Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Gen2 911 [997] Turbo - 3.8DFI, flappy paddles, much more

GT4

Summary:
493bhp
0-62mph in 3.4sec with and top speed 194mph.
24.1mpg in the manual 24.8mpg with PDK.
On sale in November: £101,823 (coupé) and £109,048 (cab).

Faster, lighter, more powerful and sharper than ever.
Uses VGT twin-turbo of direct-injection 3.8-litre flat six.
Traction control finessed to give more rearward power bias.
A six-speed manual or seven-speed dual-clutch.
PDK gets no cost option paddle shifters - R+, L-
Tip style double-function shift buttons NCO.

68992937201356x236.jpg

Lightweight 19in RS Spyder wheel option

6899293629356x236.jpg

68992106952356x236.jpg

68992108780356x236.jpg

68992107608356x236.jpg

Standard fit forged alloy wheels

This is the new Porsche 911 Turbo, which is faster, lighter, more powerful and sharper than ever.
Stuttgart has responded to ever-quicker rivals from Ferrari, Lamborghini and even Nissan with the GT-R by bringing the 911 Turbo bang up to date.

The current twin-turbo 3.6-litre engine has been ditched in favour of a blown version of the direct-injection 3.8-litre flat six from the Carrera S.
The variable-vane twin turbochargers have been extensively revised to increase responsiveness, and the intercooler and fuel system have been uprated, giving a 20bhp power boost, to 493bhp.

While the current Turbo is supremely surefooted, Porsche is determined to inject more fun into the car. The new Turbo should be more playful, thanks to an overhauled Porsche Traction Management system, which distributes the torque between the front and rear wheels through an electronically controlled multiple-plate clutch.

A Porsche insider told Autocar that the changes will 'provide more of a sporting flavour" over the old car, with extra throttle adjustability and a more rearward power bias.
Forged alloy wheels, as seen here on the cabrio, will be standard fit on all 911 Turbos. The lightweight 19in RS Spyder rims seen on these coupes will be available as an option.
A six-speed manual gearbox is standard and a seven-speed dual-clutch PDK is optional, with larger clutches and revised ratios compared with the unit used in other 911s.

For the first time, the 911 gets proper paddle shifters to change gears in PDK models. The paddles are mounted to the back of the steering wheel "” right shifts up, left shifts down "” and are a no-cost alternative to the flawed double-function shift buttons currently used.

The steering wheel also houses a display showing when Sport, Sport Plus and launch control have been selected through the optional Sport Chrono package. The 911 Turbo now hits 62mph in 3.4sec with PDK (0.3sec quicker than today's Tiptronic auto) and top speed rises by 2mph, to 194mph.

Despite the extra performance, fuel economy has improved from 22.1mpg to 24.1mpg in the manual and from the Tiptronic's 20.8mpg to 24.8mpg with PDK. The 911 Turbo goes on sale in November, priced at £101,823 (coupé) and £109, 048 (cabrio).

Attachments

• 2010_my_997_turbo_paddle_shift_for_pdk_173.jpg
    2010_my_997_turbo_paddle_shift_for_pdk_173.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 64,214
Last edited by a moderator:
Look and sounds like my dream 911.
I would love to have one in black
Manual of course!

Poor show with the paltry power increase(IMO)

...unless it's a 60/75KG weight saving I'd buy a nice/mint two-year old GEN 1 for £65k.

The one good thing about it, is that they have fixed the horrendous paddle shift set-up on this vs the current PDK 997's GEN2's :thumb:

They probably did not wish to close the gap on the GT2, hence the sub-500BHP.

All these GEN2 incarnations are just stop-gap products until the 998 comes along. Personally speaking, I'd not buy any of them but I hope that anyone who does, enjoys them to the full :thumb:

Looks good, like the wheels too. Also the flappy paddles suit better than the initial pdk effort.

My only observation is how many people are going to be rushing out paying full list on this over a used Gen1 as Wizard pointed out.

Why do they choose such a horrible interior for marketing shots?

Jamie said:
...Why do they choose such a horrible interior for marketing shots?
+1 :yuk:

Love the wheels, Steering wheel and the traditional paddle arrangement. So Porsche do actually listen then!

68992107608356x236.jpg

Standard fit forged alloy wheels

997-2ttfp.jpg

New RS wheels are lovely, Proper paddel change is 5 years late but good nonetheless.

However isnt the engine the really big news?

Derived from the 3.8 Carrera engine, and not from the old GT1 block

917k said:
New RS wheels are lovely, Proper paddel change is 5 years late but good nonetheless.

However isnt the engine the really big news?

Derived from the 3.8 Carrera engine, and not from the old GT1 block
With reference to loosing the GT1 block, Are we not in the same comparison of air/water cooled from a few years go..

But I'm happy I've got the GT1 block in mine..

garyw

3.8 switch from 3.6, oh oh, more power, lets hope its properly sorted so we dont have to run an engine failure column on no 6 piston arrangement again. :frustrated: could not stand it :x

Elite Detailing said:
The question is, will they bring the paddles as an option to future GT3's? :?:

Good question.

It was an issue about the new gearbox being able to take the power of the TT/GT3. Now that that has been put to rest, I certainly see it being an option on the GT3 whether you think it's in the "purists" interests is another argument though.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back