Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Waiting for Targa 4s

When I went to pick up a 997 Targa the OPC said that Porsche have improved the 997 targa roof so that it doesn't squeak or rattle as much as the 996. (I bought the 996 from the someone who bought a new 997 Targa 4s).

I have driven this 997 targa several times (it's now done 2k) and the roof sounds exactly the same as mine (ie. squeaks), so I'm not so sure.

That said, it's still a lovely car and this one is also in midnight blue. As with all dark coloured cars, just be careful how you clean it as the paint shows swirls really easily!! Definitely the right choice IMO.

PS Although the 997 targa is a much better car than the 996 targa, one area that hasn't improved is the roof mechanism. On the 996 you get one button for the blind and one for the roof. On the 997 you get a single button and have to double-click it to get the blind...and I couldn't get blind to work whilst the roof was retracting.

On the flipside, the 997 seats are more comfortable, the cabin looks more modern, the metal down the side of the body looks fantastic, it's a wide body, got better brakes, better lights (both in form, ie. Porsche (round) traditional and quality (xenon)), better suspension and a better engine!!!

Good mini-review GD - wish it could have been longer! I am steadily saving up the funds for said car. A bit disappointed when you said the roof mechanism isn't any better than a 996's. I read elsewhere it's exactly the same mechanism from the 996 with the only difference being the sliding glass panel in a 997 is a shade lighter than on a 996. Lookswise the car seems to be much more attractive than the 996.

~ Maxie

Interesting point about the tint in the roof...I'll have a closer look.

My impression was that the visibility out of the rear of the 997 (with the roof back) was worse than the 996....that said, it's hard enough to see out of the back of the 996 with the roof back! :)

There's certainly a few 997 Targa's appearing on the market now (mostly the non 'S' variety though), up from virtually 0 around Christmas...so there will certainly be a few to choose from on the 2nd hand market soon (and outside the OPC network).

Sorry....I mis-explained the roof bit. I meant the glass panel was lighter in weight (not tint!). Agreed it's difficult to look out back with the panel retracted however scrolling back the blind does help matters a bit if you're not already doing that.

Not sure if it's worth going for a non-S model; if you look at the C2 vs C2S debate, it always seems the S model is more in demand and more likely to have stronger residuals later on. Just imo.

~ Maxie

Targa 4s suspension

Hi

I am wrestling with whether the new Targa 4s is too much of a GT as I have read the suspension set up is alot softer than a coupe? I had a 996 targa which I loved, but it stuggled on a track due to the softer suspension. Does anyone know how the new 997 targa compares, esp given the option to now select Sports on the PSM? :?:

Visually I think the targa is gorgeous, I just dont want to feel I cannot take it on a track? Having saved for ages, I am hop ing to get one of the new faclfted versions

Chris

I think the T4/T4S model is a GT as it does indeed have the softer suspension compared to a Carrera. However, once PASM is selected and you have the sports suspension on the go, I'd say the car would be ok for the track. What colour are you getting?

~ Maxie

Followed a '08 plate meteor grey one down the M23 last week, I must say it look very well..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back