbox but didn't like the counter-intuitive direction to change gear
- golf clubs fitted in the rear
- excellent road manners and handling

BAD

- the standard car certainly didn't feel as quick as my BMW 335i (but the S would have done!)
- I have always liked the look but seeing it side by side in the showroom with a 911, gave the impression that it was much less aggressive IMHO
- handling didn't compare against the 911 when in "cruise mode" and you'd need a track to sort them out at the limits
- I was always perturbed by the fact that I'd see a 911 through the windscreen and think "I could have had one of those (even though it would not have been a new one)"

Ultimately, they are both incredible cars but I know that I've made the right decision for myself.

Good luck.

I guess that is what is putting me off.

Good = brand new car with everything I want in it extra wise
Bad = Looking at 2007/8 997 S and thinking I could have had one of those.

Wish money wasn't a problem but I suppose if I was loaded I would get a Zonda and a GT3 to do the shopping in :)

Stuart said:
I agree with Vlad, get a GT3 instead :thumb:

Or a more cost-effective way, get a Carrera with Aero-kit.

~ Maxie

I owned a Cayman S for 2 very happy years, and IMO one of Porsche's best. Extremely capable on a track and left a few 911 owners looking at there engines and claiming there was a engine misfire.

Also if you can live with out the back seats there is alot more room in side. I've had 2 set of golf clubs, 2 full set of cricket gear and 2 cases, still with room for a passanger in my car. 5 hrs travel to Cornwall for a cricket tour without stopping. An easy car to live with. :lol:

The down side.

It,s not a 911, so for some it just won't do. It all depends what you want :?:
If you want a fast, handling car which will give you hours of entertaniment buy a Cayman S.
If you want a 911 buy a 911. I did in the end, but it had to be a GT3 to keep the Buzz, :thumb:

Followed one on a trackday(latest-S model).....well planted and bloody quick in and out of the twisties. Will outshine most 996's in the right hands(exc Turbos and GT's).

Had a Cayman S with less than 400 miles on the clock for a weekend while the 997 was being serviced.

I found it to be pretty bland and it just didn't grab me (or the Mrs. :thewife: ) at all. TBH I enjoyed our old Boxster more. I was glad to get back into the 997 on the Monday.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back