Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

pdk or not: crisis need help!

andrew1965

The PDK system is quick but I need guidance as my 'what options shall we put in the 997?' is coming up. All your opinions will be much appreciated. At the moment I am 50.50.

All the best.

Andrew

I have always been a huge fan of standard manual cars but If I were ordering a facelift I am pretty sure I would be going for PDK.

As for other options, I think I spec'd my car pretty well by picking a good set of wheels but otherwise sticking with hardcore options and less of the frilly stuff i.e. BOSE, Sports Chrono, Sports Exhaust, Heated Seats, Telephone & Nav, Sports Seats. You can get carried away with crested head rests, aluminium, carbon, extra leather when the money can be spent well elsewhere on options that people want on the second hand market.

My only interior extravagence was the centre console painted in exterior colour and what a difference it makes to the car, all Porsche owners comment on how much better it looks than standard black.

if

If the PDK System brings the 0-62 time down to 4.5 seconds. How much will it be reduced with the engine/exhaust upgrade?

I think you have to go for it mate. PDK is the next gen. of gearbox design and much as i like manuals, the +'s of PDK just seem to be vast.

As for the other options, i'd go for much the same as Jamie suggested but i defo would have the embossed crest on the headrests! 8)

Taran :bandit:

Having had the DCT golf I personally think I'd go manual. It was great for your day to day driving, stop start, nearly every situation except for when I wanted to go for a fast drive.....

My issue was I personally couldn't get the right gear. The gear indicator light was tiny, you don't have a visualisation of the gear you're in by the stick position etc.... I found myself not being sure if I was in 4th 5th or 6th sometimes so clicking back a few cogs could wind me up in silly rev land.... I just never got it working seemlessly with me.... but again, that's me... The technology on the Golf Gti was faultless doing exactly as instructed....

Daily driver yep, no question, weekend car? Not sure.... I personally love to push the clutch, pull the gears and know where my hand is on the stick where I'm going to next ..... I get more enjoyment from that aspect of the car...

PDK is the way forward I think but I'm not sure Porsche have really thought about it, unless that is there are two versions.

I just don't like the buttons on the steering wheel to be honest, they should have done paddles like everyone else in sports car world....

It looks cr@p IMO.

ResB said:
PDK is the way forward I think but I'm not sure Porsche have really thought about it, unless that is there are two versions.

I just don't like the buttons on the steering wheel to be honest, they should have done paddles like everyone else in sports car world....

It looks cr@p IMO.

:eek: Are there no paddles?

I thought they were going to have paddles?! Why are there no paddles?

Taran :frustrated:

tazsura said:
ResB said:

It looks cr@p IMO.

:eek: Are there no paddles?

I thought they were going to have paddles?! Why are there no paddles?

Taran :frustrated:

The same reason Porsche put the engine at the rear, didn't use water for so many years..... to be different..... for good or bad.....
:D

Lol, very true, they do like to be different.

Just had a look on the micorsite for the new model. Looks like they've adapted the steering wheel and there are paddles.

Phew :worship:

Taran :thumb:

Don't hink they are padddles sadly, they are just rather largeish buttons position near the thumb rest on the wheel. Unless there is a hidden back paddle. I am not sure. This clutch system makes it bloody fast though. Also guys did you notice that thee is a sport rxtra button....bloody hell engage that and you are probably in hyperspace.

Bloody typical. I get all the options sorted out nicely in my head, then I see the PDK UNIT and now I am totally confused. The only things I have straight in my mind is the colour of the car: Guard's Red. I thought the interiror would be black leather with red stitching from the special options range. (any other interior colours can go with red?) and again from the special options list the illuminated signature take from a mould and the PAN AM styled fuel cap. As for the rest all your feedback will be interesting? How good is the Bose in the Carrera S?
Also do you like the new wheels, they look lighter.

andrew1965 said:
Don't hink they are padddles sadly, they are just rather largeish buttons position near the thumb rest on the wheel. Unless there is a hidden back paddle. I am not sure. This clutch system makes it bloody fast though. Also guys did you notice that thee is a sport rxtra button....bloody hell engage that and you are probably in hyperspace.

Hmm, that's what i thought Andrew from looking at the pics, but dived further into the microsite, and it said that you 'push' the paddle to go up a gear and 'pull' to go down a gear.

I like the wheels, probably would be lighter knowing Porsche. I'd have mine in Ruby Red metallic. 8)

Taran :?:

pull & push the "paddles"? eh, that sounds like a thumb control thingy to me, al la tippytronic. I also read that the stick is set up back to front, push for an up shift & pull for down, opposite to an race car and indeed natural intuitiveness.

I have driven DSG, if PDK is anything like DSG I would go for a manual. DSG was great in full auto mode or flat out straight line accelleration. Coming up to stop at a light, or approaching a r-a-b and seeing a gap it was invariably anticipating the wrong change. 4th to second or 4th to 6th changes are not possible either. It was just like an auto really.

It's not the cog swapping that's the issue, the dsg was superb at that, it's all the other stuff where you would normally have and want control with the clutch that seemed to be the big downside.

I've driven a PDK 997 and was seriously impressed with it. It would certainly be my choice if I was buying a new 911.

There's a 14-page feature in the next T911 all about the new car, majoring on PDK.

Cheers

Phil

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back