Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 PCCB ceramic discs

Cornwallnewbie

I've been trying to find out the extra costs of owning a PCCB 997 over a normal one.

Having spoken to an OPC, they said that no one seems to replace PCCBs when they need replacing with the same, they change to the red caliper ordinary ones due to the cost

Added to this when one PCCB goes, you need to change all 4 at the same time rather than just the two if it had red caliper discs.

Having said that they are meant to last a lot longer than ordinary red ones, over 100,000 miles ? How long do the red ones last in non track use ?

The pads are a similar price as far as I can tell.

Does this sound correct ?

Thanks

It's quite subjective, because it depends on how the car is used and where it's stored.

The biggest problem with the standard brakes is that the discs are prone to rusting, which means they need replacing earlier than they would otherwise.

If the car is garaged and driven directly after washing etc, then they last quite a bit longer.

If you track it and drive the brakes aggressively, then the discs are also prone to cracking around the event holes.

Typically you will get anywhere from 20k to 50k miles depending on various factors. 50k is a bit extreme, but this is what my car did, mostly motorway driving.

I can't comment on the PCCB, but I'd echo what you've heard. I've also heard that they crack under heavy tracking, so the lifespan is considerably reduced.

Personally, I'd stick with the red stock (from 996 Turbo, I believe) brakes.

I seem to recall that PCCB were covered by a 185,000 mile warranty when they first came out on the 996, the warranty was subsequently withdrawn when they started breaking up when tracked. The newer PCCB fitted to the 997 have been improved so my guess is that if the car is not tracked they good for the 185,000 miles. The ones on the 996 are liable to squeak and they may have overcome the problem on the 997.

If I'm not mistaken the PCCB are a £5,000 option and that would cover a lot of pads/discs. Guess it comes down to how long you will own the car for and whether it will be tracked - I suspect the PCCB's would not be money well spent on a car that is only going to be used on the road.

Thanks, interesting.

It is on a 2nd hand car so not an extra cost so much as an extra cost of ownership over a non PCCB one, if you see what I mean.

If they are already on the car then my guess is you will save the cost of new pads/discs during the time you own the car, assume the mileage is nowhere near the 185,000 miles .... and no more cleaning of brake dust off the rims :thumbs:

Cornwallnewbie said:
I've been trying to find out the extra costs of owning a PCCB 997 over a normal one.

nHaving spoken to an OPC, they said that no one seems to replace PCCBs when they need replacing with the same, they change to the red caliper ordinary ones due to the cost

Added to this when one PCCB goes, you need to change all 4 at the same time rather than just the two if it had red caliper discs.

Having said that they are meant to last a lot longer than ordinary red ones, over 100,000 miles ? How long do the red ones last in non track use ?

The pads are a similar price as far as I can tell.

Does this sound correct ?

Thanks

I guess the OPC is talking rubbish as how many people do you know or how many 997's with PCCB in fact have 100,000 miles on them? Therefore I would suggest the PCCB needs changing alot earlier if the OPC is to be believed...if that makes sense!

It's my understanding that you don't seem to recover the £5k extra when you come to sell the car. This is a fact on the current 997 GT3.

It's PCCB pads that wear out faster than normal ones. Disc's are usually very robust(+100k miles). If you don't warm them(discs) up on track and then start pushing them really really hard constantly when cold the discs can break. New pads also need a good 200 miles to bed in.

Apart from that, PCCB's are the best brakes EVER fitted to a Porsche....you just need to know how to deploy/look after them correctly.

...I just love the lack of brake dust on the alloys too :thumb:

thanks.

Not sure I like the colour of the discs, particulary with silver :dont know:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back