Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Classic Car Insurance NCB Help Required

DPJenkinson

Monza
Hi all, just had my renewal through for my 3.2 and it comes in at £263 for a limit of 3000 miles which is really good. On checking the details I saw there was a zero against the no claims bonus. When I moved my Insurance last year I brought 9 years NCB. I spoke to them last night and they said as its a classic policy NCB was not used, which in effect means that if I renew again with them I will loose the 9 years by next renewal date in 2009 :eek: .

I have two options my daily hack is a 06 Verso diesel and this Insurance is now due but I only have three years NCB on that which is unprotected.

Do I contact the previous insurer get a copy of my NCB and swap the 9years for the 3? I plan to do some rining around over the weekend but would appreciate your views on this especially if you have come across this before

I'm confused - I though NCB was relevant to the driver, not the car. So if you personally have 9yrs, then that applies to any car you own?

I've just taken out classic car Insurance and it's the same, the NCB's not relevant, though I suspect they take into consideration that it's not your main vehicle and your driving status, incl NCB, on your daily driver. How about you swap the 3 & 9 year NCB from year to year on your daily driver, thus maintaining both? - most insurers allow it to lapse for 2 years before 'zeroing' your NCB - so as you said you have 'til next year before the 9 year policy zeros.

DP, this is par for the course on many classic policies - they don't use the NCB, they just hold it on file. I think after a year this "being on file" effectively invalidates it and you lose it for a normal policy.

Easiest thing to do it take the 9 years NCB from your classic policy and put it on the Verso. This will not effect your classic policy.

As to the 3 years NCB, well you'll have a year to use this up or put it onto a third car, if you have one.

Many thanks for your replies, I have spoken with a few "classic policy" insurers and they state the same. Spoke to Admiral who insured both cars previously and they are going to send out the NCB for both cars. They are happy to swap the 9 year to the daily driver and as stated Chaucer don't really care !

That said going from 3 years unprotected NCB to 9 years NCB adjusted the premium by only £15, so by the time I added out the NC protection it was a bit more. I liked the idea of alternating the NCB thanks for that.

Cheers

Darren J

I insure my car through Hagerty who I am most impressed with and I had the same issue.

They kindly agreed to hold my no claims against my classic policy to keep it valid year on year, although not accrue additional.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back