Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Insurance claim advice needed

wagonface

Barcelona
My bro has just asked me for some advice and I thought I would consult the oracle before opining:

He was in a pub beer garden on sunday afternoon when someone did a 3 point turn in the road and bashed into his car in the process. The lady stopped, got out and gave him her details. The VW garage say its about £1k of work. Today the lady called him and admitted liability and says she is happy to go via the Insurance route. But... she has asked him to say it was her boyfriend driving. She was alone in the car at the time of the shunt.

Turns out its her boyfriends car, she took it out without asking. Boyfriend works for an Insurance broker and has said she is covered, but she isnt specified on the policy (she's only a girlfriend, not wife). So to claim for her would require them to issue a cover note and then process the claim, which she says isnt impossible, but is more laborious and tricky. He would rather my bro just says it was the boyfriend driving the car. My bro has no way of verifying any of this stuff about the claim being easier or whether or not a cover note can be issued.

My 1st thought is that this shouldnt be a big problem - no one was hurt, no one else was involved, it was a minor incident and the damage isnt astronomical. Just say it was boyfriend and the chance of anything bad happening is 0.01%. Plus he will get the claim processed quicker.

But then I have only ever claimed once, so really dont know my way around Insurance stuff. Plus I know that he would ultimately be lying, and lying is naughty.

Thanks for any advice on this, Josh

sorry i'd play by the book,doing it her way just seems too easy to get tripped up and end up not getting the damage fixed and perhaps getting blacklisted by Insurance for lying

By the sounds of it she isn't covered if you ask me.

1. If she is not covered, the Insurance company will not pay out for the damage I would have thought and she'll get done for no Insurance which isn't good nowadays.

2. If she was covered she would be named on the policy.

3. Sounds like her boyfriend "may" be able to swindle the Insurance company to be honest.

4. Is the boyfriend happy for you to claim on his Insurance?

5. Obviously it's fraud. If you get found out to be party to it could it backfire on you?

There's a number of issues here. Personally, although it's no biggie you'll leave yourself exposed if in the event the Insurance company finds out the truth. I suppose in your brothers defence he could say he didn't see who was driving, but then there is the question of who provided the Insurance details and the Insurance company may want to know why the girlfriend provided them.

Perhaps I'm just to honest but I feel it's potentially dangerous to get involved in what is a fraudulent claim. Personally, I'd say, pay the bill yourselves because if she wasn't insured you'll probably get nothing anyway. Hit by an uninsured driver....

your claim

Having worked for Lloyds for 5 years, some years ago, i can tell you what the situation is ! She is obviously not insured and where it used to be quite common for certain individuals to obtain dodgy cover notes/backed dated etc, it is now almost impossible to do where an accident is involved. Therefore you have two choices: either you go along with what they are suggesting and get their Insurance company to contact you and arrange repairs(which is now what they prefer to do to keep costs down) or you tell them to pay you in cash or you institute proceedings against her in the county court. if you go down this route, all she has to do is deny ever being involved and unless you have have independant witnesses who happen to be policemen or the like, she will get away with it !!
When somebody is involved in a non personal injury accident, it it up to them to report it and seek indemnity from their own insurer, if they dont bother, the insurer cannot process your claim. As this girl is not even insured in this car, she cannot seek imdemnity and therefore you are more or less screwed unless you go along with her illegal demand. Wrong, I agree but you don't have many options unless she pops round with a big bag of money !!!

Likely as other mention that she wasnt insured. At the best case here, the BF is insured and wouldn't mind you going through his policy to cover his GF back...

IMO the safest option would be to get a quote a ask them to cover it as cash or pay the firm directly....
If not you option will be to name the women involved as the driver and either do a county court or claim via MIB (for uninsurred drivers).

You will need to report this to the police and she will very likely receive 6pts and £200 fine for failing to drive without Insurance. (she stopped to provide her details so maybe worth providing them the option of settling the bill directly)

Ask them if they are willing to cover the bill directly, otherwise let them know that you are reluctant to provide details other then the facts ect..

..and maybe worth renaming to "friend".... just to be safe ;)

All IMHO ofcourse...

Complete your documentation honestly otherwise you could be party to a conspiracy to defraud the other Insurance company. You could be arrested and prosecuted for this and even potentially receive a jail sentence.

Her best option would seem to be to pay your repair costs herself. If she declines you will have to sue her in the small claims court or claim on your Insurance. But the more fuss she makes the greater the chance the local constabulary will take an interest and potentially prosecute her for no Insurance (minimum 6 pts and decent sized fine).

Tread with caution because if he gets caught, he can forget getting Insurance for anything ever again and that includes car Insurance, household Insurance, building Insurance etc
On the other hand, if he did not "see" who drove into his car and she told him that it was her boyfriend then it is another matter :angel:

This sounds a bit fishy to me... Does GF not have her own car? If she does, surely she would be covered 3rd party on BF's car anyway?

If it were me I would say that I couldn't be certain who was driving the car at the time (if your Brother was sat in the beer garden I doubt that he could 100% identify the driver anyway - just made an assumption based on who was seen getting out of the car), but that it was the GF that came over and exchanged Insurance details. Then leave them to sort it out...

If she has her own car and policy she may well be covered under DOC (driving other car) benefit on her policy and providing her BF says he authorised her to drive his car, she/you should be claiming from her policy.

pj-91 said:
If she has her own car and policy she may well be covered under DOC (driving other car) benefit on her policy and providing her BF says he authorised her to drive his car, she/you should be claiming from her policy.

But her boyfriend works for an Insurance broker, you would have thought he knew that surely...I smell a rat to be honest.

Thanks for all the replies - pretty clear and unequivocal. I will tell my bro to start by confirming he is not prepared to do anything naughty, and asking if she has her own car, to claim 3rd party etc. Hopefully there is a solution that will work best for him, regardless of the impact on the lady & boyfriend. Will let you know what happens.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoker
Back