Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fitting an aftermarket Head Unit to an 02 Boxster

elrao

Monza
A mate of mine has got an 02 boxster, 986 facelift model. He doesn't have PCM in his car and wants sat nav. I remember reading somewhere that the facelift cars (that would have come with PCM 2) use fibre optics between the HU and the Bose AMP, meaning it is not a simple job like it was on my 2001 996, where I just plugged in the Pioneer unit with an adapter harness and it all works perfectly!

Is the only option (other then buying a PCM2 unit) to replace the amp and all the wiring too? Which connections have Fibre Optics, is it just the HU to AMP, or are all the speakers attached with Fibre Optics too?

elrao said:
A mate of mine has got an 02 boxster, 986 facelift model. He doesn't have PCM in his car and wants sat nav. I remember reading somewhere that the facelift cars (that would have come with PCM 2) use fibre optics between the HU and the Bose AMP, meaning it is not a simple job like it was on my 2001 996, where I just plugged in the Pioneer unit with an adapter harness and it all works perfectly!

Is the only option (other then buying a PCM2 unit) to replace the amp and all the wiring too? Which connections have Fibre Optics, is it just the HU to AMP, or are all the speakers attached with Fibre Optics too?

If the car's a MY2003 (September 2002 onwards?) car it's going to be a MOST equipped car.

The speakers still use copper wiring but rather than terminating at the head unit, finish (or start ;) ) at the amp in the front, if you were to replace the CDR-23 (a MOST headunit) with an aftermarket unit, you would be advised to use an amp to replace the factory MOST one and run phonos (RCA) leads from the replacement unit to the amp.

Oh, the CD changer is MOST connected too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back