Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil leak 56 plate

mikee2k

Hi guys
just had porsche assist pick up my car as it was leaking oil, it turned out it was a seal on the front of the engine, Porsche swindon fixed it and provided a courtesy car they said it took 7hrs labour to fix, thank god or the warranty!

question is should a 18month old car have a broken seal, is there anything else i should get them to checkm or be aware of??

cheers

Mike

on another note ive just realise they have split wheel cleaning acid over the hubs of all my wheels! leaving white streaks all over the place?

they said they will come out tuesday to clean it off however does anyone know anything that will get rid of it?

Mike. It sounds like you have suffered a Rear Main Seal failure (RMS) It is a common problem with the watercooled cars with the exception of the Turbo and GT models (which have the crankcase design from the air cooled cars) I think it is caused by the crank being able to move slightly on its axis because of the distance from the last journal to the RMS. This seal is the one where the crank comes out of the engine to spin the flywheel and in turn the gearbox.

It would be worth asking them if they changed the intermediate shaft seal at the same time as it is only about a £20 part.

The RMS weaping is not a huge issue unless it suddenly starts gushing oil but the intermediate is more likely to cause damage and is usually less noticeable.

The unfortunate thing about the RMS is that there is no guarentee that it won't go again. Porsche have tried numerous designs of this seal and the tool to seat it without that much success. Depending on the mileage, a lot of people get their clutch changed at the same time as the cost of the parts is less than half that of the labour and the warranty company are paying for the labour.

thanks for that, its a 56 plate with 18k on the clock, they have fixed it now so i didnt think about asking for the clutch to be changed,

they are coming out again to try clean up the mess they have made of my wheels hubs where they spilt alloy cleaner all over it,

think i see an official complaint being made see what compensation they might give me ;0)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmacleod
Back