Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

SUNSHINE ROOF Retro Fit in 997

cliveagyoung

This might be a silly question but I miss my old 993's sunshine roof.
Misguidedly bought a 997 without.. :sad: .....I now fancy a Targa . :) .BUT if it is possible to retrofit a sunshine roof it could save me a small fortune ..... :eek: .
Anybody done this.

:eek: :popcorn:

cliveagyoung this could be a legendary thread mate.

How difficult and costly will it be, a lot I think.

cliveagyoung said:
Misguidedly bought a 997 without.. :sad: .....I now fancy a Targa . :) .BUT if it is possible to retrofit a sunshine roof it could save me a small fortune ..... :eek: .
Anybody done this.

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

Maxie said:
cliveagyoung said:
Anybody done this.

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

A bit harsh.......but not unexpected :grin:

You getting the message yet clive :?:

Yes Pete, you are right of course. Clive, I guess it's fairly straight forward to cut a massive hole in the roof section and then order a sunroof, new headlining, electrics switches etc etc. Must be one helluva job but I guess its just about do-able.

~ Maxie :thumbs:

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

I've got a sunrrof that I don't want clive, that's the irony of the situation.

It's a no goer mate. It would cost imo between £5-8000 (Hadfield official estimate cutting, respray, internal roof lining refir, electrics, opc 130gbp/hr) if you think about it. Your warranty will be in doubt :?: even if opc do it. The structural rigidity will not be perfect, then there are leaks etc etc.

Best swap for mine or drive with the windows down :dont know:

PS mine's not for sale.

Come on guys, enough with the smilies rolling round on the floor laughing.

If anything, this forum is here to offer serious help and advice to other members in need. In fact as a way of "paying it forward" after I was helped out at short notice only a few weeks ago when I needed advice of an Indy in Oxford for a friend of mine's poorly Turbo, I would like to offer my leads for said conversion to the OP.

Now the following does assume the OP is not overly concerned with retaining the OPC warranty (but please confirm yourself with OPC, you may be lucky, but as even the wrong airfreshner appears to void the OPC warranty the onus is on you to check)

Anyway, if you want to perforate your porker I can thouroughly recomend the following outfit based in Bristol.

http://www.bristolsunroofs.co.uk/sunroofinstallation.php

and all from just £189

(I should just clarify the recomendation is entirely based on a Rover Metro I once saw with a very similar abomination)

Good luck - and "Pay it Forward" ;-)

Well I was right then.....it was a silly question :eek:

So I will just have to find a Targa.

On a general note I'm interested to see that some people on here have the same sense of humour as the guys on Max Power :D :) :hand:

Have Fun

... some postings have the same IQ :wack:

cliveagyoung said:
Well I was right then.....it was a silly question :eek:
So I will just have to find a Targa.
On a general note I'm interested to see that some people on here have the same sense of humour as the guys on Max Power :D :) :hand:
Have Fun

Clive - sorry for the jibes. For me it was a really strange original post. I thought that people didn't retro-fit sunroofs anymore simply because of the all the reasons outlined by Pete - especially the point about structural rigidity which is of course a major concern in a high-performance sports car.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum. You've already experienced our SOH. Wait until you see someone trying to sell a private plate on these pages - it gets funnier still!

~ Maxie

PS. Good luck with the Targa hunting - one of the prettiest 997s around :thumbs:

clive,

The banter on here is good. I'm one of the worst at dicking around so apologies in advance if I upset you lol.

We worry about losing warranty by putting a non-Porsche lightbulb in never mind cutting a hole in the roof :puh:

Welcome to the forum!

Actually an amusing thread for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the most effective option for a retrofit (and if done by a dealer one which ought to be warranty friendly) would not be so much cutting a hole in the roof as replacing it with a sunroof one. An approved shop would obviously want megabucks for such a change though.

The second reason that it amuses is that it is actually much more common for people who already have sunroofs on 911s to muse about getting rid of them. The reasons being high up weight, structural rigidity, extra headroom for taller drivers (particularly in earlier cars) and US GT3 drivers resentful that they were mandatory over there (something about type approval).

Unless otherwise attached to the car, the sensible option probably is the OPs plan to trade it for a Targa though.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back