Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie wants advice please

bigmalcb

I am looking at a 55 plated C4S versus a 56 plate C2 both with the same miles and same spec. Which is the better car ? [/list]

Welcome Malc

Both are great cars. The true Porche nut will say the C2 is better and is how a 911 should be - RWD. The C4S I think is the prettier car and I do like AWD but then again I use mine everyday in all weathers.

Drive both - only you can decide.

Welcome Malc,

As Dave says, it's up to you...

What do you mean by better?

In the snow - C4S
On the track - C2

It's the same engine in both, but specification-wise almost every Porsche is different to every other one, so go for the car in the best condition, that you like best, and has the best options / colour / trim combination to suit you.

Wattie said:
Welcome Malc,

In the snow - C4S
On the track - C2

It's the same engine in both :eek: , but specification-wise almost every Porsche is different to every other one, so go for the car in the best condition, that you like best, and has the best options / colour / trim combination to suit you.

The 3.8L in the C4S has a performance advantage over the C2 3.6L. This will be noticable but you must balance this up against the heavier front end of the AWD car. As said drive both and see which one you like. My preference because I am biased is C2S then C4S then C2.

What are the options on both like and general condition?

Pete

C4S in my book, not because it is 4wd but as it is an 'S'. Search in this forum for people asking general advice as to go for an S or Base Model. So the ultimate answer to your question is go for a C2S which you should find for less money/same money as a C4S

Hi there. I can't be of much use in terms of a comparison, but I have had my C4S for a couple of months now and I love it. It feels very planted (sticks to the road and goes round corners v fast) and I am a big fan of the wider rear. Bottom line is, the C4S is more powerful than the C2 and can go round corners faster. Also since there are so many C2S about at good prices, I think it would take a really rather special C2 to tempt me (or a really rather special price!). Advice then is - the C4S is amazing, but you may miss the "S" if you bought the C2...

Pete Hadfield said:
Wattie said:
Welcome Malc,

In the snow - C4S
On the track - C2

It's the same engine in both :eek: , but specification-wise almost every Porsche is different to every other one, so go for the car in the best condition, that you like best, and has the best options / colour / trim combination to suit you.

The 3.8L in the C4S has a performance advantage over the C2 3.6L. This will be noticable but you must balance this up against the heavier front end of the AWD car. As said drive both and see which one you like. My preference because I am biased is C2S then C4S then C2.

What are the options on both like and general condition?

Pete

:oops: :oops: Was thinking of 996 - sorry! :oops: :oops:

Loads more power in C4S and much more desirable - hate the ride quality on 19" wheels though :wack:

It's the same engine in both :eek: ,

:oops: :oops: Was thinking of 996 - sorry! :oops: :oops:

Loads more power in C4S and much more desirable - hate the ride quality on 19" wheels though :wack:

An unusual error for you Wattie and I had to think twice before I dared think of correcting you being a relative novice myself. I didn't want our newbie making a big mistake imo. Of course I am perfect........NOT :)

Pete

I know what Wattie is saying, the C4, C2 and S changed between the 996 and 997 variants.

It depends on what you want the car for. Clearly the C4S has a shallower boot (due to the 4WD system) and has a wider bottom.

It also has the 3.8l engine, 19" wheels, better brakes (996 Turbo) and Xenon lights.

Purists will talk about C2 being the better drivers car, but the reality is, the C4S will be a better car for day to day driving and, most importantly, will have better residuals.

The C2S might also be a consideration, but I'm firmly of the opinion that any 'S' model will keep it's price differential from the non-S version, despite the depreciation.

Thanks for all the advice

I drove both today and bought the C4S. I am so looking forward to picking it up next week. Thanks for the useful comments.

Good man and congratulations. You won't regret the marque.

Drive carefully especially on these cold and wet days. 4wd will help of course. :wink:

Pete

Re: Thanks for all the advice

bigmalcb said:
I drove both today and bought the C4S. I am so looking forward to picking it up next week. Thanks for the useful comments.

IMO you've made the right choice. Hope you enjoy the car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back