Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Insurance w/ no UK Driving histrory

vinner55

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie to both this website and 911's, and had a q redarding Insurance.

I'm a 29 yr old, who recently moved to London from the US, and am thinking of getting a 2-4yr old 997. Once I get my UK license, I realize I'll have no driving history here in the UK. Any feedback on what kind of annual Insurance premiums I'll be looking at, will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome

I believe you wil lbe in for a large sum.... However if I understand it correctly premiums in the US are generally higher than in the UK, so what would you expect to pay over there in a similar environment? ie Town/City/rural?

I recently got Insurance here after living in Aus....

Things to know and they ask.

If you're buying a performance car, have you had previous history etc of such a comparable car.
Do you have a UK licence? If not, don't even bother. Get yours converted.
Any No Claims bonus? You can provide proof from another country but the format needs to be in Years not percentage.
If you live in London like me, forget half the companies if you don't have a garage.
If you don't have a garage you'll need off-street private carpark etc or forget it.
They will also like you to have driven here and had your UK version licence for more than a week......

Be prepared to be shafted!

That aside, A Manning were the most helpful for me in my position. Most others just said nup, go away now....

Cheers,

vinner55 said:
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie to both this website and 911's, and had a q redarding Insurance.

I'm a 29 yr old, who recently moved to London from the US, and am thinking of getting a 2-4yr old 997. Once I get my UK license, I realize I'll have no driving history here in the UK. Any feedback on what kind of annual Insurance premiums I'll be looking at, will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Some insurers will take a US non-claims into consideration, just ask. My wife's a Californian and had her US insurer fax the relevant UK insurer. She's with Direct Line and still on her US licence.....she really must get round to getting her UK licence ;)

why not try a price comparison site such as tesco or gocompare? they will give you an idea. You might struggle to get Insurance on a 911 not only because you havent lived here for long, or had a UK licence for long, but also because of a lack of no claims bonus. If you have a proof of no claims from the US then insurers might accept that, so try and get that if you have it. Enjoy.

wagonface said:
why not try a price comparison site such as tesco or gocompare? they will give you an idea. You might struggle to get Insurance on a 911 not only because you havent lived here for long, or had a UK licence for long, but also because of a lack of no claims bonus. If you have a proof of no claims from the US then insurers might accept that, so try and get that if you have it. Enjoy.

I found price compare sites next to useless. Many don't even have Porsche....

Jeff said:
wagonface said:

I found price compare sites next to useless. Many don't even have Porsche....

They just don't understand the Australian accent :D

Jeff said:
[I found price compare sites next to useless. Many don't even have Porsche....

i tried confused.com , sucks balls .
i have modified car , and apparently too many mods :roll:

i think you would be better phoning direct line as the have previous (see above)

then try herts and aon . helpfull , and know what theyre talking about !!!

i still dont understand how people get points for a speeding conviction and dont have a premium rise .....

yet i upgrade my brakes to stop me from 70mph in about a third of the distance quoted in the highwaycode , and it makes my Insurance go up !!! :?

+ one for A Manning (a broker tel. 01491 578759) It might also help if you join PCGB

Thank you

Thanks very much for all your responses. It's all very helpful.

btw..I tried gocompare.com and no one would even insure me for a Porsche..

I'll getting a quote from the ones u suggested and try to have my California insurer get the docs over..

Thanks much!!

try elephant - they were the only ones who would give me a sensible quote when i had 0 no claims (996 was first car for 10yrs)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back