Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Why 2 batteries?

C4UKPOR

Why were pre impact bumper 911s fitted with 2 batteries and is it better to replace with one modern battery? :?:

The early 911s were 12 volt. Some of the 356s were 6v.

The reason for the two batteries in early 911s is commonly said to be for optimised weight distribution. Rather than having one big battery on the left have one smaller battery each side to balance out. However I personally think this is a bit of a myth.

I other explanation I have read is that large batteries with high cranking amps were not generally available (and very expensive) in those days. For the 911 engine, being high compression, they were at the limit of a normal car battery and needed to go larger. The only realistic option was then to go to two batteries and once forced down that route it made sense to place them on opposite sides of the front compartment.

Yes you can change to one single modern battery these days if you wish but the two work perfectly fine so no real incentive to change. They are connected together by two heavy duty cables so in essence operate as a single battery. It is a very simple change to make.

Ian.

Thanks for the info. 2 batteries seem to have life in them so perhaps I'll stick with them for now. I do like the idea of updating the fuse/relay box and some of the wiring at some point and maybe then replacing with a single new battery.

Harvey.

The 911's are really sensitive to weight in the front. Perhaps leave them there to help with wieght balance accross the front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back