Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Audi 3.0 TDI diesel confirmed for Porsche Cayenne, update

Porsche News

Many will cringe at the idea of a diesel-powered Porsche, but since Stuttgart rolled out its first SUV, we've all had a while to get used to the idea.

Although previous speculation held on to hopes that Porsche might employ a more powerful 3.2-litre oil-burner, reports now indicate that the Cayenne diesel will employ Audi's 240-bhp 3.0-litre TDI V6.

Expect the diesel Cayenne to debut next March, following a probable launch at the 2009 Geneva auto show.
Source: Automotive News Europe[/quote]

Attachments

• porsche_audi_tdi_324.jpg
    porsche_audi_tdi_324.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 5,823
OH DEAR...

Just joined the MG SV Owners forum and this might be the straw that breaks the camels back for me and Porsche.

This is so wrong for many reasons, but mostly for the integrity of the man at the top.

A sad day...

Oh stop being Porsche snobs....just go and get a Q7

That engine is brilliant! Much better than anything porsche would likely come up with.

Interestingly Audi are coming out with a 6.0L TDI engine this year for the Q7. The Q7 is a far superior car to the Cayenne anyhow.

ps i also have a Q7.....

In my opinion the words diesel and brilliant should never appear in the same sentence :hand: (Except possibly a headline like "brilliant news: diesel engines banned") :floor:

Actually just worked out that I would be better off with a RRS Supercharged, than a RRS diesel as most of the people I work for pay 10p per mile more for over 3000 cc petrol cars than the biggest diesels :D Factoring the fuel cost difference I will be about 2p per mile better off - and MUCH happier! :thumb:

Sorry Wattie, I can think of several brilliant diesel engines :D

993C2S said:
Sorry Wattie, I can think of several brilliant diesel engines :D

Actually, so can I...

The one in a Routemaster bus, The Volvo F70 truck, Land Rover Defender, and my Sprinter 316 :floor: :floor: :floor:

Now a report claims Wendelin Wiedeking, Porsche's CEO, has revealed that the Cayenne will indeed be getting the V6 diesel from the Volkswagen Touareg.

In the VW, the V6 TDI engine gets 24.5mpg (9.6L/100km) at a rated 240bhp (179kW), and according to Autobild the Cayenne diesel will use the same engine at the same ratings. That's a substantial decrease in power from the 290bhp (216kW) petrol unit, but an equally significant improvement in fuel economy, compared to the petrol engine's 18.2mpg (12.9L/100km).

The hybrid Cayenne is said to be a diesel-lithium-ion combination, which would certainly make it both highly efficient and quite expensive. Electric-only range is expected to reach as far 155mi (250km), effectively making the Porsche an EV for most uses. Such lofty figures and features would fit well with Porsche's high standards, but would likewise make the initial investment very high and would also command a substantial premium over either the petrol or diesel-only models.

The diesel is expected to arrive sometime next year, but the hybrid will wait until 2010. A redesigned version of the Cayenne is due that same year, so the addition of the hybrid makes logistical sense. For more on the 2010 Cayenne, including a video of the SUV in action, check out our previous coverage.

Diesel_cayenne.jpg

Report: No decision made on Porsche diesel

Rumours of Porsche adding a diesel powertrain to the Cayenne have been making the rounds for months, but with almost nothing in the way of official confirmation, and more than one official denial, the existence of an oil-burning Porsche will remain just speculation. Most reports have suggested that Porsche was planning to use an Audi sourced V6 turbodiesel in its Cayenne next year, but according to a spokesman at this week's Paris Motor Show Audi is yet to give authorization for use of its engines.

Speaking with AutoTelegraaf, the spokesman said Porsche has made no announcement on a Cayenne diesel but was open to borrowing a diesel engine from another carmaker. One major hurdle for Porsche is the infighting that is going on between Porsche and Audi's parent company Volkswagen Group.

Bad blood between VW chairman Ferdinand Pià«ch and Porsche CEO and VW board member Wendelin Wiedeking may see any plans for Porsche to borrow Audi technology blocked by Pià«ch. However, both execs have denied claims of company infighting as just media speculation.

Audi is currently developing a new 3.2L V6 diesel engine with more than 300hp (225kW) and fuel economy of about 30mpg (7.8L/100km) in its sedan models (an SUV would have slightly worse fuel economy figures). Porsche was rumored to be considering the engine for its Cayenne SUV next year and was reported to be planning to build up to 15,000 diesel units per year.

In the Cayenne the new diesel is expected to achieve a fuel economy rating of 23mpg (9.9L/100km), a significant improvement over the current V6 petrol model, which is rated at 18.2mpg (12.9L/100km).

Attachments

• cd_396.jpg
    cd_396.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 5,075
:eek: It's a sad and slippery path, whats next a 997 GT3 RS(d)?F1(d)? I can just imagine the tree huggers " oh yes but think about the mpg", sorry I bought a Porsche and live in the Middle East so I don't have to worry about the mpg, if my next Porsche goes faster and handles better, at 6p a litre, it can do whatever mpg it wants.

Max

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back