Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Supercup 08 - Race 10 # Valencia, Spain - Sean on Pole

Porsche News

Schedule Valencia
Friday 22.08.2008 16.45 - 17.25 Uhr Free practice
Saturday 23.08.2008 12.25 - 13.10 Uhr Qualifying
Sunday 24.08.2008 11.45 - 12.20 Uhr Race

The Porsche Mobil1 Supercup as well as the Formula 1 in 2008 will be for the first time in Valencia. However, the event does not take place at the permanent circuit outside the Spanish town, but on a city track specially established in the harbour area of Valencia.

Public roads usually open for normal traffic function as a 5, 473 kilometres of a long racetrack similarly to the event in Monaco. The necessary infrastructure required for a F1 Grand Prix weekend was build from the ground within the last months; stands for the spectators will be set up especially for the race in August.

TV broadcasts - Valencia 24.08.2008

Day Date Station Show Time Content Duration Period

Sunday. 24.08 Eurosport Motorsports Week 00:00 Uhr Highlights 05:00 min N.N.

Sunday. 24.08 Motors TV N.N. 00:00 Uhr Highlights 10:00 min N.N.

Sunday. 24.08 Eurosport 2 Porsche Supercup 11:35 Uhr 10. Rennen live 40:00 min 11.45 - 12.25 Uhr

Sunday. 24.08 Premiere Porsche Supercup 11:35 Uhr 10. Rennen live 50:00 min 11.35 - 12.25 Uhr

At the 10th round of the season the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup at the coming weekend celebrates its debut on the brand-new street circuit in the harbour of Valencia. Sean Edwards and the former Supercup pilot experienced the track already at its premiere race in the context of international GT Open.

5,440 kilometre length, 25 curves, four very fast track sections and sufficient possibilities for overtaking characterize the new circuit in the calendar of the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup as well as a suspension bridge which spans over the port access. The racetrack was planned and built as well as many others by the German architect Hermann Tilke. It's a typical city circuit which seems to be attractive for drivers and fans as well.

"The flair in the former America's Cup harbour is similar to Monaco", so Richard Lietz, who already raced at on the new Grand Prix track in the international GT Open series with a Porsche. "Even some yachts were already anchored in the harbour during our race. However, the track itself cannot be compared with Monaco, because it is extremely fast, has got the modern run out zones of tarmac used in the Formula 1 and unlike Monaco provides some good possibilities to overtake."

Supercup driver Sean Edwards, who like Lietz participated in the GT Open race is exalted about the new circuit in Spain. 'I can't compare this street circuit with anything else I've experienced. It has high speed passages, slow corners, chicanes, hairpins and ultra fast kinks. In some places the track is as wide as in Istanbul, in others it's as narrow as in Monaco. The layout makes for great racing and requires a great deal of skill."

The standard of security on the city circuit in Valencia is also different to the one in Monaco. Generous, run out zones of tarmac are found at the end of all high speed arcades. Altogether eleven left-hand bends and 14 right-hand bends lead two thirds of the course directly alongside the water. At all it is a demanding track on which highest concentration is required by the pilots especially on the hunt for a perfect lap in the qualifying session.

Attachments

• valencia_102.jpg
    valencia_102.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 14,033
Onboard with...

Unlike the colleagues of the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup I already had the opportunity to experience the street circuit in Valencia at the GT Open race in Spain. In the former Americas Cup harbour the flair reminds a little bit at Monaco. The atmosphere is excellent and like in the principality, yachts are in the harbour, from were the rich and beautiful are watching the race action.

However, from the circuits' point of view Valencia can't be compared to Monaco. The track is really fast and as usual in the Formula 1 it has a lot tarmac run out zones and also offers some possibilities for overtaking.

Start/Finish:
This is a short straight, where it is difficult to read the information on the pit panels, because you have to concentrate on the fast right turn that follows. The exit of the corner is done with two wheels on the curbs at the outside. The Porsche gets a little unstable, but that is not a great problem.

Chicane 1:
To have the optimal breakpoint is important here, because the car is still a little unstable after the first turn. Again you go with two wheels over the curb on the inside, but not to far, to prevent the car from being unstable, what would cause a bad entry in the following left hand bender. Altogether, it is important to catch an optimal exit from the combination and to take as much momentum as possible on the following straight.

Chicane 2:
At the entrance the Curbs are touched slightly on the left side and one keeps the car on the left side to have a good entrance into the following right-hand bend. This is extremely important, because although curves are following, these go with full throttle. So you drive slightly over the Curb and step on the throttle early to take as much speed as possible along.

Bridge:
After the chicane a short left-hand bend comes followed by a long right bend. Both corners are driven with full throttle. Already shortly after the right bend the breakpoint for the next chicane and the bridge passage follows. You let your car go over the curbs on the outside to get a good entry for the chicane that leads onto the bridge. The right bend at the end of the bridge has an early breakpoint to provide a good entry into the corner. You step early on the throttle and include the curbs on the outside into your line. It is important to do the exit well, because what follows is a slight but long left left-hand that changes into a straight than.

Chicane 3:
From high speed you step on the brakes hard at this passage and turn into the corner by going over the curbs on the right inside. What follows is a left bender with two apexes. You have try to keep the car on the inside on oder to get a good entry into the following right hander. You turn into the corner early and step onto the throttle soon, going over the curbs at the exit of the corner. What follows is a double left that if everything before went fine, can be done full throttle.

Hairpin 1:
After a straight a hairpin follows, that has a very bumpy breaking zone. The car gets very light at this point and you have to take care not to block the wheels while breaking. Going over the curb you try to keep your car on the right side to get a good entry for the following left hander. On the exit you stay left because of the following two right hander's. If everything works fine, the second corner can be done with full speed taking along the momentum on the following straight.

Hairpin 2:
The braking zone for the last hairpin is located in a slight chicane. It is the most difficult passage of the circuit. You drive on the left side close to the wall and break into the right hander. After that you enter the hairpin in first gear, staying away from the curb to be able to step early on the throttle in order to carry as much momentum as possible onto the start and finish straight.

Attachments

• val01_904.jpg
    val01_904.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 14,033
Get it won Sean, I want to see pics from the after race celebrations :wink:
Good luck :thumb:

Have just checked the weather and chance of rain for Sunday in Valencia.

I have Autosport from 10/07 on my desk just after Sean won at Silverstone and they refer to him as 'Rainmaster Edwards'.

Street Circuit + Rain - Monaco was a good effort too in those conditions.

It also sounds like Sean might have a touch more experience than the others on this new circuit.

Fingers crossed for qualifying.

Looks like Sean has a new team mate

Driver changes happen really quick these days in the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup. After Seyffarth's change to tolimit and Armindos retirement from the championship, Jiri Janak now changed to Konrad Motorsport. The Czech will compete in the two remaining races for the German team.

'That was really a last minute deal", team manager Franz Konrad explains. 'On last Sunday I still thought I had do drive the car by myself", he surprises the listeners. 'I always loved street circuits I for sure I wouldn't have finished on last position", the Austian laughs bout his estimation about a rank in the midfield of the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup.

Finally he didn't have to do the Job. A few days before the 10th round of the season the former Schnabl Engineering pilot Jiri Janak changed into the Team. 'I would like to make clear that I have not changed the team, but I have discharged my Job at Schnabl Engineering before the Budapest race and now, after a break of one race, will compete for the next two races in the team Konrad Motorsport." In Valencia and Spa Janak will drive the former Seyffarth Porsche. 'I probably miss the season final in Monza, because at this weekend a round for the FIA-GT takes place in Brünn. I would like to participated there for the Team KplusK with a 997 RSR in the GT2 class."

Already two days after the German Grand Prix Janak had a test with the Konrad Porsche. 'Jiri Janak really surprised. He convinced with quick and constant laps", team manager Franz Konrad prays his new entry. 'Actually it was a test for a possible cooperation between me and the Konrad team in 2009, at that point I didn't know, that Jan Seyffarth would leave the team", Jiri Janak says. So Konrad Motorsport in Valencia competes with Sean Edwards and Jiri Janak, while Seyffarth climbs into the former Armindo Car at tolimit Motorsport. "I wish Jan Seyffarth all the best", team manager Konrad says. "But I am also a little disappointed, because everybody in the team did a hard job to help Jan claiming the runner-up in the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup."

Attachments

• janak_196.jpg
    janak_196.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 13,983
Sean gets pole

First time on Pole
23.08.2008 - 13:15 Uhr

The name of the Valencia debut pole setter is Sean Edwards. The pole for the 10th round of the Supercup in Spain is the first best time for the Englishman. Second was championship leader Bleekemolen with a Gap of 4/1000 of a seconds. Stefan Rosina and Damien Faulkner are following with a gap of 5/100 seconds. 20 Cars within 1 second.

First Supercup pole for Sean Edwards

It was a kind of home advantage, when the Brit Sean Edwards some minutes before the end of the session went out on the new Valencia track, to improve from the deeps of the result list up to the front. Some weeks ago he competed here in a round for the GT-Open, a series held mainly on Spanish tracks. 'I can't believe it after the bad luck, I had yesterday", the 21-years-old shone about his 2:09.329 minutes lap and his first pole position in the current season. 'The GT-Open race helped me a lot, I knew the track and the line, but yesterday I run into technical problems and could not do a serious lap. So I am very happy with the pole position. Thanks to everyone one who has helped me."

bd84d32716762eced0542270cce5f67b48b03d155ab14_edwards300.jpg

Especially the last minutes of the first Supercup qualifying in Valencia's harbour area of the America's Cup has been a real nail-biter. If the field normally drives the best times in the first minutes of the session, this time the pilots had to fight until the end of the 45 minutes. The fight for the pole developed to one of the most thrilling one this year. Just 4/1000 of a second separated Jeroen Bleekemolen, who claimed second position, from the aimed two additional championship points for the pole. 'In general it was a good qualifying for me, but unfortunately I made a mistake in my last lap which cost me the best time", the two times pole sitter of the current season says. 'However, my advantage for the race could be a good set of tyres, which I used only for two quick laps. With a good start I can win here."

And with that Bleekemolen, who has got an advantage of 38 points in the driver standings of the championship, would be able to win the title two races before the end of the season. However, Damien Faulkner, who ranks second in the championship, and his team mate Stefan Rosina claimed starting positions three and four, one row behind the Dutchman. With an excellent teamwork in the race they could keep the title decision open. 'I am really satisfied with my qualifying, but at first I want to congratulate Sean Edwards, who participated here in the GT-Open race like I did some weeks ago", Stefan Rosina prays his opponent. Just by 42/1000 of a second he was beaten by Jeroen Bleekemolen. "It's unbelievable how close the times are together", Damien Faulkner says. "My gap on the pole is just 5/100 of a second, but that's only enough for fourth place. Unfortunately I had some traffic, otherwise I would have been a better position. But I think it is possible to finish on the podium tomorrow." And with that Faulkner could keep the title fight open, because however Bleekemolen finishes the race, to clear out all doubts, he must leave Valencia with an advantage of 45 points.

Best German driver in the starter field of the 15 nations was Chris Memerow, driving the Kadach Porsche. The Germans gap to the best time was 13/100 of a second. The Hong Kong Chinese Darry O'Young became the surprise of the top group. The Schnabl Engineering pilot improved up to sixth position and claimed his best ever result in the Supercup. 'I like City circuits", the champion of the 2007 Asian Carrera Cup said already after a first glance on the track on Thursday. Today he proved his comment. 'With this great qualifying result I hope not only for a good race tomorrow but also to lay a base for top 10 results in the future." Team-mate Jà¶rg Hardt followed on position seven. "A perfect team performance, but I had some problems with the brake. I didn't have enough brakeing power at the front axle of my car."

René Rast, local hero Lucas Guerrero and birthday boy Patrick Huisman are following on positions eight to ten. 'Thanks for the birthday congratulations, but unfortunately that's all with the good news for today", the 42-years-old growls. 'The power shifting interrupter didn't work properly. I Think shifting up gears took me about one second each time. I had no chance for a better lap with this problem. But I am looking forward on the race tomorrow, because overtaking should be easy here in Valencia." Team-mate Saelens even had a worse session and ended up on 21th position. "Don't ask me, I am helpless", he commented his gap of 1.1 seconds on the best time.

One of the leading drivers in the Championship had even more bad luck. Jan Seyffarth already in the initial phase of the session with his tolimit-Carrera crashed into the walls. 'I came onto the dirt, touched the wall slightly and damaged the wheels and brake disk of my car. 'What a bad luck in the second half of the season", Seyffarth, who ranks third in the championship, says. Team-mate Jocke Mans delivered a proper Qualifying. The Supercup-rookie will start from 13th position into the race.

At its debut in Valencia the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup again proved it's high competitiveness. The first four cars are within 5/100 of a second. Jiri Janak 20th position is only 9/10 of a second away from the leader.

The 10th round of the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup with a distance of 14 laps (76,622 km) is started on Sunday 11.45am. A live coverage is provided by TV stations Premiere and Eurosport2.

Qualifying quotes

Pole Position, Sean Edwards, Konrad Motorsport

Position 3, Stefan Rosina, Lechner Racing Bahrain

Position 4, Damien Faulkner, SAS-Lechner Racing

Position 11, Danny Watts, SAS-Lechner Racing

Results qualifying Valencia 23.08.2008

Pos. Car no. Driver / Team Qualifying time Gap

1 22 GBR Edwards, Sean Konrad Motorsport 2:09.329 + 0:00.000
2 10 NED Bleekemolen, Jeroen Jetstream Motorsport 2:09.333 + 0:00.004
3 2 SVK Rosina, Stefan Lechner Racing Bahrain 2:09.375 + 0:00.046
4 20 IRL Faulkner, Damien SAS-Lechner Racing 2:09.381 + 0:00.052
5 24 GER Mamerow, Chris DAMAC Kadach Racing 2:09.464 + 0:00.135
6 16 HKG O'Young, Darryl Schnabl Engineering 2:09.710 + 0:00.381
7 17 GER Hardt, Jà¶rg Schnabl Engineering 2:09.731 + 0:00.402
8 14 GER Rast, René VELTINS MRS Racing 2:09.742 + 0:00.413
9 9 ESP Guerrero, Lucas Jetstream Motorsport 2:09.765 + 0:00.436
10 27 NED Huisman, Patrick IRWIN Racing 2:09.767 + 0:00.438
11 21 GBR Watts, Danny SAS-Lechner Racing 2:09.794 + 0:00.465
12 11 POR Petiz, Pedro Racing Team Jetstream 2:09.934 + 0:00.605
13 4 SWE Mangs, Jocke tolimit 2:09.946 + 0:00.617
14 7 NED Bleekemolen, Sebastiaan Bleekemolen Race Planet 2:09.973 + 0:00.644
15 1 ITA Zampedri, Alessandro Lechner Racing Bahrain 2:10.025 + 0:00.696
16 5 SUI Benz, Marc SPS automotive-performance 2:10.035 + 0:00.706
17 25 NED van Lagen, Jaap DAMAC Kadach Racing 2:10.039 + 0:00.710
18 15 AUT Siedler, Norbert VELTINS MRS Racing 2:10.100 + 0:00.771
19 6 GER Arnold, Lance David SPS automotive-performance 2:10.138 + 0:00.809
20 23 CZE Janak, Jiri Konrad Motorsport 2:10.251 + 0:00.922
21 26 BEL Saelens, David IRWIN Racing 2:10.508 + 0:01.179
22 19 NED van Splunteren, Paul HSF Porsche Eindhoven 2:10.525 + 0:01.196
23 8 NED Buijs, Tim Bleekemolen Race Planet 2:10.732 + 0:01.403
24 33 USA Langhorne, William VELTINS MRS Racing 2:11.237 + 0:01.908
25 12 NED Bleekemolen, Michael Racing Team Jetstream 2:11.345 + 0:02.016
26 18 NED Frederiks, Simon HSF Porsche Eindhoven 2:12.877 + 0:03.548
27 3 GER Seyffarth, Jan tolimit 2:20.175 + 0:10.846

Attachments

• val02_203.jpg
    val02_203.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 13,307
  • val03_531.jpg
    val03_531.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 13,305
  • val04_168.jpg
    val04_168.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 13,305
Both Konrad Motorsport cars have been dropped to the back of the grid as they didn't have enough fuel in the tank after qualifying (less than 2 litres apparently! :eek:

Good luck Sean..

Gutted, that penalty to the back of the the grid over two litres of fuel would be harsh by Bernies standards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back