Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Warranty

Wonder what your thougts /advice would be on this one. My 997 manufactures warranty expires in March and I undertsand that the revised warranty will now cost approx £1500, and involove their 111point check.Normally in previous cars I would have taken the extended warranty, this is my 1st porsche and my thoughts are as follows.

I am struggling to justify this cost year on year, and whilst Porsche bits are no doubt expensive what extent of damage would it take to recoup your costs and in other owners experiences what things have failed on a 2-3 yr old 997 that has been dealer maintained since new and how expensive have these been?

I have just had a substantial amount of warranty work done (mostly minor niggles but also new front shocks).

What effect would not having the extened warranty have when I came to sell or trade in the car?

Originally I had expected to keep the car about 2.5 years (when it would have been 3years old) Although given the hammering I have no doubt taken on residuals (now that isn't something you would have expected from a 911) I am now not sure whether I will keep it longer.

The cost of the warranty would , of course be a welcome addition to a deposit on a new one , especially if there were any great discounts.

Final thought...when will Porsche catch up almost all other manufacturers and give a 3yr (at least) warranty.

Sorry for the ramble but I am just hoping to get a feel for pros and cons of extending warranty.

Look forward to any advice or experiences.

If you sell the car privately then the warranty will be a very nice advantage as a new owner can't put one on for 90 days.

If you sell through the trade, having a warranty won't make a difference.

Owning the car without is a risk, I will renew mine when its' due.

Porsche have never needed to offer a 3 year warranty to sell a car until now, but who know's that might be an incentive moving forward.

Just had mine done on a 2004 55 997. I thought hard about it but having had a friend get his engine replaced under warranty (2005 997 C2S) decided to have it done. I think it is like all Insurance policies, they look expensive until you need them.

Thanks

Gives me something to think on over the next few months, certainly would not want a big bill after warranty expires.

@ Daogle

2005 997 having an engine replaced ? Gulp!

What went wrong if you don't mind me asking ?

Slightly alarming to have that done so soon (unless it has done high miles)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back