Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

heat exchangers- replace when?

pirellipete

Barcelona
having had my car now for a few months and learnt all sorts of things about it, here's another question please.

When I was looking to buy, lots of adverts said, 'Heat exchangers recently replaced', or similar,

How do I know when my heat exchangers need replacing ??

Is it something as simple as oil temp goes up and runs hotter than normal??

cheers

Pete,

Heat exchangers are basically, the exhaust manifold. Because the air cooled engine has no water jacket, the heating system is derived from the heat of the exhaust and the air from the rear blower is ducted through a metal jacket built around the manifolds - hence the term "heat exchanger".

The standard heat exchangers are made of mild steel and, over time, are likely to rust and, ultimately, crumble. The reason to replace them would be air or exhaust leakage - or just a desire to replace rusty bits with shiny bits. Replacement stainless steel heat exchangers will obviously not succumb to the rust in a similar way but are significantly more expensive.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Thats sorted that one now, I was toying with the idea to replace exhaust with stainless system when it goes, so that has really just helped me confirm the decision.

I guess the cost, spread over many years make's it less painful !!

cheers

I would have thought when they said they replaced the heat exchangers they are talking about the shrouds that catch the hot air from the manifolds, not the manifolds themselves.....but that's my thinking.... It would be obvious after looking under the car - the shiny bits are new :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back