Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Acceleration

Is there anyway to get an acceleration graph, like the one shown, by using the obd port. My software will show speed on a graph, but not against such accurate time on the x axis. I would like to do some 0-60 too, but a better method than me holding a stopwatch.
thanks

Sooo many things can be correlated into your timings.

i.e. The road your attempting on, how straight is it? is it slightly bumpy? will the suspension require to be used vigorously causing downforce pressure thus heavier starts..

The wind pressure, against wind, with wind?

Tyre tred and warmth, tip/manual

Driver competance, ensuring max torque exerted and not changing precisely the right times.

The figures Porsche gives you are rounded figures after many many attempts in perfect conditions, so they too could have seen 6's to 60mph too.

you will also need a speed demon device that actually responds perfectly as to when the car moves off and hits 100kph or 62mph with precise quotes.

Therefore many variances to consider chaps. Moreover i wouldnt be disheartened atall with your figures, unless of course you are evading your regular oil/filter changes ;)

Having said that, I can understand your concern, me and a friend of mine gave his e46 m3 smg convertible a few runs and he never saw above 5.3 secs after 6 attempts and to be honest it wasnt in the best of conditions too.

Ensure that your Porka recognises the tolerance you are giving, and therefore try more than a few times, once the ecu understands your more recent burst requirements it will respond better and hopefully give you faster readings..

I will say what I said before. Any of the 911s are faster than you can actually legally drive and requires an experience driver to maximize the performance. We are talking about 5-6s 0-60 which with any standards is fast.
So guys and girls just enjoy your cars and forger about the timed acceleration

The only way you get the times quoted is to treat YOUR car with a complete and utter disrespect for its engine and driveline :nooo:
The people that get these times do not own the vehicles and if it gets fu**ed they don't give a sh*t!
Its a bit like watching Jeremy Clarkson burning rubber on Top Gear :roll:
Regards Big Bob :bye:

Big Bob said:
The only way you get the times quoted is to treat YOUR car with a complete and utter disrespect for its engine and driveline :nooo:
The people that get these times do not own the vehicles and if it gets fu**ed they don't give a sh*t!
Its a bit like watching Jeremy Clarkson burning rubber on Top Gear :roll:
Regards Big Bob :bye:

Are you listening ResB? You should be ashamed of yourself. :oops:

Nice one BigBob.

Pete

Pete Hadfield said:

Pete

And now there's clunking from the drivetrain - hmmm, could there be a connection :?:

Evil_C said:
Pete Hadfield said:

Pete

And now there's clunking from the drivetrain - hmmm, could there be a connection :?:

lol, give over.... :grin:

Pete, nah not really I have the utmost respect for my car and I would "never" drive it like journalists do, because as Bob says that it is "mindless abuse". Since owning the car from new and I can honestly say with complete conviction, that I have never once missed a gear and over revved it in 36,000 miles. In fact, the times I posted were achieved fairly easily and without revving the engine to rev limiter and dropping the clutch. It's all about torque and maintaining it and maximum torque is achieved at about 4,500 rpm which IMO isn't abuse. Doing it over and over again may well be abuse of course, which I have not. The car is well looked after and maintained. However, I do drive the car like it was meant to be driven, but with a mutual respect of course. A few quick starts isn't abuse. Some could argue that driving a 911 around town does more damage to the engine/drivetrain than stretching it's legs on a regular basis and I'm inclined to agree with that statement to be honest.

According to Porsche there's nothing wrong with the car, it's all in my head anyway. :dont know:

ResB said:
Evil_C said:
Pete Hadfield said:

Pete

Pete, nah not really I have the utmost respect for my car and I would "never" drive it like journalists do, because as Bob says that it is "mindless abuse". Since owning the car from new and I can honestly say with complete conviction, that I have never once missed a gear and over revved it in 36,000 miles. In fact, the times I posted were achieved fairly easily and without revving the engine to rev limiter and dropping the clutch. It's all about torque and maintaining it and maximum torque is achieved at about 4,500 rpm which IMO isn't abuse. Doing it over and over again may well be abuse of course, which I have not. The car is well looked after and maintained. However, I do drive the car like it was meant to be driven, but with a mutual respect of course. A few quick starts isn't abuse. Some could argue that driving a 911 around town does more damage to the engine/drivetrain than stretching it's legs on a regular basis and I'm inclined to agree with that statement to be honest.

According to Porsche there's nothing wrong with the car, it's all in my head anyway. :dont know:

Rich, I expected a one liner rebuttle. The more you went on the more guilty you sounded lol :grin:

I know you love your car. I was just pointing out what BigBob posted, which basically said to achieve the times your graph has you had to drive to the limit that's all. If you didn't then you must be one of the best! You can show me and the Littleborough lads 2 weeks on Sunday!

Pete :thumb:

Pete Hadfield said:
ResB said:
Evil_C said:
Pete Hadfield said:

Pete

Rich, I expected a one liner rebuttle. The more you went on the more guilty you sounded lol :grin:

I know you love your car. I was just pointing out what BigBob posted, which basically said to achieve the times your graph has you had to drive to the limit that's all. If you didn't then you must be one of the best! You can show me and the Littleborough lads 2 weeks on Sunday!

Pete :thumb:

lol, It was supposed to be a one liner...then I got carried away... :floor: I take your point, :grin: albeit I didn't think BB was referring to my graph per se. Let me see if I can find the data file as It may show the rate of acceleration against the RPM's which could be interesting.. :thumb:

I've seen a few articles about 0-62 times for the 997S and some were getting 4.3 IIRC, so I am not that good. :thumb:

I'm looking forward to the meet. ;)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back