Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Shiny Pipes!!!

diffstar

Any advice as to what product to use to clean my exhaust pipes?

Thanks

Autosol is pretty god stuff

TB

For a divine look... :lol:

First spray them with WD40 and let them soak for maybe an hour, this should dissolve road tar (black spots) that has glued itself on, then you can actually start polishing the metal surface with Autosol or Megs NXT Metal polish.

Trying to polish off tar spots with metal polish just takes much much longer and wastes a decent cloth. If u havent got WD40 then a bit of neat petrol on an old rag will work although it'll freeze your fingers in this weather ETA (or as below Auto Glym Intensive Tar Remover)

Would be nice if you took some before and after pics and posted them up.

Haven't tried the WD-40 but it sounds good! I usually use Auto Glym Tar Remover prior to using Auto Sol with a good cloth. It might sound odd but it's a good idea to make sure that you're comfortable too! It's a hard area to get to (unless you got a lift!) so I always put down an old remnant of carpet on the deck so I can just sit there without having to "hover" on my haunches - which can get painful after a while. This way I take more time and effort over the job and get a better result! Just a thought.
Here's a pic of mine - not the best example, but you get the general idea.

Attachments

• pipes_of_bling_132.jpg
    pipes_of_bling_132.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 5,486
Is there any way to remove the carbon on the INSIDE of the pipes. I'm currently cleaning the outsides of the twin pipes on a C4 but really want to get the insides sparkling too.

Martin

You could try something that doesn't need to be activated by water - like Duraglit or similar. You might end up using quite a bit of the stuff to get rid of all the carbon though.

tbrown said:
Autosol is pretty god stuff

TB

+1 and also some "wire polisher/scrubber"... (you'll find them on a few detailing websites) also a polish cloth/rag to remove the residue,

that plus a good few hours and something to support your knees if your not jacking the rear up...

= Amazing results!!

Marty84 said:
Is there any way to remove the carbon on the INSIDE of the pipes. I'm currently cleaning the outsides of the twin pipes on a C4 but really want to get the insides sparkling too.

Martin

Neat petrol preferably allowed to soak will remove build up but in reality most insides have a poor surface and heat will have caused discolouration. A potential alternative is spray carburettor cleaner but I havent used this myself.

hi,

if i don't have the chrome ones, would i be able to get much of a shine on the tailpipes (on a 997 C2S)?

Thanks

Pav

Solvol Autosol will do the trick on all metal finishes.
It was the best in the 1960s on my cars and motorbikes, and is still the best today.
Other advice to protect after cleaning is well followed too!
Regards Big Bob

when i first got my 997 I thought the car screamed shiny pipes, I thought of buying some and felt to gypo and sent it to porsche for a valet. After all I did have shiny pipes lol and now my son can polish them

Meguiar's metal polish for me...very good results.

Martin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back