Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Road Angel Power

ODB

Hi

I will apologise in advance because I am sure this question will have been asked times many ( I did search but I couldn't find anyhting ).... I want to fit an road angel and I need 12v power, basically does anyone have any advise on how to do it other than buy a battery version?

Many Thanks

Dave

ODB said:
Hi

I will apologise in advance because I am sure this question will have been asked times many ( I did search but I couldn't find anyhting ).... I want to fit an road angel and I need 12v power, basically does anyone have any advise on how to do it other than buy a battery version?

Many Thanks

Dave

I am hungover, but your post has completely confused me. Are you saying you want to fit a road angel in your car, and are wondering where to get 12v power from...? Umm...

Dave,

I think we need a little more info here. What model are you trying to fit it into?

Take it you don't have a cigarette lighter socket for some reason. If it's been removed at some point maybe the wiring is still there somewhere tucked away.

ODB said:
Yep that's it....

Thanks

Dave

Ah, right, now its crystal clear. Okay, I would suggest buying one of these: link

Either strap it to the back of the car using some bungy cords, or get some roof racks. Then all you need is this: link

which I reckon you could hide in the footwell.

This should provide you with the 12v output you need to run the Road Angel.

To be honest, I really cant think of any other way to get a 12v power source in a car and solve the problem you have described. I hope this helps. :food:

OK maybe I'm not making this very easy to read.... I have a road angel that I want fit in the C2S, however it needs a 12v power supply. In my old car I ran the supply lead to the fuse box and managed to hide the wire making it look almost a professional fit. So I need access to a 12v supply up near the windscreen and can the wire be hidden anywhere?

I don't really want a cable from the cig lighter to the road angel if it can be avoided.

Thanks

Dave

Dave,

OK, makes more sense now. You want an alternate 12 power source from under the dash. Sorry cannot help you on that one, easy with a 964 though as all the wires are there to play with :)

OK so all with more modern cars, what optional accessory could there be with a wiring harness tucked away under the dash that Dave could hook into?

Personally I wouldn't feed from the back of the cigarette lighter as it isn't switched with the ignition in my car (early 996). Maybe from the audio supply?

As far as I understand (correct me if I am wrong), you simply want to harness 12V power from the car to power the Road Angel.

As mentioned you have two options (or 1 in your case).

Option 1:
- You can feed the power from the ciq socket. This may be a bit simpler as you will not need to run any power cables through.

Option 2 (I went for this):
- Feed the power directly from the battery. (To keep it separate from the existing electronics).

I did this by feed the power cable through a vent hole (or whatever it called), located near the drivers side footwell area. This then leads up to the bay where the battery is located - front of the car, boot space area.

The mesh was removed from either side of the battery and basically made a hole for the wire to run through within the rubber plug and connected it to the battery.

I also put a fuse in between the live wire to prevent overload. One downside to it is that you'll must remove the RA to prevent draining the battery flat.

(Did this on the 996).

Hope it helps.

I hardwired in my Pogo Alert (like Road Angel) using the switched live feed from the stereo harness (with inline fuse).

Ran the wire up behind the dash, then up through the windscreen dash vent.

ODB is your C2S a 993?

Thanks guy's this is just the kind of information I need.... On my old M3 I was able to connect to the glove box light and through a vent. I was hoping to do something simliar.

The car is a 997 C2S.

Many Thanks

Dave

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back