Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 997 3.8 litre 435 bhp GT3 (video, pics and report)

Daniel

435 horsepower and 317 ft-lbs of torque

Power comes from an enlarged version of Porsche's naturally aspirated flat-six engine which now comes in at 3.8-liters and boasts 435 horsepower and 317 ft-lbs of torque. This allows the GT3 to sprint from 0-60 mph in 4.0 seconds and reach a top speed of 194 mph. Compared to the current GT3, the new model features an additional 200cc in displacement which helps to create the extra 20 hp.

Following the release of the facelifted Porsche 911 Carrera and Carrera 4 models late last year and the new Targa, come the first details and images for the updated 911 GT3. Porsche has continued its tradition of only implementing minimal changes to the styling of its race-bred GT3, opting to focus on changes taking place under the revised sheet metal instead.

For the 2010 model year, the GT3 has been given more power, better handling, and a slightly higher base price. Following a world debut at March's Geneva Motor Show, the updated car will go on sale in the U.S. this October at a price of $112,200 (without taxes), while Europeans will get it this May at a price of €116,947 (without taxes).

Power has been boosted by 20hp (15kW) over the outgoing model, with the car's naturally-aspirated flat-six engine now pumping out 435hp (320kW). Changes to the powertrain include a larger 3.8L of displacement, as opposed to the former's 3.6L, as well as an updated VarioCam system that adjusts both the intake and the exhaust valves for the first time. Engineers also focused on boosting torque levels at medium engine speeds. The end result is a 0-100km/h sprint time of 4.1 seconds and a top speed of 312km/h.

To improve handling, engineers have modified the PSM stability management system to allow more flexibility - offering the option to deactivate both Stability Control (SC) and Traction Control (TC) in separate steps. To give the driver maximum control, these functions are not reactivated automatically even under the most extreme driving conditions, but only at the touch of a button.

The new GT3 offers even better grip and stability also at high speeds, specific modifications of the car's aerodynamics increasing down-forces both front and rear to such an extent that the overall pressure pushing down the car is more than twice as great as on the former model. At the same time the new aerodynamics package gives the GT3 a brand-new look further accentuated by the new bi-xenon headlights, LED rear light clusters, as well as modified air intakes and outlets.

To improve handling further, engineers increased the stiffness of the springs and anti-rollbars using the electronically controlled PASM active suspension management. New lightweight wheels have also been fitted and within these are an uprated brake system with larger carbon-ceramic discs and new aluminium covers.

Later this year, the GT3 will be available with a set of newly developed PADM (Porsche Active Drivetrain Mount) engine bearings. These special engine mounts automatically recognise hard-style driving, and adjust the normally elastic engine suspension and bracing to a firmer setting.

Finally, the GT3 will also be available with an optional lift system for the front axle that raises the ground clearance of the car up to 30mm, allowing drivers to tackle pesky speed-humps and steep driveways without any nasty scrapes.

Attachments

• 2009_porsche_911_gt3_facelift_003_0129_950x600_237.jpg
    2009_porsche_911_gt3_facelift_003_0129_950x600_237.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 21,123
  • 2009_porsche_911_gt3_facelift_001_0129_950x600_957.jpg
    2009_porsche_911_gt3_facelift_001_0129_950x600_957.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 21,123
  • 2009_porsche_911_gt3_facelift_006_0129_950x600_419.jpg
    2009_porsche_911_gt3_facelift_006_0129_950x600_419.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 21,123
  • gt3_156.jpg
    gt3_156.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 21,096
Porsche builds the GT3 for a few thousand die-hards to show it still knows how to build a world-beating sports car

by Andrew Frankel

For one of only a very few times in its history, the Porsche 911 is under attack. The new version of the world's most enduring sports car has been criticised for being less fun, less characterful and less like a 911 than any previous incarnation. And rightly so: the new 911s are fast, quiet and supremely easy to live with, though the price paid for that civility is a loss of the 'old magic".

However, anyone concerned that Porsche has forgotten how to make a car should stop worrying, because I've just driven the most exciting production Porsche road car of the past 35 years. It is the fourth 911 in a decade to wear the GT3 badge and it is the product of a band of delightfully unhinged engineers from Porsche's motor sports division.

This is a 911 from the dark side. It squats malevolently outside the Porsche head office, all wings, slats, scoops and spoilers, none of which is there to look pretty. They develop downforce so that, bizarrely, the faster you drive the car, the heavier it becomes, air pushing it into the tarmac to generate cheek-rippling cornering grip. It actually develops five times more downforce than its predecessor.

Every significant change "” and there are too many to mention here "” has been made to make the car faster and better to drive. Unlike with everyday 911s, there hasn't been even the slightest concession to making it quieter, more comfortable or better looking.

The engine has gone from 3.6 to 3.8 litres and has been given a further 20bhp, making 435bhp. Suspension is stiffened, the brakes are bigger and the transmission gearwheels have been lightened, while the seven-speed double-clutch transmission that's now in lesser 911s was ruled out because it would add 66lb to the car's weight. Mass is the greatest enemy of a car such as this, and every ounce that can be saved, has been saved. Besides, even changing gear manually, the GT3 will still scorch to 62mph in just 4.1sec.

This car is so extreme that, for no extra cost, Porsche will build you a Club Sport version complete with a roll cage, fire extinguisher and ignition cut-out "” the basic safety equipment required on any modern car that is to be raced.

Despite the GT3 being a fully qualified track car, surprisingly, it's an easy car to drive daily on the public road. The ride is better than, say, that of a Mini Cooper S, and because the engine is behind you, much of the noise gets left behind you when you're cruising. And while its thin, racing bucket seats may look spartan, they actually offer more support than conventional seats, and are comfortable over even long distances. As long as you don't need rear seats, you could happily commute in this Porsche; and then, just occasionally, you'd find a very quiet road or, much better, a racetrack. There you'd find an engine that revs to 8500rpm, and acceleration that is simply shattering. But, compared with the way the GT3 slows and goes around corners, that performance is probably the least remarkable aspect of the drive. Then there are the amazing brakes: a brick wall would scarcely slow the car any more effectively than these, and thanks to the downforce and tyres that look to be related to Formula One slicks, cornering speeds are almost incomprehensible.

Get used to the GT3, though, and you wonder why other performance cars just don't feel as alive or in tune with their drivers. The GT3 really knows no equal, even allowing for the quicker yet less enjoyable 911 GT2.

It's hard to think what true rivals it actually has. A Ferrari Scuderia is closest in concept but costs more than twice as much; and, according to Porsche at least, is slower around a track. A Lamborghini Gallardo is too soft, a Lotus

Exige is too impractical, and now that Nobles and TVRs are unavailable, it is probably the Bath-built Farbio GTS350 that comes closest to matching the GT3 for its blend of pace, practicality and price. But I would have the GT3 over the lot of them, irrespective of cost; it's not a car to drive for a few years and then discard, it is a car to keep and enjoy for as long as your means allow.

Also, it proves what I have long suspected, that Porsche has quite deliberately made the standard 911 less focused because most of its customers buy for the badge and would rather have a more user-friendly car to drive.

Porsche builds the GT3 for just a few thousand die-hards to show the world that it still knows how to build a world-beating sports car, and that it's still at the top of its game. But just how good is this latest 911? Well, there really is only one way to find out, and that's to drive one for yourself.

Porsche 911 GT3

Engine 3797cc, six cylinders

Power 435bhp @ 7600rpm

Torque 317 lb ft @ 6250rpm

Transmission Six-speed manual

Fuel/CO2 22.4mpg / 298g/km

Acceleration 0-62mph: 4.1sec

Top speed 193mph

Price £81,914

Road Tax band G (£400 for a year)

Verdict Porsche's greatest road car
rating_stars_5_136527a.gif

On sale September

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/new_car_reviews/article6161942.ece

Porsche_911_GT3_02.jpg

Porsche_911_GT3_04.jpg

Porsche_911_GT3_06.jpg

I like that.

The SC and TC function is taken from the 997GT2 IIRC, saw it on 'Jay Leno's Garage'...

The raising the front is a good idea but kind of detracts from the point of a GT3, that it's a hard core 911. I'm not complaining but isn't it turning it way too much into a 'daily driver' than an 'event'? :?:

Stuart said:
I like that.
The raising the front is a good idea but kind of detracts from the point of a GT3, that it's a hard core 911. I'm not complaining but isn't it turning it way too much into a 'daily driver' than an 'event'? :?:

Dunno - if it is any lower you would need it to get into Donnington without scraping the splitter :?

Stuart said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Stuart !

....those torque figures don't look too impressive

The 996 GT3 ran 285 lb of torque with 380 BHP only an extra 32lb feet for 55BHP on the latest car is a bit on the lowish side....I had expected more as torque is a primary factor for helping to fire/slingshot a GT3 out the corners :eek:

Just wondering if the emission regs are playing a part somewhere on the 997 GT3 or is the GT3 going just a tiny little bit softer now?.

How heavy is this car now?

Oh no...my OPC rang me this morning but I missed the call....wonder what he want!! :wack:

edit

I hope the UK price isn't based on the current exchange rate as that would mean the new GT3 will be over £107k or am I just being a bit thick...

£81,914 inc VAT according to official site

Wife just told me to stock mucking about and "just bloody order one" so I have ;)

Waiting to find out likely delivery but may not be until 2010 :(

kryten said:
£81,914 inc VAT according to official site

Wife just told me to stock mucking about and "just bloody order one" so I have ;)

Can I please marry your wife as well :)

Hehe, NO!

Anyway she's off to London with a mate next week and I fear there may be a significant Louis Vuitton and Tiffany/Boodles 'adjustment' made because of the order...

Yup,

The OPC want £10k deposit, September delivery, But can't guarantee I'll get one if I order it...lol....Oh, okay, I'll give you £10k to sit on whilst you figure out how to tell me I can't have one. B*****ks to that....

Apparently, Porsche haven't confirmed delivery numbers or dates which is why the dealers can't give you any more info.

From what I've been told, deposit now will get you a car ok, but no guarantee of dates - could even be 2010!!

The deposit just books your place in line :(

THE BASTARDS
I just get my 997 GT3 and they bring out a NEW GT3. The BASTARDS!!!!
Big Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back