Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Burning Oil

Bonners

I have a C4S 2006, in warranty !

I understand that they use oil but, mine smokes a bit on start and also when slowing down then "booting" at, say, a roundabout.

Anyone with similar experience ?

The strange thing is that the left side exhaust is "blackened" whilst the right side is not. It's almost like it's running rich on one side only !!!

Any ideas ?

How many miles has it done?

I'd get it checked by a dealer. Something not right. A bit of smoke when you start it for the first time is not uncommon.

Bonners said:
It's done 33K, possibly a breather blocked ?

Yeah, could be, or a sticking valve perhaps. Mine has done 32k and I sometimes get a bit of smoke when I first fire up after the car has been stood all night in the garage. The garage is on a slight slope also, so I don't know if this is one of the reasons for this.

I think breather is favourite, I'll book it in and see what they say !

Thanks for your advice

The description is the normal consequence of being on engine overun which tends to draw oil down the inlet valve guides in particular, as the engine is sucking at the intake but the throttle valves are shut.
When you put your foot back down this then burns the oil off.
If the valve checks out OK, then talk to them about your Valve Seals being worn, just to get it noted just in case etc.
Regards Big Bob

Hi, This really does sound like valve seals, as engine is burning off oil. I have a 2006 997 C2S (12000 miles) and it burns about 1 litre every 4000 miles. Hope this helps. Kev.

Attachments

• 911_174.jpg
    911_174.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 4,670
also when slowing down then "booting" at, say, a r

I have exactly this issue with my car although it's a 996. It has totally mistified my local indy who despite being out with me and seeing it and having it in on 4 seperate occasions can't find a reason for it. Like you it's one exhaust, only when booitng it and most likely when slowing down and booting it round a bend or out of a bend. car runs fine though apart form that though! :frustrated:

Sadly while many mechanics are trained in how to repair items,
they often have not experienced the engineering dynamics of engines, and how they behave.
Sorry about that but it is the product of being an old git
Regards Big Bob :bye: :eek:ld:

you cant beat experience !

Big Bob said:
Sadly while many mechanics are trained in how to repair items,
they often have not experienced the engineering dynamics of engines, and how they behave.
Sorry about that but it is the product of being an old git
Regards Big Bob :bye: :eek:ld:

Valve stem seals, common repair on Mitsubishi's at anything from 60k miles.... To do this without stripping down the engine it was simply a case of drilling out a spark plug, fitting an air fitting, screwing it into the spark plug hole, putting 100psi into the cylinder which keeps the valves from falling in when you undo the valve spring to change the stem seal....
Simple! :)

Thanks for that men

It's booked in OPC next wednesday, I'll report back subsequently

Bonners

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back