Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

please can someone explain the heat exchangers for me?

pirellipete

Barcelona
Guys,
I'm having trouble understanding where, how and what a heat exchanger does.

This is what I understand:
Engine cylinders connected to exhaust manifold via 3-1 branch pipe
Manifold goes into muffler box
Exhaust comes out of muffler and out of tail pipe

Now, I'm guessing that the H/E goes somewhere between the cylinders and the 3 branch manifold? and takes heat from the engine for the car heater?

If anyone has any simple diagrams or photos I'd be grateful, or can draw a basic flow diagram and pm or em, or post,

Have attached a photo that shows the exhaust, but still can't figure out the H/E, (not my photo or car,) photo courtesy of Fabspeed, thanks

as always, thanks in advance

Attachments

• 964_1_inst_197.jpg
    964_1_inst_197.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 5,582
LOL. That's because the car in that picture has no heat exchangers.

Heat exchanges are made from tinware that surrounds the exhaust headers. Imagine a tin box with the exhaust headers going though it. Air goes in one end cold (using air blown out of the engine cooling fan), heats up as it passes over the hot headers whilst within the box and then exits the box into a pipe that goes into the chassis rail then along the inside of the sils and out by the A posts up into the dash.

It's the air passing over the hot exhaust within the heat exchange boxes that provides the heat. That's why air cooled cars always have hot air available almost imediately.

Ian.

The reason it's not obvious is that the heat exchanger is merely a box which surrounds the exhaust manifold - except in the case of the picture above which, as Ian said, doesn't have any.

The purpose of the heat exchanger is to allow air from the blower to pass over the exhaust manifold and hence pick up heat which is then carried forward through the pipework to the dash area into the mixing chamber where is is then distributed as you decide.

As I'm sure you'll realise, in a regular water cooled car the heat is taken from the cooling water through the heater matrix. With an air-cooled car you obviously don't have such a heat source so it has to come - albeit somewhat more efficiently - from the engine directly.

Hope that makes it clearer.

Regards

Dave

Dave Wilkinson said:
With an air-cooled car you obviously don't have such a heat source so it has to come - albeit somewhat more efficiently - from the engine directly.

Arguable. While it technically costs you (air people) nothing to gain that heat, we (water babies) actually gain from using the heater in that we provide the engine with another heat exchanger to remove heat from the water. In fact, once when travelling across the Nullabor in Aus with a blocked radiator we removed the heater core from the heater and hung it out the front of the car to provide more radiator.... and yep, worked well :)

The right heat exchanger on this pic is the silver/bronze tube just to the right of the trolley jack:

P3250475.jpg

Below is a pic of one off the car.

Boy, that fabspeed engine is clean! 8)

Attachments

• heat_exchanger_544.jpg
    heat_exchanger_544.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 5,527
Thanks guys,
It all becomes clear now :idea:

Thanks for the time, and photos, taken to explain this,

Every day, in every way, I'm getting better !!!!!!! etc etc :D

i have noticed, no doubt seagull has to some extent, just how how the actual shell becomes.

after 15 mins of ticking over, i can barely touch the rear bulkhead \ seat area, mind you that is just bare metal...

demonfish said:
i have noticed, no doubt seagull has to some extent, just how how the actual shell becomes.

after 15 mins of ticking over, i can barely touch the rear bulkhead \ seat area, mind you that is just bare metal...

Too true, and don't sit on the left hand rear wing after a thrash or you'll barbeque your @rse.

Again, just being a bit slow here,

The increased heat is because you DON'T have heat exchangers??

Mine gets warm over the right rear but I thought that was the oil cooler

...front right wing is above the oil cooler on a 993 (good place to lean against on a cold day). The barbecues at the right and left rear wings i thought was down to heat rising from the exhaust boxes etc.

cheers

tim

Yes but the rear drivers side wing has a rather hot and quite large tank of oil tucked inside it hence getting hot. You'll also see steam coming out of the rear arch on wet days like this when you park up after a spirited drive for the same reason.

Ian.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back