Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Actual acceleration figures for the C2S?

Venge

Porsche claims a 4.8 acceleration time for the C2S manual tranny, but ive read it is in reality able to achieve figures as low as 4.0 seconds.

I was wondering if the same very-conservative approach was given to the C2S in tiptronic as well. Porsche claims a 5.3 time for the 0-60, does anybody know the actual acceleration figure for the tiptronic C2S?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh that made me laugh.

In reality you will never get anywhere near the manufacturer's claimed times unless you are prepared to thrash the clutch, engine , gearbox etc to within an inch of their existence. I guess with Tips you can get closer as you just have to bury your right foot.

I think Porsche' official timings are based on 0-100 kmh which is 0-62 mph (conversion)

The 997C2S feels every much as quick as a 4.5 sec 0-60mph car should.

Venge said:
Porsche claims a 4.8 acceleration time for the C2S manual tranny, but ive read it is in reality able to achieve figures as low as 4.0 seconds.

I was wondering if the same very-conservative approach was given to the C2S in tiptronic as well. Porsche claims a 5.3 time for the 0-60, does anybody know the actual acceleration figure for the tiptronic C2S?

The fastest recorded 0-60mph time for a standard 997S that I can find (after loads of Internet searching) is 3.9 seconds by Car & Driver magazine in the US. Several other magazines have recorded early 4's. Car & Driver was so surprised by its (repeatable) time that it even had the car dyno'd to make sure it hadn't been tweaked. The power output was as expected. It eventually put the incredible time down to the fact that the test car (very unusually for a 7S) didn't tramp off the line whereas they normally love to hop!! Later tests by the same magazine recorded 4.2 sec if memory serves.

If you google '997S roadtest' you'll find dozens - there's even a site that compiled all the test results foe 911s of various ages so you can readily see the spread of times obtained.

Ian

Accel times are so dependent on surface conditions, tyre conditions, ambient temperature, clutch condition, and launch technique.

All the above make it very difficult to compare like with like. Consider the true time to be what YOU can get the car to accelerate as...

The best surface is an active aircraft runway (or drag strip) where the surface is both billiard board smooth and also very grippy. Use fresh tyres, fresh clutch, 4.5-5k rpm dialed up, side slip the clutch, and great balls of fire change gear near the redline. Lots of fun, but don't do it too often if you want to preserve your car!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back