Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Diesel Porsche gets go-ahead

andrew1965

I found this on a very reliable news agency source in Sweden

Porsche utvecklar sportig V6-diesel
Porsche har ihà¤rdigt fà¶rnekat att man ska utveckla egna dieselmodeller. Men kommande krav pॠbrà¤nslebesparingar tvingar nu folket i Zuffenhausen att tà¤nka om. Rà¤kna med en sportig V6-diesel redan nà¤sta à¥r - fà¶rst ut à¤r Cayenne. (source http://www.automotorsport.se/bara/om/71/porsche/

Basically it states that Porsche have started developing a sporty V6 diesel engine. It will be brought out late next year in the Cayenne.

Furthermore, sources have told me that the clubsport version of the Cayman is on the move and it will be part of Porsche's experimentation with composite materials.

Makes sense- tractor engine for a tractor. Actually, I think it would be a much better car with a torquey diesel.

Now, the clubsport Cayman sounds fun, if a little scary for GT3 owners on trackdays...

Word over on RS6.com (don't know how much of this is true, but there are quite a few Audi workers on there and their info has always been commendable in my experience) is that Porsche's hand has been forced on the Cayman due to the new TT-RS.

They didn't want to make it any faster i.e Clubsport or a Turbo but the new TT-RS has produced suprising results that make the ordinary Cayman look a little weedy.

Taran :?:

I was told at Porsche GB HQ last year that Porsche wouldn't develop a diesel engine instead investing in hybrid's.

..ah, beat me to it!

Was going to say that Audi are developing high performance diesels to be used in the S and possibly RS ranges in the future. So it would seem more than likely Porsche will use one of these installation in the Cayenne.

Taran :bandit:

Still doesn't mean I like the idea! I don't think it's what a Porsche is all about. If you want a Diesel Cayenne, buy a Touraeg or a Range Rover Sport.

Yep, I hear ya Jamie. But in these times, with everyone seemingly on a eco-drive, Porsche as a brand, at least has to be seen trying to do something to aid matters. Co-developing or using a hybrid and/or diesel from Audi is a wise move at relatively low cost in my eyes. As long as they don't stick it in the 911 i don't mind!

I wonder if the Panamera will get a derv? More likely they'll go Hybrid in that i think...

Taran :frustrated:

Jamie said:
Still doesn't mean I like the idea! I don't think it's what a Porsche is all about. If you want a Diesel Cayenne, buy a Touraeg or a Range Rover Sport.

To be fair, I don't think a Cayenne is what porsche is about either. But, given that they seem to be sticking with it, putting a deeezel in it will certainly broaden the appeal. I think its the right thing to do- you need a torquey engine for a lump like that...

Maybe Porsche have realised that Hybrids are a total sham, unless of course for the zero emmissions round town bit. :?:

I agree the Cayenne is not what Porsche is all about. Everytinme I meet a Cayenne owner at the Porsche Club because just like my parents 'if he didn't I couldn't'. The Cayenne's existence is to fund the Porsche expansion, the 911 and racing. I just spent 1.200 quid on the Porsche racing overalls. The brand must be amazing if I chose to do that and not spend 400 on similar overalls without the Porsche design effect. Long live the Cayenne and mayshe change or alter as long as the 911 can be left in peace from the so called eco warriors :bandit:

There will also be a drive to lower the C02 emissions and a diesel will help do that. Regardless of what we think they have to do that.

Robertb said:
I think its the right thing to do- you need a torquey engine for a lump like that...

Maybe Porsche have realised that Hybrids are a total sham, unless of course for the zero emmissions round town bit. :?:

Hybrids are only a sham if they claim to be ONLY about saving emissions:

Sooner or later we are going to run out of fossil fuels (OK if we all drove eco-diesels that may be a couple of years later than if we didn't). Bio-fuels are already being dismissed as an alternative - as it's kind of useful to have some food being grown in the World instead. So the future of personal transport is most likely to be hydrogen fuel cell (based on current knowledge)...

And guess what powertrain you need for hydrogen fuel cells?

You guessed it... hybrid :D

Diesels are just a distraction to meet current emissions taxation / legislation and keep sales ticking over until World Governments realise they have been barking up the wrong tree for the last 10 years (or maybe not, if their aim was to raise as much stealth tax revenue as possible before they got found out :wink: )

Finally, if you want loads of low down torque for a 4 x 4, nothing produces more torque from rest than an electric motor: So if you want low end grunt for getting heavy trailers off the line and climbing impossibly steep hills, use an electric motor. And if you want to go fast on motorways with a nice engine note and plenty of revs, get a petrol engine...

Oh wait, I think that's called a hybrid :hand: :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinld56
Back