Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to site - Tinted Windows

danr

Firstly thought I'd say hi.

I'm particularly excited as I am departing from Boxster land as my new and first 911 is being delivered 1st week of Jan! (Tip, Black/Black, 19" Turbo wheels, sports exhaust).

Just have a question regarding window tinting. I've seen a couple of photos and reckon that blk/blk looks amazing with tinted windows.

Accordingly has anybody had porsche tint their windows and if so would you recommend?

Alternatively, any suggestions as to where I can get them tinted in and around london/home counties would be appreciated. Also any problems experienced with tinted windows?

Many thanks and look forward to contributing!

Rgds,

Dan

Welcome!

Bet you are excited. I haven't had mine tinted. Isn't there sometimes an Insurance issue with tinting of driver and passenger front tints?

I always go for rear tints as manufacturer option on larger cars.

Need any finance on the car?

Welcome Dan,

An interesting question as I am still undecided on whether to go for the tinted the 911 as well.

Legally, the front windows must allow in 75% natural light, so you would only legally get away with putting on light-smoke, but this could be countered by putting limo-black on the rear windows.

..with the black/black combination im sure this will no doubt enhance the look.

In terms of recc , there is a quite a few choices. First it depends what type of tints you want.

By definitions "tints" are film place on top of the existing glass. You can also go for the option of replacing the glass with actual "tinted glass" . if that makes sense :?:

Does OPC provide this option?
- Will dig up some firms that do this as well. Might have to be during the weekend thou.

Hi Dan, check Flatsix on here, he's had his done and it looks good.

I looked into it and found these guys near me.

http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/index.php

Spoke to them a few times and going over to see the workshop and what they can offer/do, legally I think I can only go for 30% tint which is 'smoked'.

I'll wait till we get some sun before I go ahead though :twisted:

I'm also looking to get mine done. Group buy anyone? I arranged one once on the VW forum that I belong to and we got 50% discount for 5 cars or more. I can get the professionals (who did our Golfs) to a location of our choice but they will require a double width garage to do the installation.

~ Maxie

The law has just recently changed which means the windows foward of the 'B' pillar must be the same as the windscreen, i.e. NO Tints.

My were done by Gary at GT Tints, just over the round-a-bout from the Porscheshop in Halesowen.

I only use my motor on private roads now, obviously. :wink:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments and welcomes!

I am beyond excited, just over three weeks to go!

I'm actually having Porsche do the tint - I've had a couple of quotes and they were only marginally more expensive (certainly not enough to merit the grief of taking it elsewhere) than the ones I'd received (£420)

C.Asfar you're correct that 75% is the maximum allowed. I could go for more, but don't want to cause problems and having seen samples 75% is enough effect.

And Flatsix, isn't every road private :wink:

Dont forget the before/after pictures!

Also, make sure they dont do a sloppy job-
- equal esges all round
- no bubbles/ creases
- no glue/excess any on the interior
- windows goes down without any problems.. (may not be able to test until 48hours after application)

Cheers!

Merry XMAS All!

Interesting thread for me as I'm just in the process of buying a pre-owned 996 from an OPC that has tinted windows already - reading the posts re the 75% rule, I'm now unsure whether the car would be compliant as the tint looks similar to that of the rear quarter and rear windows.

If the windows are not compliant, i) would the car fail its MOT, and ii) would the OPC be legally required to ensure they are made legal before sale ?

Thanks

When I bought mine the OPC took the existing tints off as they said that they were not Porsche standard

Thanks - Have clarified with OPC and they say the same... will take them off !!

I had mine done about a year ago, and I'm really impressed with the job they did. I don't have to worry about MOT's over here, but there are no scratches and the difference at night is negligable, it looks pretty good against the yellow paintwork too.

Max

Attachments

• tint_182.jpg
    tint_182.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 5,070
yes indeed, that works really well !! I'm going to keep the rear window and rear qtrs with their current tint as I think it works really well on a black car, and will have the fronts checked for the 30% law... will keep if they pass, will get opc to remove if not.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back