Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Supercup 2008, Race 5 Monaco-Sean Edwards 3rd! Video

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
Schedule Monaco
Thursday 22.5.2008 17.15 - 18.00 Free practice
Friday 23.5.2008 09.30 - 10.15 Qualifying
Sunday 25.5.2008 09.45 - 10.20 Race

TV COVERAGE
So. 25.05 Eurosport Motorsports Week 00:00 Uhr Highlights 05:00 min N.N.
So. 25.05 Motors TV N.N. 00:00 Uhr Highlights 10:00 min N.N.
So. 25.05 Eurosport Porsche Supercup 09:45 Uhr 5. Rennen live 50:00 min 09:45 - 10:30
So. 25.05 Premiere Porsche Supercup 09:45 Uhr 5. Rennen live 50:00 min 09:45 - 10:35

Monaco

Besides the 24 hours of Le Mans and the 500 miles of Indianapolis, the Monaco Grand Prix is one of the most famous automobile races in the world. On one hand glamour and high society are determining the character of this race, while we have on the other hand extremely difficult conditions for the drivers and teams.

Winners on this track
Year - Pole Position - Pole-Time Winner Fastest Lap Time
2007 J. Bleekemolen (NEL) 1:37.591 J. Bleekemolen (NEL) R. Westbrook (GBR) 1:38.435
2006 R. Lietz (AUT) 1:37.646 R. Lietz (AUT) R. Lietz (AUT) 1:38.750
2005 P. Huisman (NEL) 1:37.012 P. Hiusman (NEL) D. Saelens (BEL) 1:38.034
2004 M. Rockenfeller (GER) 1:38.530 M. Rockenfeller (GER) M. Rockenfeller (GER) 1:39.359
2003 F. Stippler (GER) 1:39.946 W. Henzler (GER) F. Stippler (GER) 1:42.509
2002 P. Peter (AUT) 1:44.174 P. Peter (AUT) C. Bouchut (FRA) 1:43.908
2001 S. Ortelli (ITA) 1:42.179 S. Ortelli (ITA) S. Ortelli (ITA) 1:43.508
2000 S. Ortelli (ITA) 1:42.179 S. Ortelli (ITA) S. Ortelli (ITA) 1:43.561
1999 R. Kelleners (GER) 1:42.894 R. Kelleners (GER) S. Maassen (GER) 1:44.350
1998 P. Huisman (NEL) 1:43.553 P. Huisman (NEL) J.P. Jarier (FRA) 1:45.453
1997 J.P. Malcher (FRA) 1:45.628 J.P. Malcher (FRA) H. Farnbacher (GER) 1:46.577
1996 E. Collard (FRA) 1:45.334 E. Collard (FRA) E. Collard (FRA) 1:46.650
1995 J.P. Malcher (FRA) 1:47.999 J.P. Malcher (FRA) E. Collard (FRA) 1:48.039
1994 B. Corradi (ITA) 1:47.861 U. Alzen (GER) U. Alzen (GER) 1:48.698
1993 M. Hà¤kkinen (FIN) 1:49.502 M. Hà¤kkinen (FIN) A. Heger (GER) 1:50.269

Attachments

• sc_monaco_154.jpg
    sc_monaco_154.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 11,820
1st pole for Bleekemolen, Sean Edwards 4th

It's ten o clock in the morning: The Monegasque early birds celebrity's are slurping their first Café-au-Lait in the bar, that's only one arm length away from the race track, getting foamed up the milk free of charge by the Porsche 991, passing by only inches away from their cups.

Thanks to the non permanent circuit, the lap times are dropping down like the crash ice in the sinful expensive cocktails. Chris Mamerow, Jeroen Bleekemolen, Damien Faulkner, Uwe Alzen and the fantastically performing Sean Edwards, David Saelens as well as Monaco newcomer René Rast appoint themselves to the major actors in the Qualifying thriller of Monaco.

With 1:36.500 min 2007 Polesitter Jeroen Bleekemolen undercuts its own best time from the last year by almost a second. "Today is one of the best days of my life", he rejoices, clenches the fist and embraces his team manager. "My lap was quite good, and the best of all: I could save a new set of tyres for the race on Sunday." With a lead of 1/10 of a second the Netherlander fetches his first poles of the season in front of Lechner pilot Damien Faulkner. 'Maybe I forgot that today is Friday, because on Friday we are normally the fastest", the Irish man laughs. 'Nevertheless, we had at least a good qualifying. Although Jeroen Bleekemolen has a remarkable lead, I managed to be in the front row. We both got a good advantage on Uwe Alzen and now I hope for a good start on Sunday.

One of the most pushing drivers is Uwe Alzen. He rushes through the channel millimetres away of barriers with long slides like hardly any another of his colleagues. 'This is possible in Monaco. You can drift without loosing time", the SPS pilot grins. With about 4/10 of a second the gap to the pole-sitter is relatively big for the Supercup, but the German feels contend. "Since Istanbul we have got the car working the right way and with that we made a decisive step forward."

A great surprise will start alongside Alzen from the second row on Sunday. Sean Edwards, team-mate of championship leader Jan Seyffarth, as the best of the rookie's with the Konrad Porsche claims forth rank. 'With a terrific car I had a almost traffic free and perfect lap, what can be seen clearly on the stop watches", Edwards says. "However, I nevertheless have a great problem. I have ruined my stomach last night and I am still completely feeble now and I then, unfortunately I had a little crash at the end. But that's Monaco, without risk you can not improve."

David Saelens on his home circuit becomes fifth. "This was an announced prediction", he laughs. "All my mates who are here, otherwise would have revoked their friendship." René Rast, on position six, is second best of the Monaco rookies. "That's not a reason to be angry, although I still can improve some things." Table leader Jan Seyffarth finished seventh with a clear aim for the Sunday. "In any case I would like to fetch some points". Chris Mamerow, without a chance to attack in the final phase of the session, finished eighth in front of his team mate Jaap van Lagen and Patrick Huisman, who ranks tenth.

At his thirtieth start in Monaco, Michael Bleekemolen will start 21th position into the race. The 5th round of the championship over 16 laps is started on Sunday at 9.45am hours. TV stations Premiere and Eurosports will provide a live coverage of the action.

Attachments

• se_1_424.jpg
    se_1_424.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 11,818
Jeroen Bleekemolen wins the 5th round of the Porsche Supercup at Monaco in front of Damien Faulkner and rookie Sean Edwards. Because of the heavy rain the race was started behind the safety-car. The race distance was shortened to 35 minutes.

"An excellent day for me", winner Jeroen Bleekemolen shouted out after the race when he took the congratulations from his team manager Marcel Kesseler in front of the royal box. "A great thank-you primarily to my pursuer Damien Faulkner who was obviously faster but never did a unfair manoeuvre." Bleekemolen, who with a start-finish-victory repeated his last years success, had to fight with a bad rain-setup of his car. "Only our traction was good, while the Grip was rather bad", his team manager Marcel Kesseler explained. "Bad weather, good day", opponent Faulkner laughs. "The coin today had two sides. I am satisfied with the second rank at these conditions and with a terrific car, however, I could have gone faster, but could pass Jeroen Bleekemolen. That's Monaco!"

Because of the rain the race was started behind the safety-car and later, instead of the planned 16 laps, shortened to a 35 minutes distance. At the initial phase of the race the main actors on the slippery circuit were primarily Jeroen Bleekemolen and the pushing Damien Faulkner as well as Uwe Alzen and Monaco rookie Sean Edwards. Faulkner put an enormous pressure on last year winner Bleekemolen, who makes a mistake in lap four. The Jetstream pilot miss-brakes, had to go through the shortcut in the harbour-chicane, but could stay in the lead. 'The conditions were disastrously", Uwe Alzen, who finished fourth, said after the race. "I didn't see anything, had to move side wards again and again, to see what happens in front of me." Jaap van Lagen, driving in the Midfield, reported an even harder job. 'After three laps my windscreen-wiper failed. Any questions? I was purely a blind flight."

Behind the quartet at the lead David Saelens leads the pursuers with René Rast, championship leader Jan Seyffarth, Chris Mamerow and the two Netherlanders Jaap van Lagen and Patrick Huisman. At about the halftime of the race, Uwe Alzen starts an attack on Damien Faulkner. Both slipped slightly off the ideal line.

Sean Edwards, who suffered an upset stomach, becomes the beneficiary at his first Monaco start, is able to pass Alzen and is heading toward his first podium finish. "Bad weather, good day", Edwards follows the Faulkner statement. "After I could profit from Alzen's slide, I only have tried to keep the car on the track. The Konrad Porsche was good for a victory, but overtaking in Monaco is impossible."

In the final phase of the race primarily the pursuers from fifth position up delivered the action in the rain battle at Monaco. David Saelens and Patrick Huisman closed the gap to the top four more and more each lap and in the last lap were in the back of Alzen. "I wanted to pass Alzen when suddenly the chequered flag came out". Saelens was surprised that the race was shortened from 16 laps to 30 minutes. "However, all in all we are very content", his team-mate Patrick Huisman completes. 'It seems as if I was the only driver of the front runners who managed to overtake here in Monaco." The fourfold champion passed four opponents during the race "We finally are going to test now and then hopefully have a good start into the second half of the season."

The Netherlander Michael Bleekemolen, who went through his thirtieth start in Monaco, covered rank 20th. His son Jeroen won the race and with the victory he now ranks first in the championship equal in points with Jan Seyffarth: "At least I am still in front of the standings, because finishing eighth is not really what I expected from the race", Seyffarth says.

Most of the teams from Monaco will travel right away to Magny Cours for testing. At the French circuit the sixth round of the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup will take place on June 22nd.

Attachments

• mon3_521.jpg
    mon3_521.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 11,784
  • mon1_164.jpg
    mon1_164.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 11,784
An great result from Sean Edwards, after a strong 4th in qualifying then 3rd and the podium for his home race !

Attachments

• mon10_397.jpg
    mon10_397.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 11,782
  • mon8_147.jpg
    mon8_147.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 11,782
  • mon7_466.jpg
    mon7_466.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 11,782
  • mon6_126.jpg
    mon6_126.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 11,782
  • mon5_448.jpg
    mon5_448.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 11,782
  • mon4_165.jpg
    mon4_165.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 11,782
  • mon2_187.jpg
    mon2_187.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 11,782
Congratulations Sean - brilliant result. :thumb:

Looking at the GP, I'll bet you're glad you haven't got an extra 300 hp and half a tonne less weight.

Sean Edwards...

'That was an incredible race. It was almost impossible to see anything. I had a reasonable start, taking it easy for the first few laps and then I started to put pressure on Uwe and he eventually made a mistake. I tried everything to get past Damien, but it's almost impossible here without significant contact, which I did not want to risk!

Uwe was really pushing me hard in the last few laps, and hit me quite hard a few times, but luckily I kept it out of the wall and got a great result for myself and the team, who did a amazing job as usual with the setup of the car. I really hope we can take this momentum forward for the rest of the season."

Sean Edwards, Konrad Motorsport

well done Sean, top job matey 8)

only saw the race yesterday as was away on holiday. Glad to say i had much better weather than you did at Monaco !

Well Done, nice save on the 1st lap.

Talk about a close finish, how on earth did you see in all that rain so close the car in front.

Paul GT3 said:
Well Done, nice save on the 1st lap.

Talk about a close finish, how on earth did you see in all that rain so close the car in front.

You can't see anything. Just go on previous knowledge of the track and if you can see the brake lights of the car ahead, you can go on that too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back