Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How can we check if oil & filter have actually been chan

Tigster

Hi - just had first MOT done and 111 point check for our warranty extension at our OPC. We requested an oil change too - they said they hadn't much time on a Saturday but did agree to do it for us. We have been charged for oil change and filter but my other half is convinced the oil level is still as it was before leaving car with them and also the oil filter is still the old one (dirty etc and certainly not new) - do they just chage the filter inside or should the whole filter tin/housing have been changed too?

Any advice would be appreciated before he calls the OPC tomorrow.

Also can I just check the oil filter is black in colour and located underneath the car by the side of the sump? Sorry to ask probably obvious things just want to be 100% sure we are looking at the right thing!

Thanks!

Did you ask them to change the filter? Check your handbook to see if they are supposed to change the filter. I know you have a wet sump so might well be different, but the 993 only has filter changes every other oil-change.

Hi Orangecurry! Thanks for posting!

Yes we specifically asked for an oil and oil filter change (and said we would pay) as we have just covered 8000 miles in it - we definitely have been charged for an oil change and a filter on top of the MOT and Warranty on the bill we have been given.

Hi did the invoice charge you for the Oil and Filter?
If yes the oil on the stick should be relatively clean, if its black, then its unlikely. The Filter Cartridge should be clean if its been changed.
Regards Big Bob :bye:

Hi Big Bob

Yes we have been charged for both and oil change and an oil filter. We cannot check the dipstick as 997's don't have them - however it was about one bar down on the ignition oil check meter when we dropped it off and my other half didn't top it up as we were asking for the oil change etc yesterday anyway. The oil is still showing as one bar down today so seems as if it hasn't been changed (along with the oil filter case looking old and not brand new)

Sorry did not realise it was a 997.
I think you've got them "banged to rights" "its a fair cop :cop: guv" etc
Good Luck.
Regards Big Bob

Unless they specifically cleaned the filter housing then there is no reason to see a clean 'cartidge'. The filter is contained within this and they do not need to replace it hence why you would probably see a 'dirty' housing.
As Big Bob states it is the oil you should be looking at. Maybe check that the sump plug and washer look new as IIRC this needs to be replaced every time you get the oil changed. :thumb:

I believe the oil filter housing stays the same, they change the filter inside the housing. Don't be shot down by exclaiming they didn't change it!!

filter.jpg

edit

Stuart said:
Unless they specifically cleaned the filter housing then there is no reason to see a clean 'cartidge'. The filter is contained within this and they do not need to replace it hence why you would probably see a 'dirty' housing.
As Big Bob states it is the oil you should be looking at. Maybe check that the sump plug and washer look new as IIRC this needs to be replaced every time you get the oil changed. :thumb:

Doh!!! What Stu said lol

I dont think you get a manual dipstick on the 991, otherwise- get the car on a level ground and check the oil level. It should generally be full or one bar from full.

You could also get the filter checked to see if it looks clean/new.

edit - should refresh the page more often!

Hi All

Thanks for advice/comments - I think we will trust them on this one as we are in no way 'mechanically' aware.

My boyfriend just cannot see any markings/finger marks in the dust/dirt anywhere to indicate things have been changed and the oil level is still too low and needs a litre adding (as it was Saturday before it went in) To be fair this is all that set him thinking but if a new oil filter housing is not necessary it may well have been done.

Thanks for advising/reassuring us though - it is really appreciated

If the oil filter casing is dirty there is no way that they can have changed it without leaving marks on it... These need a filter wrench to remove them so it will definitely show some marks somewhere.

Also, it should be correctly filled if they have charged you - you certainly shouldn't need to go straight out and buy some top-up oil!

You really don't want old oil in your 997 engine for the next 15,000 miles or more, so challenge them (and check the sump plug is new if you can).

Tigster said:
I think we will trust them on this one as we are in no way 'mechanically' aware.

How much is your car worth? You want to be 110% sure, you wont be very happy if it goes pop, if there is any doubt get someone to check if you cant...local garage or a friend. You shouldnt be needing to add oil. :eek:

What does the digital level indicator say?
I'd expect it to be pretty near the top after a full oil change..
Is the oil filler neck clean? I would expect the mechanic to clean any oily residue from its cap and neck....

garyw

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back