Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is Guards Red really unpopular?

Rip

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post here.

I'm not new to the Porsche marque however, having owned a 911 SC and 993 C2 Cab in the past.

Currently we have a Cayman, Cayenne and a Merc Vito for carrying my bikes around.

So here's the thing. I'm about to order a 997 Turbo and have been playing around with the spec for a while. Essentiallly, I'm veering towards Guards Red with Black leather and Aero Kit (and, of course, all the toys).

Having been browsing around for a while it seems that the various shades of silver and black are most popular.

Both my previous 911s were guards red and I really like the colour but don't want to spec it if its going to be unpopular and affect future value.

Our Cayenne, Cayman and Merc are all silver and I really want something different.

So I guess what I'm asking is what's wrong with guards red? Should I go for it or avoid?

Your opinions will be much appreciated.

People who like red are not exactly in short supply as far as I know, so if you like it go for it, and in due course you should be able to find someone else to buy it.

(says he who, cough, has an arctic silver car :oops: )

I think the issue is Guards Red is a non Metallic colour and we seem to live in a age where most folk want to buy a car with metallic paint

i think the gaurds red on the 997 looks spot on and would be my colour choice along with speed yellow

:welcome:

Were you pleased with the trade-ins of your previous GR 911's? What were similar cars of different colours trading for at the time? As you already know and appreciate, it's down to personal choice in the end. For a high-end model such as the Turbo, I'd want a slightly special colour to reflect its worth and for me it would mean going for a metallic colour (Seal Grey, Basalt Black, Midnite Blue etc); the only exception to this would be the Carrara White colour option.

Secondly, do you have a garage? Always a necessity for a GR car..... :wink:

Just my 2p worth.

~ Maxie :)

Porscheuro said:
i think the gaurds red on the 997 looks spot on and would be my colour choice along with speed yellow

I really like guards red on the 997. Works better than on other 911s for some reason IMO.

Guards Red is a really nice colour. Some argue it's a bit of a girls colour and that is the only reason you don't see that many of them IMO. Has the wife suggested Red. ;)

There is however, nothing wrong with the colour whatsoever. Having said that I understand what you're going through but I personally wouldn't spec a Turbo in Guards Red for some reason. I don't know why as I really like the colour, strange one that. Perhaps the Turbo warrants a more macho colour being as I would suggest 90% of TT owners are male.

Something I personally would consider is that stone chips on a Red car are more visible I think as the primer is white IIRC, so something on a practical note to consider. If your only going to to a few thousand miles a year then that may not be an issue.

I'd get what you want to be honest and in the meantime perhaps speak to a dealer and ask the question and see what they say before you order. :thumbs:

Thanks for the positive responses here.

Sundeep, you're correct about the non-metallic. Guards Red is the only non-metallic I'd consider.

With three 'silvers' already, I do tend to think that the various metallic silvers do cause the cars to get 'lost' in the traffic. It seems every other car (at least) on the road at the moment is a variant of metallic silver - and a 911 deserves much more than that!

My dealer says the colour doesn't matter - but then he would - wouldn't he?

So, Guards Red it is 8)

People say more want a sliver/black car but its a bit of a misnomer.

True, there might be 100 people for looking for a silver car but there will be 50 silver cars for sale.

However there might only be 8 people for a Red car but only 2 or 3 red ones for sale

Guard's red

Guard's red is really amazing. I have had a 997 mk I in that colour and the MK II I am waiting for will also be in that colour. One recommendation get the seat belts in red too. It really looks great set off against the black leather and go for the leather stitching option too although here in Sweden that is a 1000 quid extra. Another thought is the horsehoe around the gearbox housing in red too....GRRRREEEEAAAATTT. I have even gone for the personalisation of the sill and asked for red under lighting instead of the strobe blue one.
However if you are having yellow ceramics do consider yellow as an alternative or even the dark blue which I have seen on a turbo at an event....very very nice.

Why would you want to choose a colour based on what you think someone else would like when you come to sell it? :?:

If you buying a new car then the depreciation is going to be steep (regardless of colour) so if you loose another grand just because of the colour, so what? At least you drive around in a car you love rather than kicking yourself everytime another guards red porsche flies past! :frustrated:

HOWEVER if you going to be regularly breaking the speed limit then I would definetly base my choice of colour on the one that is going to blend in: silver or black :)

PS Did I mention I've owned 993 Ocean Blue with Red interior and 996 Forest Green with Savannah interior? :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back