Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Carrera 2002 MY Facelift Major Changes Summary

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
Summary of 2002 Model Year Changes for the Facelifted 996 Carrera

Engine
Displacement increased from 3.4l 3387cc to 3.6l 3596cc by increasing stroke
VarioCam Plus introduced
Motronic ME 7.8 introduced

Power
Output: Increased from 300bhp 320bhp (235Kw) @ 6800 rpm
Max Torque: Increased from 258lbs/ft to 273lbs/ft (370Nm) @ 4250 rpm

Transmission
Modifications to 6-speed manual transmission plus input shaft increased from 2-bearing to 3-bearing
Updated Tiptronic transmission introduced with increased number of programmes

Chassis & Suspension
Improved front cross-member fixing
Longer springs, and damper modifications
PSM 5.7 and ABS 5.7 introduced

Exterior
New headlight design
New Front & rear bumpers

Bodyshell
reinforcement in sills, roof frame, and seat area

Electrical
CAN wiring of instrument cluster, DME, Tiptronic, PSM, and air conditioning
New instrument cluster
Electronic bonnet release

Interior
Glove box, built-in cup holders
Seat belt tensioners with belt force limiters
Larger centrer air conditioning vent
Memory seats option now has memory via remote

Cabriolet
New heated glass rear window

Are Xenon highlights standard with the face-lift?

Electronic boot / bonnet release?

If the easiest method of telling if you have a facelift car is the lights, how do you tell with a turbo?

I have a Dec 2001, so 51 996 TT. I have no idea if it is a facelift or not, or even if the facelift applies to the turbo?

elrao said:
If the easiest method of telling if you have a facelift car is the lights, how do you tell with a turbo?

I have a Dec 2001, so 51 996 TT. I have no idea if it is a facelift or not, or even if the facelift applies to the turbo?

If you have a glovebox then you have a facelift car. Also look at your chassis number - there will be a sequence 99Z. The next number is the model year,
so 99Z1 = pre-facelift 2001 car.
99Z2 = facelifted 2002 car.

elrao said:

facelift doesnt apply to Turbo, it was only for the main Carrera range

As the TT was launched in 2000 with what then became the facelift for the 2002 MY.

Cheers

I am guessing there was still a new model tho, as my TT has PCM1, so doesn't have the MOST bus found in newer cars?

I had a 2002 facelift 996 C2 and ordered it without traction control so I'm pretty sure that it wasn't standard at that time. To be honest the car was great without it and IMHO teaches you to respect the car's limits rather than rely on electronics

The Turbo was subject to a facelift along with the Carrera range for the 2002 model year (from 51 reg)

Of course it was less radical as TTs already had the new lights from launch.

They did however gain a glovebox and other interior tweeks at the same time

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back