Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Incredible tyre wear and possible geo/setup problem

Well GD, looks like the Forum have got your buddy a lot of data here to follow up the problem.
Regards Big Bob

Hi,

Yes, this has been fantastic...really appreciate the responses.

I think the Nissan 350z known issue is slightly different and refers to uneven wear....but I'll pass the information on!

With regards to this point:

".... is the rears and they are wearing evenly acroos the width of both tyres, it does not point to rear geometry. Does the car have a limited slip diff? It might be a problem with the differential causing the wear, especially, if he does a lot of turning in cities etc. "

I suspect the 350z will have a limited slip/diff. Can you please elaborate as to why this would be a problem? Yes, he lives in the middle of a busy town (near me, in fact), so it would be a lot of turning, reversing (avoiding pot holes!!! etc).

The car is still under warranty, so this could be well be covered!

GD said:
Hi,

".... is the rears and they are wearing evenly acroos the width of both tyres, it does not point to rear geometry. Does the car have a limited slip diff? It might be a problem with the differential causing the wear, especially, if he does a lot of turning in cities etc. "

I suspect the 350z will have a limited slip/diff. Can you please elaborate as to why this would be a problem? Yes, he lives in the middle of a busy town (near me, in fact), so it would be a lot of turning, reversing (avoiding pot holes!!! etc).

The car is still under warranty, so this could be well be covered!

No Probs GD. When you are turning a corner, the inner driven wheel has to turn less times than the outer one. Think of a compass point stuck in the paper, as you scribe the circle with the outer leg, the outer leg travels a lot further than the inner, which is in fact stationary.
Much the same with the car, but the differential allows the inner wheel to travel the shorter distance. However with a Limited Slip Diff or a Diff Problem the inner wheel still wants to turn like the outer, and compensates by scrubbing the rubber, instead of activating the diff.
Hopefully thats an understandable explanation :chin:
Regards Big Bob :bye:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back