Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone mounted a GPS Camera Detector?

royd999

Hockenheim
Hi All,

I just got myself a Snooper Sapphire GPS SpeedCam detector. Works pretty well, but I'd like to install it in a reasonably tidy manner.

Has anyone else installed one of these, or similar?

What's your preferred mounting position?
How do you secure it?

Ideas and photos appreciated!

Cheers.

I have the Pogo Alert and decided not to hard wire it as it's handy to put in the "family" car when I use it. In terms of placement I like it in the lower right hand side of the windscreen.

[note to self]must update the Pogo[/note to self]

I got a RoadPilot MicroGo hard wired into my car by JZM when they fitted the moBridge.

I use the suction mount to attach to the windscreen to the right of the steering wheel near the A-pillar. I've had this hard wired into various cars. I never take it out of the car, i.e. its always on display, and haven't come back to a smashed windscreen yet (just touched wood).

I've had it in the 997 for a couple of months now and haven't noticed any issues as a result of wiring it into the loom.

I'll try and get a picture in the next couple of days.

Suction mounting works in my various cars, as I move the kit around

When I first saw this post "Anyone mounted a GPS Camera Detector" my initial thoughts were I've never been that desparate :lol: Then I thought as age creeps up on me :eek:ld: I should not knock it until I've tried it - so I'm off to the privacy of the garage :floor:
Regards Big Bob

Thanks for the comments Guys.

I'm not a fan of the suction mount - I think they don't look good and I don't have the Burberry baseball cap to go with the image :floor:

I'm looking for a better approach, but will need to remove the unit for updating and for use on the bike. I'm thinking that a low-tech solution with a bit of velcro and Superglue might provide an unobtrusive and flexible solution, but I want a solution that does minimal damage to the interior :dont know:

The detector comes with a power lead with an inline fuse and includes a mini jack socket for the sound. I'd be interested to hear where I should connect the power lead and if possible how I can connect the output to the Bose/Parrott set-up.

Afraid I cant help too much with your detector, but I also have a Pogo. I have had mine hard wired in, and it sits on the dash to the rhs of the steering wheel, in the corner. I have a hard wire kit in my othe rcars and can easily move it from car to car. Don't think I would go down the superglue route!

Yes, I'm not entirely comfortable with the glue concept and of course there will be NO second chances :?

OK, here's the soution.

Warning - It's not big and it's not clever.

As my brief was for simplicity with minimal intrusion and damage, my secret weapon was a low-tech strip of self-adhesive velcro.

Helped by the dact that the snooper has a rectangular fold-out GPS aerial, which doubles as a prop, to keep the unit reasonably upright, the Snooper has a strip of velcro fixed to its underside and sits on top of the opposing velcro strip on th dash.

This prevents the unit sliding about on corners, while being reasonably discreet, allowing it unit to be removed for updates etc. AND it keeps the windscreen clear of clutter.

I hope you like it :thumb:

Attachments

• 1thevelcrokid_184.jpg
    1thevelcrokid_184.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 4,303
  • 2thevelcrokid2_724.jpg
    2thevelcrokid2_724.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 4,303
  • 3inplace_199.jpg
    3inplace_199.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 4,303
  • 4inplace2_688.jpg
    4inplace2_688.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 4,303
Of course you'lll look at the images in the correct order, starting at the bottom and working upwards :pc:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back