Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Targa owners

cliveagyoung

Thinking of changing my 05 Coupe for a Targa :D .
Any pointers for me when looking at used examples?? :dont know:

I guess from the deluge of posts, Targas are very thin on the ground :dont know: or not popular. So you may deduce from this your answer :thumb: keep with the S

As said by Sidlo, 997 Targas are thin on the ground - even more so than 996 Targas which is a bit of a pity because the latest Targa is a very attractive looking car (imo more so than the C2 & C4) whilst also being immensely practical. However, they seem to be very hard to sell on. I've been trying to sell mine for 3 months but aside from a few calls, nothing concrete. Whilst I would love to go for a Targa 997 next, I'm going to have a problem selling it on again in the future.

Why do you want a Targa anyway?

~ Maxie

I'm a 996 targa owner too.
I presume you have reconciled yourself to the cost of the 997 targa, this being the main point of concern that I would have. They seem to have very limited supply and with that comes high asking prices on the 997. Prices which I would caution will not hold up as well or certainly not better than the c2s if the 996 is anything to go by.
In terms of practical things to look out for, the only difference between a targa and a coupe is the rear hatch and the sliding glass panel and separately activated sun screen. So, make sure the electrics are all working hunky dory. Also make sure that the roof doesn't generate excessive noise at motorway speeds - it shouldn't. And make sure the glass panel isn't chipped/ cracked/ damaged - a replacement on the 996 is circa £2k fitted.
There is the odd squeak and rattle from the roof when on the move in the 996 but that is par for the course and nothing to be concerned about.

Otherwise, enjoy what I believe to be the 911 offering the best compromise between sports car and practicality available - I still don't understand why Porsche can't engineer sufficient rigidity into the bodyshell of the 911 to allow the hatch to be fitted to all models.

Peter

I had a look (and a test drive of) a 997 Targa when looking for my new car.....although I really wanted a convertible this one was the right colour and seemed good value.

I enjoyed the test drive and liked the roof back experience although coming from cabs it wasn't open wide enough for me but was a nice compromise if you don't want a cab.

I think the 997 Targa looks great although they are rather rare it would seem but relatively good value from what I've seen.

Thats better, a good response and a :thumb: for the Targa. Does the 997 squeek and rattle after a time. This would annoy me I think for such a prestige sports car.

Targa

Thats better..so keep on posting please.
What worries me is the possible difficulty in selling on as they dont seem to be that popular inspite of their practicality.

I can confirm that the 997 Targa roof squeaks and rattles as much as the 996.

Plenty of silicon spray is the answer.

I personally think the Targa isn't that difficult to sell on. It took ages to find one, but I don't think it commands any premium over the coupe model and it's usually price that is the biggest reason for a delayed sale unfortunately.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back